News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re:Wie 3, Pressel 0
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »

Don't view it as a gap in our ages, just view it in the context that your experiences are more limited than mine. ;D

And, Gussie Moran was a very attractive ADULT.

Yep, TEPaul tells me the gap comes from my not having the experience of using a walker, taking my teeth out at night, and constantly dribbling food down the front of my pajamas.
 ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brent Hutto

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2006, 11:27:20 AM »
Re: The Champions Tour

I have no idea where the money for their purses comes from. Surely it must be subsidized by the real Tour nowadays. I just fail to see the attraction in watching old guys in carts smoking cigars and having a putting contest for a bunch of money when they could just as well be playing on the big Tour (cf. Fred Funk) or home entertaining their grandkids (cf. about 3/4 of the players on the Tour).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2006, 11:49:40 AM »
One thing I find interesting is that the LPGA seems not to want to acknowledge her ability to be constantly up with the best, because she is not a "member" of the LPGA. If you go to their site, which truly sucks IMO, and use their real time scoring, they do not put a picture of her on the page for her scorecard. She gets the same treatment as the amateurs and local stars that get exemptions into the event. I would think it would be a simple matter to ask her to provide a picture for the page, and I don't see why "Team Wie" would turn them down.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2006, 11:55:36 AM »
Well, enjoy the thread while it is allowed to stay. I'm off to play some golf and hopefully stick a gap wedge or two, and make a couple of birdies.  ;)

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2006, 12:17:57 PM »
Glenn - try telling Annika or Karire, et al, that there is really only 1 major for them

reminds me of the time a writer was dissing the PGA...he asked Jeff Sluman about it being replaced by the TPC or something ....Slu said sure go ahead, don't count my PGA...but go tell Jack you're not counting his FIVE PGAs any more!

When it becomes the Coca-Cola PGA Championshiop presented by Lexus. I will call Jack and tell him that his 5 PGAs no longer count, until then they are safe.

Glenn - the LPGA does what it has to do..it ain't as big as the PGA, so its gotta chase the dollars

although it the PGA ratings keep sliding and if - when? -  the Senior Tour dies off due to fan apathy, maybe the LPGA can close the gap

If yesterday was any indication, I would say it is happening already. Personally. I would rather watch the women play anytime over the Seniors. In fact, the only things I watch on the Seniors are the PGA and The Open, outside of that, I think it is worthless. The Seniors are the ones that should be playing with the older equipment or older courses or something. It is hard to watch.

I wonder how long the Seniors will survive Glenn...everytime  I read something it says there galleries are REALLY small

I don't know how they do. The insulting thing is that they bring that couch out there to interview them and that is supposed to make some sort of difference. For my taste, I would rather see the guys who did not make it the first time in there more often. The top 8 and ties I believe is there Q-school. That is a joke. It will never happen, but I would be more interested to see some of these guys get a chance, Senior Golf is just more or less just a battle of attrition anyway. The guys that just get out there do a good bit of the winning. I would rather see a 51-year old that doesn't have all that cash instead of the 58-year old exempt guys.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2006, 12:24:36 PM »
TEPaul,

I always enjoy listening to "ball beaters" and "hackers" when they give advice to, and comment on the games of the greatest golfers in the world.

What's amazing about this commentary is Tommy Armour's ability to compete at the highest levels of golf with his vision restricted to one eye.  Certainly an impediment to determining distance (before yardage indicators) and reading and stroking putts.

Wie has a poise and presence that transcends her peers.

However, America can't have it both ways.

You can't detain and consider charges against a "FAN" (?) for video taping high school cheerleaders, in their short skirts, cheering in public on their team's field, and at the same time promote and broadcast to a national audience, a 16 year old playing golf in public, wearing the shortest of skirts.

Or is it all about the money and selling sex in a macro rather than a micro environment.

Her game and demeanor are exceptional, her attire is inappropriate.

Yes, it is always better to hear the 'amateur that never won anything important' tell the USGA what they should do about the ball and the equipment.

You're telling golfer's who are far, far, far better than you, who compete at the highest levels, how to play and/or work on their games.  That's absurd.

My ability or inability to play golf has nothing to do with the I&B issue and it's impact on the game, they're not remotely connected in any manner.

Are you now insisting that Dick Rugge and those in his position win something "important" before accepting the job ?

That you don't understand the distinction is indicative of a limited IQ.

You are absurd. Every coach in the game is a hack compared to the people that they are coaching, yet the players still listen to them. My experience in sports and in golf, make me plenty qualified to say that MW needs to start working on the speed of her putts. Dottie Pepper said something similar.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2006, 12:38:12 PM »
TEPaul,

I always enjoy listening to "ball beaters" and "hackers" when they give advice to, and comment on the games of the greatest golfers in the world.

What's amazing about this commentary is Tommy Armour's ability to compete at the highest levels of golf with his vision restricted to one eye.  Certainly an impediment to determining distance (before yardage indicators) and reading and stroking putts.

Wie has a poise and presence that transcends her peers.

However, America can't have it both ways.

You can't detain and consider charges against a "FAN" (?) for video taping high school cheerleaders, in their short skirts, cheering in public on their team's field, and at the same time promote and broadcast to a national audience, a 16 year old playing golf in public, wearing the shortest of skirts.

Or is it all about the money and selling sex in a macro rather than a micro environment.

Her game and demeanor are exceptional, her attire is inappropriate.

Yes, it is always better to hear the 'amateur that never won anything important' tell the USGA what they should do about the ball and the equipment.

You're telling golfer's who are far, far, far better than you, who compete at the highest levels, how to play and/or work on their games.  That's absurd.

My ability or inability to play golf has nothing to do with the I&B issue and it's impact on the game, they're not remotely connected in any manner.

Are you now insisting that Dick Rugge and those in his position win something "important" before accepting the job ?

That you don't understand the distinction is indicative of a limited IQ.

Before you start calling anyone absurd or a hacker or ball beater, why don't you go back and show us the 6 years that Tiger was unbeatable in USGA competitions or how the Walker Cup is not a USGA event. My 'limited' IQ says that you won't be able to do it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2006, 09:56:35 PM »
Glenn Spencer,

Dottie Pepper is a seasoned, accomplished LPGA Tour Player, and you're certainly not her equal competitively.

She's qualified to offer playing advice to MW, you're not.

As to coaches, I can only quote what Hale Irwin told me.

"What have they won, and what are those players who use coaches going to do when the wheels start coming off on the golf course during the middle of a competitive round ?

But then again, you'd offer Jack Nicklaus, when he was in his prime, advice on how to improve what you called an average short game.

How much do you get to offer playing advice to PGA Tour and LPGA Tour golfers ?

The distance "issue" has nothing to do with playing records, handicap or ability.  What's David Fay's playing record ?
How about Dick Rugge's ?

It's an issue unrelated to individual playing records.

That you're unable to differentiate the two issues, one, where an inferior player offers advice to a superior player, and two, where an individual offers constructive criticism related to I&B, is truely mind boggling.

As to the Walker Cup, participants are chosen, they don't tee it up in a qualifying event.  Think of it as a private, invitation only, party.  But, I can see where that subtle distinction might escape one with a limited IQ.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2006, 10:28:38 PM »
Glenn Spencer,

Dottie Pepper is a seasoned, accomplished LPGA Tour Player, and you're certainly not her equal competitively.

She's qualified to offer playing advice to MW, you're not.

As to coaches, I can only quote what Hale Irwin told me.

"What have they won, and what are those players who use coaches going to do when the wheels start coming off on the golf course during the middle of a competitive round ?

But then again, you'd offer Jack Nicklaus, when he was in his prime, advice on how to improve what you called an average short game.

How much do you get to offer playing advice to PGA Tour and LPGA Tour golfers ?

The distance "issue" has nothing to do with playing records, handicap or ability.  What's David Fay's playing record ?
How about Dick Rugge's ?

It's an issue unrelated to individual playing records.

That you're unable to differentiate the two issues, one, where an inferior player offers advice to a superior player, and two, where an individual offers constructive criticism related to I&B, is truely mind boggling.

As to the Walker Cup, participants are chosen, they don't tee it up in a qualifying event.  Think of it as a private, invitation only, party.  But, I can see where that subtle distinction might escape one with a limited IQ.
Quite dancing and say that it is not a USGA competition Patrick!! Fay and Rugge's records are nothing compared to Bonallack. Who would you rather have in charge of controlling the distance issue? Someone who has been there or someone who listens to what he is told and then forms a decision. I will take Bonallack, you can have both the other two. Dottie Pepper could beat me 8-9 times out of 10 on her 6300 yard courses, I think it would be a different scenario from 7300. Does this make me unqualified to notice that MW needs to work on her speed? I think most people would rather have Shaq on their team, but 101 out of 100 would want me shooting his free throws for him if they watched us warm up. How many courses have you designed Patrick? Why are you telling architects what to do about distance? This is an absolute joke, do you really want me to go on and cite all of the idiotic comments that you make to architects and the USGA? Your Hale Irwin reference has nothing to do with anything. His quote does not speak for the entire tour. Still waiting for the Tiger unbeatable 6 years.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2006, 10:32:41 PM »
And while you are at it. Nicklaus had an average short game sans putting. Lets see you supply some quotes about how great his short game sans putting was. We showed you our quotes, now it is your turn. Use your high IQ and produce them.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2006, 01:33:03 AM »
In the mean time, I got two chances with my gap wedge today. One went long and left. The other one I stuck 6 feet from the pin. Michelle Wie'd the putt and settled for par.

If anyone has wondered about playing on steroids, the pharmacist told me they would make me jittery. On the fifth day of taking them, I noticed myself being jittery, and I wasn't even on the golf course. Today was the sixth day and I didn't really feel comfortable with a putter all day. In case you are wondering if I am trying to get back to carrying my drives 370 yards like I did in my youth (TEPaul was always correct about the old rockflites going every bit a long as the Pro V1 does). I am not. I have a skin condition the doctors are trying to clear up with steriods.

I don't know how long jittery effect will last. I have six more days of medication to go.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2006, 09:24:12 AM »
In the mean time, I got two chances with my gap wedge today. One went long and left. The other one I stuck 6 feet from the pin. Michelle Wie'd the putt and settled for par.

If anyone has wondered about playing on steroids, the pharmacist told me they would make me jittery. On the fifth day of taking them, I noticed myself being jittery, and I wasn't even on the golf course. Today was the sixth day and I didn't really feel comfortable with a putter all day. In case you are wondering if I am trying to get back to carrying my drives 370 yards like I did in my youth (TEPaul was always correct about the old rockflites going every bit a long as the Pro V1 does). I am not. I have a skin condition the doctors are trying to clear up with steriods.

I don't know how long jittery effect will last. I have six more days of medication to go.

Garland,

It is the absolute worst when you Michelle Wie a putt. I do it all the time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:24:33 AM by Glenn Spencer »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2006, 10:29:08 AM »
Glenn Spencer,

I've been involved with the design of more courses than you.

As to Nicklaus's short game, action speaks louder than words.

His record, especially in majors, tells you everything you need to know about his game.  Jack let his game and record speak to his abilities, not quotes from writers, hackers and ball beaters who think they know more about golf and how to play golf than he did.

Co-incidently, Jack Nicklaus, the golfer with the greatest record in Majors, shares my views with respect to the distance issue.

You never told us how much you get paid to give playing advice to PGA Tour and LPGA tour players.
Whom do you include amongst your playing pupils ?

I  began my involvement with the USGA in 1979, yet, I've never seen or received an entry form for the Walker Cup.
Is the event only for those on the double secret mailing list ?
With entry forms locked in a mayonaisse jar in the Executive Directors office ?

I see logic and context are not your fortes.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2006, 11:21:41 AM »
Glenn Spencer,

I've been involved with the design of more courses than you.

As to Nicklaus's short game, action speaks louder than words.

His record, especially in majors, tells you everything you need to know about his game.  Jack let his game and record speak to his abilities, not quotes from writers, hackers and ball beaters who think they know more about golf and how to play golf than he did.

Co-incidently, Jack Nicklaus, the golfer with the greatest record in Majors, shares my views with respect to the distance issue.

You never told us how much you get paid to give playing advice to PGA Tour and LPGA tour players.
Whom do you include amongst your playing pupils ?

I  began my involvement with the USGA in 1979, yet, I've never seen or received an entry form for the Walker Cup.
Is the event only for those on the double secret mailing list ?
With entry forms locked in a mayonaisse jar in the Executive Directors office ?

I see logic and context are not your fortes.

Nice Post Patrick, were you responding to mine or just pontificating? Bonallack? Is the Walker Cup a USGA competition or not? I never asked about entry forms or invitations. I keep in contact with my a good friend that gave me lessons years ago, an old LPGA pro, otherwise I have no contact with the LPGA, besides watching MW last year for a week. You will see if you look at the post, that I said that I shared some of your views about the distance issue as well. Where do I go to play some Patrick Mucci designs?  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:07:18 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2006, 06:31:16 PM »
Glenn Spencer,

Florida.

Where do I go to see your design work ?

The Walker Cup is not an annual USGA competition open to any and all amateur golfers, it's a private, invitation only affair, with a very limited field.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 06:36:16 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2006, 09:27:46 PM »
Shivas,

You have to given Patrick credit for the annual part. I really like that.

Patrick,

Florida is a big state. What part and what is the name of the course again? I don't have any courses out there. All I know is what I like and think is a good hole, beyond that I know as much about architecture as you did about Tiger's short game at 15.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2006, 09:37:49 PM »
Shivas,

I was aware of the USGA's listing of their competitions on their website long before you posted the reference.

Since I made the comment about Tiger's record in USGA competitions for six straight years, I know the context in which I made the remark.  And, my statement stands.
The Walker Cup bears no resemblence, in form or function to the USGA's Junior Amateur or the USGA's Amateur or any of their other competitions for male golfers.

With respect to Tiger's short game when he was 15, I asked you previously, and you failed to answer, in which tournaments were you paired with him ?

As to which course, you'll have to do your own research.
Anyone with a reasonable IQ can figure it out in a matter of minutes.  

Please, no help from the "peanut gallery"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back