News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Agenda for Philadelphia GCA Outing @ Lederach, July 21
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2006, 09:17:19 PM »
Last call to sign up. I must confirm numbers tomorrow, July 14.

Thanks.

Another aspect to the seminar will be a reflection on "Sacred Cows" ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:17:35 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2006, 12:38:54 AM »
I'm good to go

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2006, 04:54:18 PM »
WEATHER FORECAST:

Typical summer day= HAZY, HOT & HUMID

This won't stop us.

Any last minute additions?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2006, 05:38:56 PM »
Hopefully there is still a spot open, Steve. I can attend.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2006, 07:51:59 PM »
TEE TIMES (tentative)(subject to rearrangement by individuals at Lederach)

Range balls are included in the $60 fee.

10:32am KBM, Mark Fine?, Steve Lapper and his guest
10:41am Dan & Laura Hermann, Steve & Ruth Shaffer
10:50am Mike Cirba, Bill Shotzbarger, Steve Sayers, Mike Malone
10:59am Matt Ward and guests
11:08am Doug Braunsdorf, Kyle Harris and guest, Mike Sweeney
11:17am Sean Remington, Jason Mandel, Wayne Morrison, Craig Rokke

AFTER

Refreshments,etc on the patio at Lederach . Beer is on tap. Real food available a la carte.

Bring plenty of wet towels. It will be hot and humid.

REMEMBER all pink shirt wearers will be subject to a fine!!!!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2006, 08:04:59 PM »
Steve:

I'm good for three -- a fourth seems possible. Should you have any singles that wish to join up with my group please let me know prior.

Thanks ...

matt

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Revised Tee Times for Philadelphia GCA Outing @ Lederach, July 21
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2006, 08:06:12 PM »
Due to some last minute cancellations, here are the revisied tee times:

10:32am KBM, Wayne Morrison, Sean Remington
10:40am Dan & Laura Hermann, Steve & Ruth Shaffer
10:48am Mike Cirba, Bill Shotzbarger, Steve Sayers, Mike Malone
10:56am Matt Ward and guests
11:04am Doug Braunsdorf, Kyle Harris and guest
11:12am  Jason Mandel,  Craig Rokke, Mike Sweeney

Please abide by the no pink shirt rule ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 12:47:28 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

wsmorrison

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2006, 08:16:05 PM »
Hey, Steve.  Thanks for putting me in the first group and with such distinguished company and Sean ;D.  This early tee time works best for me as I have a family dinner to attend early evening.  I won't be late for it now and I didn't even have to plead with you.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.  I haven't seen many of you in a long while--it'll be great to catch up and see KBM's latest creation.  We're in for a break in the weather too, luckily.  Man, it has been HOT.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2006, 08:20:01 PM »
Steve,

I may have to lobby for an earlier time due to family logistics. It will work out when we get there.

Thanks

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »
Everyone

Please arrive early(at least by 10:00am or earlier)(range balls are included)(driver CORs will be checked) as tee times are tentative and subject to rearrangement by individuals at Lederach.

Also, there will be a quiz on Max Behr's life and times.

wsmorrison

« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2006, 08:53:22 PM »
"Also, there will be a quiz on Max Behr's life and times."

I'm going to get Tom Paul to make me up some crib sheets.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2006, 10:00:10 PM »
Actually, in the true spirit of minimalism, Steve is going to ask participant to orally sum up Behr's design philosophy in 30 words or less.  

As such, Tom Paul won't be in attendance.   ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »
 Due to some last minute cancellations and requests, here are further revisions to the the tee times:

10:32am KBM, Wayne Morrison, Sean Remington, Mike Sweeney
11:12am  Jason Mandel,  Craig Rokke and guest

Cory Lewis will be joining us for the after golf festivities on the patio.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 08:16:13 PM »

Due to some last minute cancellations and requests, here are further revisions to the the tee times:

10:32am KBM, Wayne Morrison, Sean Remington, Mike Sweeney
11:12am   Craig Rokke and guest

Please try and arrive by 10am for pictures before the course beats you up. KBM may be a late arrival as he's making a site visit to one of his current projects.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2006, 06:09:29 AM »
Thanks Steve, see you there

wsmorrison

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2006, 07:26:40 AM »
It was HOT and HUMID but we had a great time.  It is a very interesting course with a lot of fun and strategy built into the design.  Kudos to Kelly for a wonderful design job and to JES II's uncle for doing some really fine shaping.  Sully, I guess that's where the talent went in the family  ;)  It was a real treat to play with Kelly and hear his thoughts.  I've had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Kelly at a few outings and at HVCC before this.   My first time playing one of his courses and it was a real treat, especially to play with the architect of the course.  Great greens and green complexes, nice mounds in and out of the line of play, interesting tee shots and approaches.  Few bunkers (I managed to find 10% of them on the first 2 holes) but loads of strategy.  One hole led to some head scratching (11) but it was fun to play conservative and be rewarded.  All in all a course the township is very lucky to have at reasonable fees.  I look forward to a return visit.  It was also nice to play with Sean Remmington (Green Valley CC) that long-driving low scoring golfer.  It makes me wonder how GVCC is in such great shape as good as he plays.  Could it be natural talent?  Nahh, has to be lots of practice.  The perspective of a very fine superintendent that really understands architecture with an historical perspective was a good compliment to being with the architect.  And lest I forget my playing partner, Mike Sweeney who was patient with my early and often ineptitude.  We had a great match and Sweeney and I lost $2 to the architect and the super, both of whom played the course several times.  Must have been their familiarity with the course that tipped the balance.  We'll get them next time--hopefully at my course.

The 10:56 tee time no-showed and gave no notice.  I guess one of them was too busy doing exhaustive research on Jack Nicklaus and the Ryder Cup.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2006, 07:30:41 AM »

The 10:56 tee time no-showed and gave no notice.  I guess one of them was too busy doing exhaustive research on Jack Nicklaus and the Ryder Cup.

Wayne,

Hold the phone partner! It appears that we crossed thoughts in cyberspace.  ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2006, 07:36:22 AM »
That is why we were partners, pardner  ;)  Great to see you.  MW didn't see the need to honor a commitment, to which I am not surprised.  In any case, have  a terrific weekend.  Hope to see you out on the course later in the summer or early fall.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2006, 02:33:27 PM »
Thanks to Steve for setting up the get-together.  We had a great time and really enjoyed Kelly's course and the company.

To me, it seemed like KBM was quite influenced by Scottish/English links golf, and he pulled it off well.  From the super chipping areas to the "alps"-like features, it's a golf course that deserves some great press.  I'd put it in the tip-top list of public-access golf in SE Pennsylvania.

I was also impressed by the conditioning of such a new course.  The rough's grow-in should only serve to toughen up the course.

I also preferred it slightly to Beechtree, and I love Beechtree.  (OK - Beechtree is in Harford County, MD, but it's close enough.)  Lederach is a real thinking course, and it really challenges every aspect of a player's game.

I liked the center-line hazards that really brought the concept of strategy into play.  This isn't a course where you just grab the driver and hit it as far as you can.  

The course rating/slope from the tips is 73.9/137, which is pretty stout.

I was also very impressed by the clubhouse.  It's the best muni clubhouse I've ever seen.

Sure - #11 is controversial, but controversies are what push the art.    Ruth had a putt on #11 from the very back of the green to the hole in the very front - an extremely long putt, and she put it close enough for a tap-in.  

All they need now is a border collie to get rid of the geese.
-------------------------------------

Did you see those new houses with the cupolas on top?  I thought they took the concept of the McMansion to a new low  ;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
Wayne M:

Allow me to inform you and maybe at the end of this message you will be so kind to publicly apologize for your ill-mannered and ignorant comments.

Yesterday before leaving for the course my Publisher's daughter got into a car accident during a major t-storm that hit North Jersey in the morning period just prior to our departure. The accident was serious enough for her to go to a local hospital as a precaution.

I went with him to make sure all was well. After knowing that everything was OK I e-mailed the GM at the facility (Gene P.) and let him know what had happened and to pass on our regrets to the group in not being able to show up. My message to him was roughly around 11:00 AM.

I mention this now because I would think most people would do likewise -- put whatever time was needed in the more critical situation.

I guess attending a major situation involving the health of a love one is something that needs to be cleared with Wayne Morrison. When you talk about commitments Mr. Morrison try to understand that I value the health of people first and can hold on a golf game for another time.

I look forward to playing Lederach in the very near future -- the health of my dear friend and publisher just so happens to be a higher priority to me.

mike_malone

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »
The local cable sports channel just had a show devoted to Hidden Creek. It got me to ask the question--Is Lederach a better golf course than HD?If the criteria is based on the amount and variety of golf shots that one hits and choices you face in a round, the answer is easy---Lederach.

BTW you were missed , Matt.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 07:04:37 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »
The local cable sports channel just had a show devoted to Hidden Creek. It got me to ask the question--Is Lederach a better golf course than HD?If the criteria is based on the amount and variety of golf shots that one hits and choices you face in a round, the answer is easy---Lederach.

BTW you were missed , Matt.

Mayday,

Apples and oranges in reference to Hidden Creek.

I would be interested in your thoughts of Lederach vs Yale. Both have some wild terrain, both have some wild greens, both have a long long Par 5. Let's forget Yale's advantages of sitting on 750 acres with no houses and ignore Lederach's few green to tee walks and houses for this topic.

mike_malone

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2006, 07:27:13 PM »
Mike,

Are you saying HD isn't a golf course? ;D

Well, as to Yale vs. Lederach I would think of both courses as attempts to establish "identity". Lederach is a refreshing departure from the formulaic public courses one tends to see. Even Glen Mills , Scotland Run, and Twisted Dune which are my favorites nearby (Bulle Rock and Beechtree as well) are designed within a "range" of options for public golf. None of them is looking to stretch the golfer much. Kelly has an independent spirit that is evident here.

I don't know enough about Raynor but I imagine he was using his rainbow of choices that worked on this land. I enjoyed the sparcity of bunkering and the use of the site. The magnitude of the place was impressive.

But, it probably doesn't have as many choices as Lederach. That wasn't as much of an issue then as now. But,my guess is that Yale in its early years was unusual because it was so challenging.

Mike,

I would say both are better than HD.How's that for an answer!
AKA Mayday

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »
Kelly has an independent spirit that is evident here.

Kelly is my friend so this is a meaningless statement, but I would love to see him get a nice piece of land with no houses and a budget. Maybe Mike Kaiser is lurking for course #4, where he will probably need some out of the box thinking

wsmorrison

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2006, 08:53:36 PM »
Matt,

I am sorry your publisher's daughter was involved in a car accident and wish her and any other occupant a full and speedy recovery.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:56:54 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back