News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Fort Ord Gunnery Range Golf Course?
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:48:28 PM »
Last week, with the sunroof open and blasting Bob Weir being Bob Dylan at full volume, we blazed past Marina and Sand City along the shore of Monterey Bay.

For years, I've stared longingly at the gunnery range on the west side of Highway 1, thinking the landforms of the dunescape remind me of a supercharged version of Ireland's Inch Peninsula.

Fort Ord is closed and I cannot imagine why the Coastal Commmission (read: Enviro-Nazi autocrats) would not encourage investors to clean up the toxic mess and route a golf course on that stunning linksland.

On the surface, it looks like a "win-win," even for those nasty bastards in the Sierra Club. Only a small portion of the land would be used for golf with the rest cleaned up and returned to public parkland.

Taking the debacle of the Peninsula Watershed as a cautionary tale, the investors would need legal assurances that their expenditures would result in a course, but if it could be worked out, why not?

The land is far more interesting than the proposed Fazio track at Pebble Beach - and just a very short drive down the road.

Personally - and Huckaby is going to squirt blood from every orifice at this heresy - I think both Ford Ord courses are wildly over-rated. Plus, they are on the wrong side of the Highway.

Who controls that land these days? The military? I've no concept, but it is a shame to let it sit and go to waste. Like Kahoolawe (HI), where the government is spending north of a billion dollars to clean up the mess from years of bombing, it would be cheaper to turn it over to private development.

#2. Has anybody ever played that U.S. Navy course in the hills above Monterey? Any good?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:49:00 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tom Huckaby

Re:Fort Ord Gunnery Range Golf Course?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 05:02:24 PM »
Gib:

Now why would I squirt blood at that?  All I've ever said is that the OLD Bayonet (as it used to be prior to 1990) was very special to me, unique as it was in a completely unfair and thereby completely fair test of the game.  I've never held out either as any great golf course or anything and I'm the first to say what's calling itself Bayonet these days is no great shakes.  Nor I have ever read or seen anyone rating either all that high.  Wouldn't a course have to be rated to be over-rated?   ;D

As for the land on the gunnery range, join the chorus.  Who doesn't go past there and wish it could be made a golf course?  The assumption to date was that there was no way to avoid the many landmines (pun intended, insert drum rim shot) required to make that doable.

As for the Navy course in the hills above Monterey, I assume you mean what's now known as Monterey Pines?  I've played it a few times - it's really quirky and pretty fun.  Conditions have been iffy, but it's a bargain price-wise...

http://www.montereypinesgolf.com/

TH
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:03:03 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Josh Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 05:04:14 PM »
Gib,

Cannot add any helpful info, but that land is amazing.  Would  be fun to wander around someday, looks like a wonderland out there.  Do you have any idea how many acres there are approximately (ie, one course, two or five, it is hard to figure out the scale of the dunes by driving by 80 plus.  Also, do they mine sand out of there, I had it in my head that like the old Spanish Bay site, this was being used to mine sand and sell it.  I always figured the dunes were part natural and part dozed up as part of a mining operation.  I may be totally wrong.

PS.  DeVries is trying to get a hold of you today, we want to meet for dinnner tonight or tomorrow.  Feel free to call me if you cannot get him, 925.639.8446.  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:04:37 PM by Josh Smith »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 05:07:52 PM »
  PS.  DeVries is trying to get a hold of you today, we want to meet for dinnner tonight or tomorrow.  Feel free to call me if you cannot get him, 925.639.8446.  

Josh,

Take care of my boy tonight, won't you? He's on a diet and shouldn't drink any alcohol. ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Josh Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »
Joe,

Sounds good. Look forward meeting up again with you in the near future as well.  

Josh

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back