News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »
Bill,

That ain't gonna happen.  Pony up for the book,  It's well worth it IMO...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott_Burroughs

Re:How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »

I'm now at 88 (25 more Confidential Guide courses in six years) for a total of 502 points, 5.7 average.

Bill,

We're pretty close.  I'm at 89 courses for 522 points.

Mine are all U.S. except for one course (Port Royal in Bermuda when I was 19).  Overseas didn't happen when I turned 40....maybe 50 now....who knows?  Heck, I haven't even played in Canada.

As for the T-shirt, it at least should have a spelling error on it.  ;D   A Doke Scale 10 for quirk!

Cory Lewis

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:43 PM »
Well I just spent 1/2 hour counting up my points and I was surprised.  I haven't looked in the book in a while and I discovered there were a lot of 4 & 5's I've added in the last couple years.  My total was over 1000 and my average was 6.2.  Just for fun I did my wife's total and she was 52 with a 5.2 average  ;D
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mark Smolens

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
Well I just spent 1/2 hour counting up my points and I was surprised.  I haven't looked in the book in a while and I discovered there were a lot of 4 & 5's I've added in the last couple years.  My total was over 1000 and my average was 6.2.  Just for fun I did my wife's total and she was 52 with a 5.2 average  ;D

Cory, I hope your wife doesn't look at this . . . a guy who tells the world his bride is a 5.2???

Doug Wright

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
US 312, ROW (really just Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland) 221 Total 533
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dave McCollum

« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
I’m far too lazy to enter this bragging contest by actually looking up the courses and coming up with a total.  Once, however, I did make a list (from my suspect memory) of the courses I played and assigned imaginary Doak numbers to each.  The list is in a spreadsheet, so easy to look up and do the arithmetic.  For the purpose of participating in this survey (How crazed are we?), here are my numbers:

Courses played—91
Total imaginary Doak points—446 (4.9 average)
Imaginary high/low lights—3 tens and 6 ones
Estimated courses with a Doak score—19 (7.11 average); 15 in Scotland/Ireland/N. Ireland
Estimated total Doak points—135 (from memory of reading the courses listed in the book)

Conclusions:  I don’t get out much and will play anywhere/anything; I’m not as big a nutcase as I thought judging by the leaders in the clubhouse; safely out of danger of being committed or being taken seriously.

Disclamer:  Only been playing avid golf as a crazy man for 15 years.  Only took it up when I thought that I was too old to be any good at it and, therefore, wouldn’t become addicted to trying to get better.  That didn’t work out, of course, about the addiction part, but was reasonably accurate in terms of competence.

Jason Topp

« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2012, 12:47:28 AM »
411 - 65 courses.  I have a much better batting average overseas than I do east of the Mississippi.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
854 Points Total -- Average Rating 6.14

585 US Points - Average 6.03

269 ROW Points - Average 6.56

Updated:

1037 Points Total -- Average Rating 6.21 (167 Courses)

756 US Points -- Average 6.10 (124 Courses)

281 ROW Points -- Average 6.53 (43 Courses)

Maybe I should get a T-shirt made up for anyone who gets to 1,000 points. 

When can I expect my shirt?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:59:40 PM by Mark Saltzman »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
1688 for me
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mark Steffey

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »
now that i have a copy of my own, i see i got almost... nothing! :)

59 courses, 326 pts  (5.525avg)

18 states
1 province

1 nine
8 eights
5 sevens
19 sixes
11 fives
6 fours
8 threes
and a 1!  (fresh pond in cambridge mass)

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
1385 pts
Played the National when it would warrent a 0--3 club wind

Tom_Doak

« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
1385 pts
Played the National when it would warrent a 0--3 club wind

I hope you mean The National in Australia.

The National Golf Links of America would not warrant a 0 unless it was three feet underwater.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2013, 12:52:54 PM »
I played Stone Harbor twice in one day, does having a double zero change my point total? Or is it like a par in a Stableford tournament?

Since I have multiple zeros, would that mean - under the theory that anything multiplied by zero equals zero - my total would be wiped out?

It has been a while, but I believe Tom warned that playing such a course would surely "poison your mind."

This might explain my frequent vectors into outer space.

Actually, I think we ought to be awarded *extra points* for playing incredibly bad golf courses - in film school we had a yearly "Bad Movie Marathon," the finale invariably being the classically bad "Plan Nine From Outer Space."

Then Cimino's "Heaven's Gate" was released and that spoiled the fun. Low-water mark or not, nobody wanted to sit through it twice - a bit like Van Helsing years later.

It might be worth turning this brag-a-thon on its ear and awarding a special prize to the player with the lowest aggregate of Doak points with a minimum of 20 courses.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:55:01 PM by Gib Papazian »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
Gib:

I'd suggest that whoever has the lowest average automatically wins the anti-snobbery thread, which seemed like some sort of contest to me.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
Sven,

The way to win the "Anti-Snobbery" thread is to identify the Treehouse dweller who has played the highest number of courses so insignificant, they never made the Confidential Guide.

Or you can average then into the total tally of courses - in the book or not - awarding one point for each (provided they did not open after the last version was published).

If that is the case, I'm in the running for having played several hundred courses nobody has ever heard of - like going twice a week to watch a grindhouse exploitation movie. 

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »
I was certainly relating to the snake infested wind exposed problem course far down the Mornington Penninsula.  Hope the Penninsula Club courses will achieve a Doak review in the new guide. 
I had the misfortune of playing Stone Harbor in a pretty big tournament.  I landed too many balls in the middle of the fairway vs trees and rough sideboards and missed more fairways than could ever imagine.  Still remember backing up a 6 iron more than 50 yards after landing a couple feet from an all the way back pin on the par 3 prior to Jaws.  First and only time I ever drove home from a missed cut and felt very good about my game!

Anders Rytter

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
Sven,

The way to win the "Anti-Snobbery" thread is to identify the Treehouse dweller who has played the highest number of courses so insignificant, they never made the Confidential Guide.

Or you can average then into the total tally of courses - in the book or not - awarding one point for each (provided they did not open after the last version was published).

If that is the case, I'm in the running for having played several hundred courses nobody has ever heard of - like going twice a week to watch a grindhouse exploitation movie.  

I would be very surprised if the member that has played the most courses not in The Condidential Guide is from North America or GB&I.

Also, if this holds true, i would guess that the "Winner" has a fairly high average-Doak for the courses he/she has played that are in the book.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:28:11 PM by Anders Rytter »

David Davis

« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2013, 03:32:16 PM »
I guess I don't love competition I have no way of winning.

...but I still had to check.

391 pts total. Lots coming this year. Lots of in my opinion good to very good courses played that didn't get rated. Ahem...my home club, De Pan, Eindhoven, Le Zoute, Royal Waterloo and several others. Lots in the book I have no intention of ever visiting to be honest, unless at some point I live across the street. Highly unlikely.

Only 96 pts. gained in the US. Cali being good for 50 and Illinois being good for 28. Clearly as an American my US achievements are sad at best.

The easiest way to build up my totals....head to London and start playing Heathland courses it seems. Then hit New York and start writing letters to friends.

Frustrating exercise knowing that a mutual friend of Mr. Doak and myself has played in the neighborhood of like 2500 courses. I guess he's the winner. Congrats to him, plus even more amazing is that he seems to remember them all.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jim Smith Jr

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2013, 06:38:04 AM »
1011 points
164 courses
6.16 average

I am a fortunate man!

Joe Andriole

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
Rainy day in Central Florida; fun exercise, many great memories, renewed respect for CG.

Doak Points:

1392 - USA
1429 - ROW

2821 - tot

It is truly remarkable how many courses Mr Doak has seen and given us good reason not to play

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »
I played Stone Harbor twice in one day, does having a double zero change my point total? Or is it like a par in a Stableford tournament?

Since I have multiple zeros, would that mean - under the theory that anything multiplied by zero equals zero - my total would be wiped out?

It has been a while, but I believe Tom warned that playing such a course would surely "poison your mind."

This might explain my frequent vectors into outer space.

Actually, I think we ought to be awarded *extra points* for playing incredibly bad golf courses - in film school we had a yearly "Bad Movie Marathon," the finale invariably being the classically bad "Plan Nine From Outer Space."

Then Cimino's "Heaven's Gate" was released and that spoiled the fun. Low-water mark or not, nobody wanted to sit through it twice - a bit like Van Helsing years later.

It might be worth turning this brag-a-thon on its ear and awarding a special prize to the player with the lowest aggregate of Doak points with a minimum of 20 courses.

24 Doak-rated courses played for a grand total of 109 points, or a Doak average of 4.54.

There's a 0, a 1, and a 2 on my list. And those three courses are the ones I've probably played more than all the others combined.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
Can someone please type up the ratings and/or upload a spreadsheet? And my apologies to Tom and his publisher in advance if that implies plagiarism in any sort -- just trying to join the discussion!

Apologies to Tom but why is the above out of the question? I, too, would love to tot up my numbers and identify the gaps in my education!

jeffwarne

« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2013, 05:52:04 PM »
Rainy day in Central Florida; fun exercise, many great memories, renewed respect for CG.

Doak Points:

1392 - USA
1429 - ROW

2821 - tot

It is truly remarkable how many courses Mr Doak has seen and given us good reason not to play

Leader in the clubhouse?
Well done
I'd argue that there are many courses in the book ranked 4 or below well worth playing
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »
Usually I find lists like this somewhat silly, but I enjoyed this one because it allowed me to think back on both the dog tracks and the great places I've been to. I've been lucky and hopefully I'm able to add to it for years to come.

252 points total. 44 Courses played, 5.73 average rating. I would imagine it goes up with the inclusion of the Bandon Courses, Cape Kidnappers, the Barnbougle courses, St. Andrews Beach, Rustic Canyon, etc.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2013, 07:53:34 PM »
I have played 30 courses with a total Doak score of 201, for an average of 6.7. I guess I've made up for lack of quantity with lots of 6s, 7s, and 8s.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back