News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Re:Bandon Dunes--Random Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 10:21:57 PM »
Tim,

I don't understand why the change of clientele is not a good thing?

Isn't more people experincing all of what Bandon has to offer a good thing?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Pitner

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 12:31:24 AM »

I believe #1 on Trails is one of the best holes on the course. You sit high above the hole and can gaze in a 360 degree panorama. The sweeping fairway and the testing approach makes for a fine hole.

Matt,

You know, I kind of regretted saying that #1 didn't do a whole lot for me after I wrote it.  There are certainly things I like about it--the vista, as you mentioned, and a good approach shot.  My criticism comes on the tee shot--I didn't love the half-pipe look of the fairway.  With the wind behind us, we didn't need to hit much more than 4 irons and, with the margin of error being so large on the right because of the slope, there just wasn't much to the shot.  Overall, I'd say it's a good hole, but I think it'd be a better hole without the half-pipe fairway.  

John,

I'm as big of an advocate of Bandon's as you'll find, so I'm not going to tell anyone they shouldn't go there.  The Oregon coast there, alone, is worth a trip.  Add in the worldclass golf and walking only policy and it's amazing.  But, the golf-centric attitude there has been diminished some by the "new clientele."  It used to be a place for Scotland or Ireland-style golf pilgrimages.  That's still true for some people, but now it also seems like more of a place for spending a random weekend or playing social or business golf.  

It has lost some of the "feel" that made it really unique in the US.  Tom Huckaby warned me of this and I hoped he was wrong, but he wasn't.  Don't get me wrong--Bandon is still fantastic and it's not nearly as pretentious as the Monterey Peninsula, for example, but it's more pretentious than it used to be.  I don't regard this as a good thing.  I'm sure it's good for Mike Keiser and Kemper though.  It doesn't spoil the fun that much.  I had my best trip yet to Bandon, which I attribute mostly to the additions (for me) of Sheep Ranch and Bandon Trails.

John Foley

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 07:59:09 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for the clarification. What would not suprise me in the least is if these new destination places don't end up w/ some level of pretension. Given the green fee's of these places your going to get less of the hard core golfers and more of the people who have more discretionary income.

One of best friends in the world anmd the guy I play most of my golf with would die to go to there, but alas on a school teachers salary to fly across the country and pay $150+ for a day of golf, is very very tough if not impossible.
Integrity in the moment of choice

ed_getka

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »
Matt,
   I am curious what you find so great about #3 at BT?

Bill,
   No complaining about the state of your game when you get in more rounds in 2 months than I do in a year. ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 09:59:03 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2006, 06:26:06 PM »
Ed, we're looking for quality, not quantity!  ??? ::) :P

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2006, 08:01:35 PM »
Matt- sometimes I wonder if we're playing the same golf course.  I don't think too many people think the 1st hole is all that great.  Yea, it's got a pretty good view but the half pipe effect mentioned above makes the tee shot just ok, and downwind it's just a flip wedge in.  
    I thought 11 was pretty cool being pretty long and with the beautiful pond on the right.  12 is a real mansize par 3 from the back and the drive on 13 with the view of the entire hole set up the way it is is just great.  Just my humble opinion.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 09:11:31 PM »
Matt,
   I am curious what you find so great about #3 at BT?

Ed,

You will note I'm not Matt.  After the drive, there isn't much to the hole, to be honest (although I still like it).  The view from the tee, however, is as enticing as virtually any hole at Bandon, Pacific Dunes #2 being the obvious exception.

ed_getka

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006, 10:02:10 PM »
Tim,
    I like the hole too, but I wouldn't call it great. I know Matt said it is, and I think Tom Doak thinks highly of it, so I am curious to hear what I am missing. A right pin is fairly interesting, but I wonder if there is anything intriguing about the left side of the green that I may have missed?

Bill,
    No worries, I'm just jealous. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 10:03:20 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2006, 11:12:05 PM »
I don't know if you can call #1 at BT great, but I would definately call it good.  The green is crowned with some interesting chipping areas in front and on the sides.

I would also point out that the hole cannot be dismissed as just "just a flip wedge."  As all holes at Bandon, conditions change things greatly.  In two plays, I hit 6-iron into the green with a 20 mph breeze in the face, and the second time, my tee shot from the back tee into a 40-50 mph monsoon landed softly on the forward tee!

I think its a somewhat benign opener, but a good roly-poly fairway.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back