News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Lee Puckett

The Shirt Scale to rating courses...
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:53:25 PM »
Let's face it, we like to wear the logo of places we've played and liked.  Sometimes it's a status conference issue, other times its the happy memory of a round well played, money won, etc.

Foregoing the reasons for purchase and wearing, I propose a Shirt Scale to rating courses:

4 Shirts (Well not necessarily 4 shirts, but a vest, a rain jacket, coasters, etc.) - A course that is either so over the top good that your friends will hate you for not having been able to join you, or is so far away they can only marvel to the fact that you made the effort to take three planes and 5 innoculations to play it.

3 Shirts - A course who's logo is not readily identifiable, but you should know about the course, e.g. Myopia, The Creek Club, etc.  This classification is almost better because the person had to ask you where the logo was from, and then feels like a dolt because they should have known it.

2 Shirts - A course that is on the must play list, but there is no real value to wearing it because the logo is so common.  Everyone attending the tournament has multiple examples, but they have never played the course.

1 Shirt - Nice course, fun to play, significant in an architectural sense, but you reach for it on a cold moring because you will be layering and covering it up with a sweater and a windbreaker.  Besides, you are saving shirts with higher value for warmer weather.

Rate away...

JWK

Tom Huckaby

Re:The Shirt Scale to rating courses...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:03:51 PM »
Fantastic!

This proves out at any GCA outing.  Man the 4 shirters and 3 shirters really get pulled out for those.  I'd just add another category, one that also really gets worked at GCA outings...

5 shirts:  a course that aficionados know about but is not officially open yet or is very very new.

THOSE are the ones that really impress.  Of course they also have a short shelf life.  But most revert to 4 or 3 shirt status anyway.

Some examples as I see things....

5 Shirt
Sebonack

4 Shirts
Cypress Point, Pine Valley, Barnbougle Dunes, NGLA. Shinnecock, most greats from Australia, most really great American privates, most greats from UK & Ireland

3 shirts
Merion, Friar's Head, Sand Hills (note most great 3 shirters could also be seen as 4 shirters)

2 shirts
Augusta National, Pebble Beach, Bandon/Pacific Dunes

1 shirt
Many, many others, including one's home course if it's not one of the above.

TH
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:04:35 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »
Clearly Augusta falls into #2....

This reminds me of my own economic- based rating system:

4 * -- I LOVED THIS PLACE -- better buy a windshirt, $100 shirt, hat, logo ball.  

3* -- Pretty special place and/or I "should" buy a shirt and logo ball.  

2* -- Average track and or round, the logo ball will suffice.  

1* -- Free pencil!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »
Matt - great minds think alike re Augusta.  And try to guess what logo shirt I am wearing even as I type this?

A tradition like no other....

;D ;D

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »
Matt - great minds think alike re Augusta.  And try to guess what logo shirt I am wearing even as I type this?

A tradition like no other....

;D ;D

yea but does it have "maybe...YES SIR" under the logo too??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 04:10:25 PM »
My own system:

1) Wear a shirt, tucked in

2) Wear a shirt, untucked

3) No shirt required

Huck,

Guess which rating I fall under as I sit here typing this? :P

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Matt MacIver

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »
Tom, I disagree with 2 Shirts for Bandon, eps. in this part of the east coast.  I tell anyone who will listen (not many, really) that I'm going out there next week and they look at me like I'm talking putt-putt.  

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 04:12:42 PM »
My own system:

3) No shirt required

Huck,

Joe

now there's a visual image I didn't need to hear about Joe ;)

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »
A cool 3-shirt is Royal Musselburgh.

Identifies you right away as a golf history afficionado.

And the logo is nice, too.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 04:13:35 PM »
Jim--

You are evil man!

I may be a mid-high handicapper on the course, but I am definitely a scratch in the pro shop!...  These rankings are as personal as any Doak scale, as pulling out a specific logo item tends to bring memories of that day(s)/round(s) come flooding back...

For me, there is nothing better than either two Dutch boys playing "gowlf" or whatever it is or the wicker basket, unless it is the scowling/grinning fox, or the playful whale.

High marks for things with wings, like feet, golf balls and "O"'s.  Also in this catergory are unique animals, such as the circling seals, the proud camel and elephant, and the nibbling squirrels.  I would include the flying witch in here as well...

Low marks for me are shield/badge or crest logos, nor are branding irons big...

To each his own...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 04:16:22 PM »
My own system:

3) No shirt required

Huck,

Joe

I have an underwear scale too, if you'd care to hear about it... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »
My own system:

3) No shirt required

Huck,

Joe

Joe

now we are REALLY getting into scary territory Joe :o :o :o

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 04:25:36 PM »
Clearly Augusta falls into #2....

This reminds me of my own economic- based rating system:

4 * -- I LOVED THIS PLACE -- better buy a windshirt, $100 shirt, hat, logo ball.  

3* -- Pretty special place and/or I "should" buy a shirt and logo ball.  

2* -- Average track and or round, the logo ball will suffice.  

1* -- Free pencil!

My thoughts to a tee!!! That is exactly it.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 04:32:41 PM »
Tom -

The 5 shirt rating is as elusive as a 10 on the Doak Scale.  I agree totally with the premise.  

Peter -

The Fox and Horn is very tough to decipher to non-afficionados (Stumped a very knowledgable group of golf media types), as well as the dual horseshoes with the whip...

Keep going men, we'll get this defined and have hours of fun with this one.  "NGLA is definitely a 4 Shirt..."

JWK

JWK

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 04:34:39 PM »
For me- courses I have shopped at.

Muirfield-4

They have logoed shirts at Muirfield???

I thought they don't - I got mine at the Gullane pro shop... :o

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 04:41:22 PM »
Don't you think that Bandon Trails would score highly because it's so new?

And I love the occasional find at TJ Maxx/Burlington Brands with a 3- or 4- rating.  I have one from Dornoch that I picked up for about $25.  Cutter & Buck too.

But you gotta be careful.  I had on a Pine Valley/Philadelphia Open hat at Bandon Dunes, and a guy from Riveria complemented my on my great home club.  I wish!  (and, yes - we laughed about it).

<< For what it's worth, I think that an "Udder Course" logo from Stonewall North would be a 5-shirt rating >>

Sand Hills gets a 5+ from me too..  One of our GCA guys wears his SH shirt proudly.  Wearing SH here in Philly is the definition of a 5-shirt shirt!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:44:20 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 04:43:25 PM »
I was there in 1989 and to tell you the truth, I can't remember. I thought it was in the pro shop, but I just remember getting a hat and a shirt-1744 Honorable Company, still have the hat, lets just say the shirt wouldn't quite fit me today. Looks good on my dad though.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 04:45:17 PM »
My own system:

3) No shirt required

Huck,

Joe

Joe

No mas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-X
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 04:45:36 PM »
Yes, Jim, the dual horshoes/whip combo seems a bit risque for the home city of the Clydesdales and the Gashouse Gang, doesn't it!  A panomamic of that course sits above my desk as we speak--love the Alps finisher...

Peter

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 04:48:36 PM »
Don't you think that Bandon Trails would score highly because it's so new?

And I love the occasional find at TJ Maxx/Burlington Brands with a 3- or 4- rating.  I have one from Dornoch that I picked up for about $25.  Cutter & Buck too.

But you gotta be careful.  I had on a Pine Valley/Philadelphia Open hat at Bandon Dunes, and a guy from Riveria complemented my on my great home club.  I wish!  (and, yes - we laughed about it).

<< For what it's worth, I think that an "Udder Course" logo from Stonewall North would be a 5-shirt rating >>

Sand Hills gets a 5+ from me too..  One of our GCA guys wears his SH shirt proudly.  Wearing SH here in Philly is the definition of a 5-shirt shirt!

Dan,

I broke mine out last weekend at TKP-V since I had been there the week previous...didn't get much chatter about it, but then again my shirt was a dark green striped thing and the logo was dark as well making for a very understated logo look.  ;)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 04:49:30 PM »
If you play in tournaments, would a 5shirt-shirt be the equivalent of the final round shirt? I would think so wouldn't it? I want a 5shirt-shirt so badly right now!!!!! I need a 5shirt-shirt.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:50:07 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 04:53:16 PM »
The question is what is the proper number of logos to wear at any given time.  At what point do you go from a fond memory that you would like to share to being an a__hole for bragging about the courses you've played? I have kept it to a hat and a shirt but I've seen some with hat, shirt, windbreaker, towel and bag from different courses where one is not a member.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »
Jerry -

The non-member logoed bag has always been a "No-Fly Zone" for me.

Also, two logos from the same place at the same time is a 15 Yarder as well...

JWK

DTaylor18

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 04:57:35 PM »
Tiger Bernhardt is the real pro.  He must weigh in here for this to have any merit.   ;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »
The question is what is the proper number of logos to wear at any given time.  At what point do you go from a fond memory that you would like to share to being an a__hole for bragging about the courses you've played? I have kept it to a hat and a shirt but I've seen some with hat, shirt, windbreaker, towel and bag from different courses where one is not a member.

First of all you can never wear two of the same course. My limit is 3. Belt, shirt and socks or hat, shirt and belt. My friend use to be an ass. at Bel-Air. He would break all these rules. I have seen him with, bucket, logoed sleeve and chest. Belt, shorts, socks and of course glove. If not logoed shorts, it was the Rodney Dangerfield long pants or shorts. Nothing better than playing golf with him.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:02:10 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back