News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

poor, poor Delaware
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:07:21 PM »
gotta go out east in July and while planning my golf games  ;D and looking at my atlas it made me think that there is no REALLY good golf course in Deleware, is there?  why not??
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:18:38 PM by Paul T »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joe Hancock

Re:poor, poor Deleware
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:12:44 PM »
Because you don't plan on taking your wife. having her throw a birdie or two at ya, then exclaim " This is a really good course!" ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:14:45 PM »
we're even Grandpa cause I just insulted you on another thread!

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:35:33 PM »
Delaware is pretty darn close to Philadelphia and there's GREAT golf in these parts.  

As for Delaware itself, hmmm...I haven't seen the championship course at DuPont CC since the recent work by Lester George.  I heard tell it is improved.  The very private Bidermann is a very nice Dick Wilson course near Wilmington.  Hercules CC by Alfred Tull (Flynn proposed a plan that was not accepted) is OK.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 04:59:07 PM »
Delaware has some nice courses over near the ocean - I haven't played them but some friends with beach houses really enjoy them.

John Gosselin

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 05:00:21 PM »
Wilmington CC's south course is probably the best in the state that I have played. Most of the new stuff in the southern part of the state is geared towards resort type golf or retirement community golf. Functional, but nothing memorable.

I think most of the golden age courses that would be considered good are gone or are at least altered to the point of no return.

It is odd that there isn't at least a few really good old member type courses considering what Philly and Baltimore have to offer.

Lester did a wonderful job at DuPont considering what he had to work with and the type of course that was required to meet the member's needs.
Great golf course architects, like great poets, are born, note made.
Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer 1922

Dan Boerger

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 06:45:03 PM »
Another fine course in Delaware (just over the PA border) is Fieldstone. I've had lots of fun there over the years ... and the pitch off for the member guest takes place just off the patio and onto a trecherous (to hold) 18th green.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 08:18:21 PM »
I fixed my spelling error, Professor!

Sean Leary

Re:poor, poor Delaware
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 08:23:46 PM »
I enjoyed Wilmington CC a lot, seemed like a great place to be a member with two very different courses.  The South is Classic RTJ and a very tough test, in my opinion.  Definitely worth a looksee..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back