News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

Calling Brad Klein and Other Open Attendees!!!
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:26:48 PM »
How tough does it look?  What is a safe range for the winning score?  Are there any looming disaster areas on any of the greens?

Brad Klein

Re:Calling Brad Klein and Other Open Attendees!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:40:05 PM »
Dropped my laptop in the rough yesterday and couldn't find it!

It's very thick but even rough, and the graduated concept appears to be well-prepped and the players seem to think it is fair. They are not double-cutting greens or rolling the greens, and will be single mowing (or perhaps double-cutting) only to get speeds in 12.5 range, not much above.

If course continues to dry out and if wind above 10 mph materialies, it will play very tough. But the course is extremely fair. You never know with scores, but there will surely be an enormous spread in scores and little compression of the talent field.

I think the major rough, 3.5-4.5 inches, will be very hard to hit anything more than an 8-9 iron out, and in aa case it'll have no spin. Fairways are the issue; Mickelson said yesterday that distance wasn't the issue. I never is with these guys. But here, fairways in regulation will go a long way towards determining the winner.

You'l see very high scores occasionlly on 8 and 15, two of the hardest holes to hit the fairway.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:32:52 PM »
Dropped my laptop in the rough yesterday and couldn't find it!

LOL  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 02:51:45 PM »
Brad, Thanks for the info...

Once again, we had a Brad TiVo moment last night.  It was nice to hear Brad ask a golf-related question posed to Tiger (I think it was about whether he'd try to drive #6).  

This, after so many questions about his father, some of which were head-scratchers.  To be fair, there were some very good questions about his dad too.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:53:14 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »
This tournament will be about fairways and greens AND chipping and putting...to the extreme.

Peter Kessler on XM radio the other day recalled a story about asking Jack Nicklaus to rate the courses in the US Open rota from 1-10. After giving most of them 7 or 8 in terms of difficulty, PK asked JN about Winged Foot. His response was that it is a 12.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 06:49:38 PM »
tlavin:

The course is still quite soft from the rains that came int he middle of last week. The rough, as Brad indicated, is more than fair and the players have not complained thus far as well they should.

The forecast is for some isolated t-storms this evening but very little rain through the balance of the championship.

The key will be who can handle the first four holes and the final three. Play those holes in even par or better and you can be sure the person doing that will be in hot contention for the trophy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back