News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter_Collins

How many Doak points do you have?
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:47:49 PM »
From the WSJ article:

Luke Reese, a private-equity executive in Chicago, says he and his friends exchanged the book as a Christmas gift in 1996. Then in 1997, they spent a year competing to see who could collect the most points based on the Doak Scale. Playing a course rating, say, a 5 would earn them five points.

Other the author himself who has the most Doak points?  

George Pazin

Re:How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 05:51:33 PM »
Whatever the total is, you can bet Matt Ward has the most. :)

Actually, he might not, since he plays a lot of modern courses that Tom hasn't rated.

I'm pretty sure I have the least, maybe less than 20.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:32:04 PM »
If only I could get my hands on a copy - it would be nice !!!

I can't find it anywhere in Australia....I wish Tom would do a reprint of it.

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 09:15:43 PM »
If it's Doak couirses I'm a zero!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Steve_Roths

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:23:55 PM »
I would bet that Quassi has the most.  

Peter_Collins

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 11:33:32 PM »

I have 129 Doak points to date.

peter_p

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 02:40:06 AM »
Total 751 -301 in North America, 450 Rest of World. Not counting repeat rounds. Thanks, it took me away from the Sunday Soduko.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 04:39:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure I have the least, maybe less than 20.

You might be tied for least, but only if you have zero, because that's what I have.

What is the most points possible you can get -- i.e. if you play every course in the book?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 04:40:08 AM by Jim Nugent »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 08:56:38 AM »
Jim:  There are something like 850 courses in the book.  If the average grade is something like 5.3 -- despite all the complaints about how tough I am, I believe the average grade is above 5.0 -- then there are about 4500 points up for grabs.

I am sure I know a handful of people who are up over 3000 points.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »
This is very frustrating!  As a numbers guy, I want to know my number, and how I compare to everybody else.

But in referring to the ratings at at http://www.doakscale.com/courses, I can't find the numbers!

If someone were to loan me their copy of the book, I would gladly type up the numbers and post them, so that this can be a more scientific endeavor...

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »

I am sure I know a handful of people who are up over 3000 points.

Shouldn't professionals be excluded?

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 09:25:42 AM »
A meager 547 but my average per course is high  ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:26:05 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »
Mark:

I wasn't thinking about any pro golfers who are up to 3000 points.  I doubt there is one.  The only way to accumulate that kind of total is to be an obsessive traveler.  There are seven or eight people who have played all of the GOLF Magazine top 100 courses in the world, a few of whom have played the majority of the courses in the next 250 ... those are the people who probably have the highest point totals.

There's probably someone out there with more "Doak points" than me, because I have not played nearly all of the courses I rated myself.  I have probably only played 60-65% of the courses in the book.  Understand, that many of them were seen when I was 21-23 years old and would not have been welcome as a walk-in; and sometimes back then I walked 3 courses in a day and wouldn't have had time to play them if I had been welcome.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 03:01:06 PM »
How do you add up a bunch of Doak Scale "0"'s?  

I'm willing to bet that I've played as many courses that would rank as Doak 0-3's as anyone in the world, almost none of which have been included in the book.  

I've also been lucky to have played some at the other end of the spectrum and plenty in between.  

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »
A meager 547 but my average per course is high  ;)

hey that's no so meager Wayne, esp when mine is 358, which doesn't include anything 4 or below
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joe Andriole

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 04:51:51 PM »
Not that it really matters but I suspect that there are some of us who have more "Doak points" than the author since he didn't play many of the courses he rated.  I once thought that a serious shortcoming but have since realized that Mr. Doak's powers of observation and evaluation seem quite keen regardless of whether he endured/enjoyed 18 holes.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 03:47:18 PM »
One of my aforementioned friends e-mailed today to say he'd gone through the book and totalled his career at 2,355 Doak points.

So I just went through it and came up with 2,677 for myself.  There are still a lot of courses I didn't play, so there must be between 3,500 and 4,000 total points in the book.  So there's a target for everyone to shoot for.

However, I suspect the more courses you've seen (especially the best ones), the less important it becomes to play a course in order to visualize what's going on.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 04:50:42 PM »
Lots  ;D

Michael Moore

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 05:10:48 PM »
I am a Doak 7 - I have many outstanding features and if you find yourself within 100 miles of South Portland you should come and see me.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 05:13:37 PM »
I thought I would have more but approximately 190.5. I say approximately because Tralee was scored 0-5.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 05:20:17 PM »
How about the most Doak points accumulated in the last three months - Fenway, Cherry Hills, CC of Fairfield, Yale, TCC Brookline, Pine Valley, Plainfield, Fox Chapel, The European Club, North Berwick, Kingsbarns, The Old Course at St. Andrews, The New Course at St. Andrews, Spyglass Hill, Pebble Beach, The Shore Course at Monterrey CC, and Cypress Point.   I don't know what this adds up to but it's a decent list  ;D

Bill Gayne

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »
Wayne, good point on quality over quantity. I've played two tens and whole bunch of 0-5. I'd trade my quantity for quality any day.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 10:30:09 PM »
53 courses for 302 points.  Average 5.7.  Only 10s - TOC and Cypress Point.  It was fun going through the book, lots of old memories.  ;D

I imagine courses like the Valley Club (7) and Meadow Club (5) would go up in ratings after recent renovation work.  Conversely, any chance the Pine Barrens course at World Woods is still an 8?

Also, has the Coore Crenshaw course at Barton Creek ever been rated with a Doak rating?   I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than the Fazio courses there.

Not to stir up any anti-Fazio discussions!  ::)

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 11:02:13 PM »
26 courses, 133 points. 5.1 avg.

Many of the the 200 or so I've played are newer courses
or ones Doak would steer clear of.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:13:19 PM by Craig_Rokke »

ed_getka

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 02:05:50 AM »
Interesting to find I have 249 US, 51 in UK from my one visit. 50+ more on the way next spring when I go to Australia/NZ depending on how much of the Sandbelt we cover.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back