News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

Does Wykagyl get much love here?
« on: June 12, 2006, 08:40:48 PM »
I was attending a function (not golf-related) at Wykagyl for a friend who is a member there.

I was told that the restoration work by Coore and Crenshaw has already begun and the timeframe for completion is about 1 year.

What are Treehouse's thoughts on Wykagyl as part of Tillie's total body of work?

Should I pester my friend for a round there???

;D ;D ;D

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Does Wykagyl get much love here?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 08:49:05 PM »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »
Voytek,
only as a Scrabble score on a triple-word square... ;D

What kind of word is Wykagyl anyway? I assume native American for something?

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Gregg Vincent

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 09:26:06 AM »
There was a bit of discussion about Wykagyl a few weeks back during the LPGA tournament.

I think it's a super course and a lot fun to play. It sounds like it may get even better after the resto work is done.

Gregg

mark chalfant

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 01:19:16 PM »
Wykagyl has a wonderful variety of fun holes that rise and fall,sometimes sharply, over rugged terrain.Wonderful collection of par threes, some drop, some traverse valleys. charming par fives require diverse shotmaking The club has done some ambitous tree managment lately and the supt clearly appreciates the Golden Age. some quirky holes  incluidng par 4.5s  over severe hills. For me its top 5 or 6 in Westchester County.Once Bill Coore and team restore it will be  even more magnificent. Certainly worth multple plays
 but use  judicious course managment

Tom Dunne

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 01:33:22 PM »
Martin Bonnar,

Here's the story, from the club's website:

"Over the acres where wedges and five irons now cut through grass, Indians and early pioneers of Dutch and Huguenot ancestry once roamed. In fact, the history of the land probably gave the club its name, though the story of how the prestigious and colorful title came into being has a mysterious and amusing twist.

The move from Pelham Manor to New Rochelle meant, among other things, that the club needed a new name. One of the original Members, William K. Gillett, was appointed to be a committee of one to pick a name. He came up with Wykagyl. For many years it was thought that Gillett had simply taken the letters W, K, G, and L from his own name, changed the I's to Y's, added an A in the middle for euphony and found a distinctive name for the club, and his own private joke to chuckle over.

Years later, the secretary of the club, Henry T. Brown, uncovered an Old Dutch map of early New York giving the location of Indian tribes and villages. The club bulletin of 1925 claimed the name was from wigwos (birch bark) and keag (country), the country of the birch bark.

Whatever its origin, the name won instant approval. A court order was signed decreeing that as of June 15, 1905, the old Pelham Country Club would henceforth be known as The Wykagyl Country Club, and so it has been to this very day."

Kirk Gill

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 01:51:57 PM »
How much Ross?
How much Tillinghast?

How much Arthur Hills?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 02:01:26 PM »
Hey everybody!! :D

There is a fella with a presence on the internet by the name of Phil Sokol who has done a nice review of this golf course.  

His website is www.sportsnetwork.com

I must say, it is a pretty nice collection of reviews with good write-ups and solid imagery.  Enjoy!!

Here are the images from his review......judging from what I see, this looks like a fun course!!!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:34:05 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 02:41:25 PM »

I think I will stick with the course reviews that are provided on this site.  

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 03:26:15 PM »
Does Wykagyl get much love here?

Voytek/Mark -

There is no Santa Claus...

Mark –

I couldn’t disagree with you more about Wykagyl.  Unless things have changed in the last 6 years…

The Good – Five par 5’s make it a good match play course, especially since most are reachable - #13 is a really solid hole as well.

The Bad – The Beloved Club Emblem Tree on #8, and the encroaching willow on the right are just plain awful.  It’s really fun to paste a drive on the long par 4 to the left center of the fairway and be forced to punch driver under the elm or hook a 7 iron 70 yards around it.  I’ll bet that the people coming down #10 don’t like it very much when the hook is not executed and they catch a ProV1 in the chest.  Plus the willow used to block you out from the right if you went too far to the right on the fairway to avoid the elm.

The Ugly – The 7th green from above the hole.  It is rare to have a par 3 where the strategy on a front hole location is to steam/skull one hard into the bunker so that you don’t fry it.  Then, blast carefully and hopefully have a 2 foot uphill putt.  Anything putted from above the hole in July/August runs off of the green.  If I wanted to play goofy golf, I would have gone to Putt/Putt.  

With these defects, the usual defensive play for the membership is an attempt to turn a negative into a positive by lauding the quirkiness as some kind special local knowledge or handicap to be overcome that makes their club “Special”.  This knowledge is usually delivered in the grill room after the round.  (I am not tarring the membership of Wykagyl here - I don't know them - I am just making a generality).  That said, the LPGA likes the course, and there are a variety of set-ups that work for their core group butnot for the “A” male player.

I have no animosity for Wykagyl – it’s just not that good no matter how many surgeons were brought in to save the patient.  May C & C turn this place around.

JWK

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:31:09 PM »
James assessment is spot on for the most part. There's plenty of, shall I say, uniqueness, at Wykagyl.

If C&C are involved they have a wonderful opportunity to turn around the shortcomings and add a good deal to a course blessed with some neat property.

Right now -- not a top ten Westchester site but given the competition such a revelation is not earth shattering by any means.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 05:35:39 PM »

I think I will stick with the course reviews that are provided on this site.  

Who cares what you think?  Way to add to the discussion, Hearst.  :P

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:40:11 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 07:21:49 PM »

Dugger

I did not realize you were still around after Pat Mucci showed what a farce you were on the Sandpines thread.  

Look at his gushing reviews of Trump National and perhaps the "best" Fazio design out there in Hudson National and get back to me.

It would seem access issues rule in his reviews which is something I am sure you would understand.

David Harshbarger

Re: Does Wykagyl get much love here?
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:14:24 AM »
Had a chance to play Wykagyl.  The course is now quite different from what is presented above. 

The centerline bunkers on 7 and 11 are gone, for instance.  The mowing patterns are adjusted to create significantly more fairway.  On 10 a par 5/4.5, the fairway extends well left all the way to the bern.  Past the bern, it is uniform fairway left-right until the climb to green, where it narrows, but without the arbitrary curve in on the left.

The Par 3 4th now has a set of bunkers ringing the front, creating an excellent Short.  The green is set at an angle to the tee, and slopes strongly back left down to front right.

The bunkers are now rugged with the sand flashing.  The fairway bunkering on 12, a par 5, was excellent, and in play first and second shots.

18 is an absolutely lovely finishing hole in it's simplicity.  Straight, lots of fairway, and a green banked in the far hillside, ringed with bunkers side and back. 

The course now has great internal site lines, while maintaining the parkland feel.  The trees give the parkland feel, but didn't unduly encroach on play.  From my game, on 5, a slight dogleg right, my shot down the right side brought a tree on the corner into play.  However, instead of blocking the shot at the hole, the first branches reaching out into play were well up near the canopy.  A low cut would get to green entrance and avoid the green side bunker, but a high shot over the bunker risked being swatted down.  For site lines, most of the holes feel self-contained, but in a few place, such as nearing the green on 2, the tree lines end, and you can see through and across 4 or 5 holes. 

My comment at the end of the round was that the members must love being able to play this course day in and day out.  Every hole had interest.   I would have played round again immediately to get another crack at the course.

BTW, is there a better set of courses right next to each other than, running SW to NE in a near line, nearly adjacent, Siwanoy, Wykagyl, Bonnie Briar, Winged Foot and Quaker Ridge?
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

David Cronheim

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »
I had a chance to play Wykagyl on Saturday and was very pleasantly surprised with the course. None of the issues noted in the thread above were present. It's a very fun and sporty track. It plays up, over, around, through, across (etc.) a set of very interesting little rises/knolls with exposed rock outcropping reminiscent of Yale. I was quite surprised it doesn't crack Golf Digest's top 30 courses in the state of NY. It's a fabulous and fun layout that would be enjoyable to play everyday, but still a good test for a scratch player, if a bit on the short side (tips: 6690).

I played it in a very strong wind on Saturday and had my hands full just to break 80. #17 gets a nod from me as one of the most fun holes I've ever played. It's 365 or so, but all you need is a 220 yard shot over a little knob in the fairway to reach a downslope that funnels the ball into about 70 yards. That was certainly the longest 3-iron I've ever hit...
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
I recently got the chance to play Wykagyl and came away completely smitten. The golf course is in amazing condition and it seems that the maintenance meld is absolutely perfect. I have no frame of reference as to before the restoration done by C&C but it is cerainly shining now. The C&C bunker style is evident with the jagged edges. First off the piece of land has plenty of variety with the holes taking you up, down, left and right. The are some rock outcroppings that complement the natural topography as well as some really nice framing with the native grasses. There are 5 par threes between 140 and 230 yards that are all wonderful. There are also 5 par fives and a couple of these function as half par holes so there is no lack of variety. The remaining 8 par fours are a nice mix of short and long holes with the approach on 18 playing uphill to a back to front sloping green benched into the hillside. Golfweek currently has it ranked 109 on their Classic list and a case could be made for including it in the top 100. This is a great members club and one that you would never tire of. With Winged Foot and Quaker as neighbors it stays under the radar although I think that is just the way they want it. Can't wait to go back. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:56:58 PM by Tim Martin »

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 06:12:22 AM »
I recall someone did a good tour some while back, but t wasn't saved on Delicious.  I don't know if it was pre or post C&C.  Can someone post pix?  Along with Leatherstocking, St Georges and another course with an Native Am (stupid term) in NY all seem to fly under the radar but look ever so interesting. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Kevin_D

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 09:02:06 AM »
I'm a member.  Nice to see the (recent) kind comments about the club; needless to say I am biased but I love the place.  I don't know what it was like pre-restoration but based on comments from other members, it seems like a ton of trees were taken out, and the bunkering is quite different now (typical C&C style).  Other than the unique layout (the aforementioned 5 par 5s and 5 par 3s), The course is quite hilly with large elevation changes throughout (though still walkable, green to tee walks are often only a few steps) and features significantly undulating fairways and greens.  Depending on the hole, I notice classic elements of both Ross and Tillinghast, both of whom were brought in to re-work some holes at various times.

I was thinking of posting a full course tour here at some point, but if I do I want to do it right so will take my time gathering the right pics, and also am a little reticent to pimp my home club too much.

For those interested, the club has a course tour on its website which can be seen here:

http://www.wykagylcc.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=347289&ssid=250390&vnf=1

Kevin_D

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
For those interested, there is a little overview of Wykagyl as part of the Ike Preview in this month's Met Golfer

http://metgolferdigital.com/i/133118/59

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »
I ... am a little reticent to pimp my home club too much.

Don't be. It is worth pimping.

Here's a link to a few photos from shortly after the C&C work (after the women's match play)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631868010507/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631868010507/show/with/8129496110/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back