News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

broadlands, indian peaks, or coal creek?
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:27:44 PM »
If you had to play one of these housing development courses north of Denver, which would it be?  Or would you pass on all of them?
Thanks.

Tim Pitner

Re:broadlands, indian peaks, or coal creek?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:22:40 PM »
Stavros,

I've played Indian Peaks and Coal Creek, but not Broadlands.  I don't particularly care for either IP or CC; I guess I prefer IP, but neither is very good.  The best that can be said of them is they're both reasonably affordable and decent.  There's quite a bit of housing on both of them, especially on CC.  A few fun holes on each.  

I'm not sure why you ask only of those three course, but if you have other options north of Denver, I'd look at Heritage at Westmoor, Vista Ridge (haven't played it but I've heard good things), or Riverdale Dunes, which is further east, but very good despite the overwatering issue discussed on another thread.  

Kirk Gill

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:26:17 PM »
I have not played at Broadlands, but both Indian Peaks and Coal Creek are average courses. Indian Peaks is a Hale Irwin/Dick Phelps course, and Coal Creek is just Phelps. I've had more enjoyable rounds at Coal Creek, but that was probably the company more than the course.

Have you played Vista Ridge? A Jay Morrish/Redstone Golf course. It's a bit pricier, but If you're looking for a standout experience, it would be higher on my list.

Riverdale Dunes is also a lot of fun up there, but as you can read on another thread, there are some watering issues to take into account.............
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:39:57 PM »
Stavros,

I've only played Coal Creek (Dick Phelps) and Indian Peaks (Hale Irwin) and I think Coal Creek is better by a fair margin--better use of the land and better greensites. I've not played Broadlands (Rick Phelps, an occasional GCA.com poster) either but I've heard some good things about it. Heritage at Westmoor (Hurdzan/Fry) is a notch above Coal Creek and several above Indian Peaks, and despite having a couple simply terrible holes, Legacy Ridge (Arthur Hills) is too. I've not played Vista Ridge (Jay Morrish) either but would like to sometime.

From what I've seen I'd go to Fossil Trace (Jim Engh) or Riverdale Dunes before any of the above.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
After hearing from my esteemed colleagues and thinking about it a little more, there really wasn't much rhyme or reason behind my saying I preferred Indian Peaks to Coal Creek.  When I first moved to Denver, I played Coal Creek quite a bit and grew tired of it.  I've only played Indian Peaks twice so there was a bit of a novelty factor there for me.  Doug's probably right that Coal Creek is better, although neither is particularly good.

I may be in the minority on this, but I really like the Hurdzan/Fry course, Heritage at Westmoor.  And, it doesn't get much play (relatively speaking)--there are times when it seems like you're the only group playing.  I wouldn't rate it above Riverdale Dunes, but it's in the same ballpark for me.

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:16:21 PM »
Thanks,all.  

A friend who wanted to play lives near the 3 I mentioned in the title (as does my girlfriend) so I thought I'd see if it was worth playing any of them.

I've played all the other ones mentioned in the thread.  Maybe it is worth asking him to drive the extra 5 or 10 mintues to play one of those instead.  

By the way, I liked Heritage at Westmoor and Omni Interlocken but found the airplane noise at both rather intertolerable.  Maybe I just went to them at bad times.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »

By the way, I liked Heritage at Westmoor and Omni Interlocken but found the airplane noise at both rather intertolerable.  Maybe I just went to them at bad times.

Stavros,

I think it probably was just bad timing.  Jefferson County airport usually isn't that busy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back