News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Red Tail: Devens, Mass
« on: June 14, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »
For those of you not familiar with the NE area, Red Tail designed by Brian Silva is an excellent track and I would recommend it to anyone traveling in this area.

Wonderful topography, routing, superb bunkering, only 1 water hole on the course, on 18 and it is excellent, a real treat.
Hats off to Brian Silva :) :) :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Red Tail: Devens, Mass
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:00:31 AM »
Cary

Did you buy a hat? ;D

Actually, this past February I played a Red Tail CC north of Orlando and was impressed. David Harmon designed this course on rolling farmland with some elevation changes, rare for Florida.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 10:08:27 AM »
Bag tag, one of those heavy metal ones ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:24:19 AM »
Cary, how were the greens?  I have loved Red Tail since it opened, but the greens have been a constant problem for them, especially #1 and #3.

It might be related to the fact that when you try to repair a ball mark, you dig up pebbles with your tool.

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I am always hoping that they can get the greens.

Favorite holes?  I have too many to list, but I really like #6 (short, downhill par 4 with a nasty dropoff at the green), #8 (a driveable par 4, but the one time I tried it, I drove into the front bunker and took a double), #14 (great punchbowl green), #16 and #17.

I guess I ended up listing most of them anyway...

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:01:09 PM »
Told ya it rocked!

Wait'll you getta loada Black Rock!

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:25:54 PM »
Jay, I have played Red Tail about a dozen times, and Black Rock only once, but I have a strong preference for Red Tail.

Part of it is the housing that encroaches on some holes at Black Rock.  I can't remember the hole number (shotgun start confuses me), but par 5 that doglegs left has some houses that make it very difficult to see the lines of play.

I really liked Black Rock, but if I had to choose, it would be Red Tail.*

* Assuming the greens are OK these days!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:57:36 AM »
Martin:

The greens were lightly cross veri-cut, a bit slow, but putted very true, so I can not really answer your question.

Cary

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 10:08:10 AM »
but putted very true...

That's the answer.  They have always been extremely slow and very bumpy, and some of them (#1 and #3) were just unputtable.

Thanks!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back