News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Kearns

Re:How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 05:25:13 PM »
I have accumulated 73 Doak points over 10 courses, a high average, but it is painfully obvious how badly I need to see more golf courses.

TK

John Goodman

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 06:40:20 PM »
131 points in US (avg 6.2); 163 rest of world (avg. 6.8).  The ROW points are likely to always stay ahead of the U.S. points, I think, since so many of the reviewed U.S. courses (especially the better ones) are private, while every trip abroad will likely result in 40-50 points.

Mark Saltzman

Re: How many Doak points do you have?
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
854 Points Total -- Average Rating 6.14

585 US Points - Average 6.03

269 ROW Points - Average 6.56

Stephen Davis

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »
How about the most Doak points accumulated in the last three months - Fenway, Cherry Hills, CC of Fairfield, Yale, TCC Brookline, Pine Valley, Plainfield, Fox Chapel, The European Club, North Berwick, Kingsbarns, The Old Course at St. Andrews, The New Course at St. Andrews, Spyglass Hill, Pebble Beach, The Shore Course at Monterrey CC, and Cypress Point.   I don't know what this adds up to but it's a decent list  ;D

Holy! That is quite the list! I am in awe of many of these point totals. It gives me a great goal to reach for! I have not been able to obtain a copy of the book, but my guess is I am somewhere between 50-100. Definitely need to get that point total up.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »
With my penchant for replays and dislike of golf trips lasting more than 3-4 days, I am very surprised to be at 597.  Even more surprising is an average rating of 6.09.  I would have guessed more like 5ish.  

I can't imagine ever getting close 1000 let alone 3000.  That is some serious commitment to seeing new courses!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
What newer courses (and any old ones that slipped through the cracks) would you like to see a rating for?

Here are a few: 

Pacific Dunes, Old MacDonald, Bandon Trails, Bandon Dunes

Ballyneal, Kingsley, Greywalls, Erin Hills, Chambers Bay, Wild Horse, Wine Valley, Bay Side

Barnbougle Dunes, Lost Farm, St. Andrew's Beach

Whistling Straits (Straits and Irish), Arcadia Bluffs, Lost Dunes

We-Ko-Pa (Both), Talking Stick (Both), Vista Verde

Lakota Canyon, Hawktree, Links of ND, Bully Pulpit, Blackstone, The Harvester

Doonbeg, The European Club

Flossmoor, Knollwood (IL), Siwanoy, Greenbrier (Old White)
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

jeffwarne

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »
I'm more concerned with getting more Arble points ;) ;D
although even he might turn up his nose at a few of my haunts ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Either not enough or too many. I haven't decided yet! ;)

David Amarnek

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
I am humbled by what I've read so far.
I'm at a mere 427 points with an average of 6.78
Quality, definitely not the quantity!
Speaking of quality, I just returned from one of my many golf trips back home to Philly and again played 4 amazing nearby courses: Merion (East and West), Pine Valley and Gulph Mills!  

Ben Sims

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
I don't have a Confidential Guide, so I can't add them up. 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 09:24:58 PM »
What newer courses (and any old ones that slipped through the cracks) would you like to see a rating for?

Here are a few:  

Pacific Dunes, Old MacDonald, Bandon Trails, Bandon Dunes

Ballyneal, Kingsley, Greywalls, Erin Hills, Chambers Bay, Wild Horse, Wine Valley, Bay Side

Barnbougle Dunes, Lost Farm, St. Andrew's Beach

Whistling Straits (Straits and Irish), Arcadia Bluffs, Lost Dunes

We-Ko-Pa (Both), Talking Stick (Both), Vista Verde

Lakota Canyon, Hawktree, Links of ND, Bully Pulpit, Blackstone, The Harvester

Doonbeg, The European Club

Flossmoor, Knollwood (IL), Siwanoy, Greenbrier (Old White)

My guide is at the office, did he rate Sand Hills? Cape Kidnappers?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 09:31:47 PM »
Sand Hills is a 9.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »
I don't know about Doak points, but I've tallied a cumulative Plumart score of 11,860.97, so far.  With an average rating of 85.33072.

High Score of 100.25 for The Old Course in Scotland. 
Low Score of 23 for The Hooch in Suwanee, GA.

I love Tom, but the only scale I care about is The Plumart Scale.

8) :-* 8)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12:49 AM »
Mac,

Shouldn't we get Doak points for enduring deerflies, cowpies and ATVs getting stuck to get a personal tour of a course so new it consisted entirely of bushmowed fairways, utility flags and plans for where cows could get a drink?  8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:14:39 AM by Doug Siebert »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 12:35:21 AM »
Sand Hills is a 9.

Really?  I thought Doak ranked it a 10. 

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »
383,  6.38 average.  Most glaring holes- England and Australia.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:05 AM »
I'm more concerned with getting more Arble points ;) ;D
although even he might turn up his nose at a few of my haunts ;D

You jest!  Your Irish travels (backed up by the guys in country providing the pix you won't - tee hee) are now my main source of information.  Its too bad the Irish Sea is getting in the way of a good thing!

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »
Sand Hills is a 9.

Just double-checked, it's a 9.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »
I don't know about Doak points, but I've tallied a cumulative Plumart score of 11,860.97, so far.  With an average rating of 85.33072.

Tell me about this Plumart Scale...
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
Sand Hills is a 9.

I rated Sand Hills a 9 in the limited edition printing of the Confidential Guide -- which came out in 1994, before it was open for play.  It was in much the same state as our course at Dismal River was for those of you who toured it last summer.  I thought a 9 was about as high as I could go, under the circumstances.

I didn't re-rate it to a 10 based on two rounds at the pre-opening, which was all I'd had a chance to play it in 1996, when the main book came out.  I think I said right in the text that I would have to be a bit more familiar with any course before I was comfortable awarding it a 10.

I've said in posts here that I would give a 10 to Sand Hills and Pacific Dunes if I were updating the book today.  I'm fairly certain those would be the only two additional 10's.  But, anything built since 1996 is not officially rated.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »
Sand Hills is a 9.

I rated Sand Hills a 9 in the limited edition printing of the Confidential Guide -- which came out in 1994, before it was open for play.  It was in much the same state as our course at Dismal River was for those of you who toured it last summer.  I thought a 9 was about as high as I could go, under the circumstances.

I didn't re-rate it to a 10 based on two rounds at the pre-opening, which was all I'd had a chance to play it in 1996, when the main book came out.  I think I said right in the text that I would have to be a bit more familiar with any course before I was comfortable awarding it a 10.

I've said in posts here that I would give a 10 to Sand Hills and Pacific Dunes if I were updating the book today.  I'm fairly certain those would be the only two additional 10's.  But, anything built since 1996 is not officially rated.

Rock Creek wouldn't garner a 10?
Mr Hurricane

Sean Leary

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »
Sand Hills is a 9.

Rock Creek wouldn't garner a 10?

Jim,

Next time I go to Rock Creek I want to go with you or Shivas to see what you guys see there that the rest of us are obviously missing.. ;)

Stephen Davis

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012, 01:08:41 PM »
Sand Hills is a 9.

I haven't played Sand Hills, but from what I heard a 10 would be merited and I absolutely agree with a 10 on Pacific Dunes, but I am surprised by the omission of Old Mac from the 10 list. I think that is the best course I have played. What in your mind would make it less than a 10?

On another note, have you considered revisiting the Confidential Guide with an update?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »
1996-2012 is a pretty big gap in coverage, not to mention the courses that Tom didn't cover in the Confidential Guide.  How many Top 100's is a better question, IMHO, and then one could break it down to GD, GW, Golf, etc.  Of our participants, I'm guessing Jeff Lewis and Jim Franklin would be the highest.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Andy Troeger

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »

I love autosum in Excel. I don't have a way to look up Doak points either, but my Troeger score is up to 21,659.26. Average is 56.85. High is Pine Valley at 90.83 and low is Old Orchard in Elkhart, IN at 14.16.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back