News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Chicago Aerial June 5th: Donald Ross Evanston CC
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:40:20 PM »
Another 1930's aerial of a Chicago area course.  

What course is this and who was the architect?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:06:37 AM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tom Roewer

Re:Chicago Aerial June 5th
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:21:57 AM »
Gotta be Evanston Golf Club in Skokie.  Original 9 was built by members in 1898.  Two moves later and they hired Donald Ross in 1917 to design what is now.  Pretty good Shivas?

Dan Moore

Re:Chicago Aerial June 5th: Donald Ross Evanston CC
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:03:35 AM »
Tom,

That's it.  

I was surprised by the number of bunkers located in the fairway here.  Is this typical or atypical of Ross in the teens?  Many of those have been lost over the years.  

Also looks like the old greens had a more rectangular shape back then.  I played there a few years back.  It is a very flat property.  However I distinctly remember the green on the par 3 7th (upper left hand corner with reverse C shaped bunker fronting) as built up quite a bit and extremely tilted front to back which resulted in a 3 putt from above the hole.  

I have heard the course is closing in July until next June.  Must be undergoing some major work.  Anyone know who might be involved?  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 07:46:59 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tom Roewer

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 11:20:49 AM »
Dan:  Ron Pritchard is the architect and Wadsworth Construction will do the work.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:30:21 AM »
Tom - do know what work will be done out there?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Roewer

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 11:38:34 AM »
pAUL t.    From what I have gthered they had Nicklaus "tweak" the course about 20 yrs ago.  Now they are looking to return closer to Ross original design.  At the same time they are lengthening as much as space allows and putting movement in fairways to aid in drainage .  All greens and bunkers are being done as well.  

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:39:41 AM »
sounds very promising TOm, thanks, esp if Pritchard is involved
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Roewer

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »
Yes Paul that is a good thing.  They also have been doing tree removal which I beieve is already happening and that too is another positive.

Dan Moore

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 07:46:27 PM »
I thought I would pull these together for easy comparison.  I am amazed by the number of bunkers located in the fairway on this course. I don't recall that as being typical Ross.  

1930's aerial

current day google earth aerial

Steve Sayers

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 08:46:04 PM »
For comparison purposes, below are a few photos of Lu Lu (Ross -- designed about 1914 construction about 1918).  Square greens and numerous holes with “fairway” bunkers.  Great work done to bring it back to original intent by Ron Forse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back