News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

The Ranch, San Jose
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:27:55 PM »
I'm playing tomorrow at The Ranch Golf Club in San Jose. I have heard little about the course.

I was excited to find that their website features flyover views of all 18 holes. You can view them at www.theranchgc.com

The flyovers show some of the most severe holes I've seen in a long time. This severity is backed up by the numbers - specifically:

6,747, 72.9, 152 (!)
6,389, 71.3, 147 (!!!)

Has anyone played the course? Any thoughts?

John Kirk

Re:The Ranch, San Jose
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:55:21 PM »
Matt,

Tom Huckaby says it's terrible, so I would go in with low expectations.  Expect a very difficult course, where it's very easy to lose a ball when you hit it offline.  Bring a bunch of balls and take a cart.  

AndrewB

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:33:33 AM »
Matt,

I haven't played The Ranch, but I played with someone on Saturday who said it was one of the worst courses they've ever played.  So, along with Mr. Huckaby's comments, that's two strikes against it.

I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it ...
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:05:24 AM »
Matt - if you can make the search engine work, try and find some of my old posts about this course.

Suffice to say I hate it, with a passion of hatred usually reserved for Notre Dame football.

It could well be the worse course ever conceived.  The slope figure is fake, btw - they had to fudge a few things to get it down under the maximum 155.  You don't want to know what the real number first came out as.  Of course you ought to understand why it's so high - one can lose a golf ball on both sides of every shot, all 18 holes...

It's a bit severe.  And I also love the fictitious back tees on the card... maybe they've fixed that by now but early on they listed tees that only existed in air...  Matt, see if you can find 6700 yards that really exist there.  It's fake!  The tips max out at 63-something... In fact they seem to still have all the numbers wrong on their website.. comical... the real figures are on ncga.org...

But yes, I too will be interested in your opinion.  I have a few masochistic friends who do indeed like the course.  Sickos.

TH
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:34:07 AM by Tom Huckaby »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 10:28:38 AM »
Looks like fun to me at least for one play ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:33 AM »
Cary - well... as much as I do hate the course... and yes, I really really do...

I've played it three times.

I do love to play the game.

So yes, I would say it is worth seeing once, if only for amazement.  Just don't even think about walking, and leave the woods in your car or prepare to lose 6-12 golf balls.

;D

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:17:05 AM »
It has a hole entitled, "Wedgie."  Sounds like this course needs one....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 12:58:30 PM »
It seems like I'm in for an interesting afternoon and I'm looking forward to posting about the course later on tonight.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »
Matt - do try to find tees that get you to 6700+ yards.  I'll be really interested to hear if they now exist... I haven't been there in 6 months or so, but back then many tees to make this happen would have defied the laws of physics (that is, sat in mid-air, tunneled into the side of a mountain, etc.).

If you care about score, bench the driver.  You'll see.   ;)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 01:43:57 PM »
Having looked at the web-page there appears to be an over usage of forced carry and island features either on the fairways or greens. I counted 8 holes with this so if you remove the par threes that means almost 60% percent. Pretty repetitive.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 02:28:07 AM »
OK...

First, I have to mention that The Ranch has one of the best in the business as their head pro and Director of Golf - Jeff Walser, most recently of Landmark Golf Club in Indio. He's been kind to me in the past and I had no idea I would run into him today. It was a nice suprise.

About that golf course...

The flyovers on the website make it look pretty severe. Well, the website is misleading. The course is much more severe in person. Four things the flyovers don't show: 1) The severe elevation changes on many holes. 2) The wind. 3) The narrowness of the playing corridors. 4) The severity of the greens and their surrounds.

It's the sort of course where one could lose their handicap in golf balls.

A few overall impressions:

On many holes my friend and I questioned, "Why would they ever design a hole this way?" Our answer was always, "Well, there must have been environmental restrictions." (Jon, this explains the island effect. Due to the terrain and environment, it really couldn't have been any other way.) That explains the skewed routing and even, possibly, the extreme narrowness of the playing corridors. (So narrow that I can remember at least two holes with cart paths less than 30 feet from today's pin position).

But it doesn't explain the severity of every other feature on the course. The greens were clearly designed to complicate rather than assist play. Given that the long shots are such a struggle, why make the greens impossible, too?! Because the site is so hilly, most greens had banks on one side or the other - but they were covered in rough or otherwise made unhelpful. I would love to see those banks mowed as fairway in spots where it would make holes more fun or forgiving. The bunkers are deep, and the rough, though moderate, is grown in narrower than I thought necessary on several holes. The pins were cut in difficult spots.

It just seemed like everything was designed to be hard. Every shot is "Do this, or else". It's so narrow that there's never a smart play to anywhere except the middle of the fairway. But again, it's up at the greens where I really didn't understand the architects' philosophy. The course would still be plenty hard, and much more fun, with friendlier greens. The effects of their playability would make holes better all the way back to the tee.

While I found a number of both long and short shots enjoyable to attempt, I did not find the golf course as a whole to be fun. It was too severe and too restricting, and there were few chances for recovery after inevitable mistakes.

As for those fake yardages - all four par 3's had yardages for tees that didn't exist and clearly never will. I think the yardages on the card for the par 3's are measured to the back of the greens. Clearly a case of just adding yardage for the sake of having it on the card, I think. This was on all of the par 3's. I didn't notice whether this was the case for the long holes as well.

The Architects are Casey O'Callaghan and Wade Cable. The course had a very Nicklaus look to it and I wondered if either of those guys had worked for Nicklaus design. The use and shape of the bunkers, the ridges and tiers in the greens, the look of everything....I really, really felt like I was playing a Nicklaus course. (Not saying Nicklaus would have designed these holes.) Anyone know about these gentlemen? Even more interesting, does anyone know what they have to say about the course?

More another time...I'll wait for others' comments to see what aspects of the course I might post more about.

On another note - I have an open spot in my foursome next Tuesday, 6/13, at Harding Park at 10:27. Message me if you're interested in joining.

~Matt
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:31:36 AM by Matt_Cohn »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 11:40:52 AM »
Matt:

You've captured the essence of THE RANCH quite well.  I usually don't discuss the greens there that much because I just get tired out after so many other negatives, but yes, they too are rather severe.  The course didn't get an off the chart slope by accident.

I feel bad for your friend if he has to work there.  Well, I shouldn't say that - it's a nice area, and they are friendly there, so his job must be fun.  But man, trying to sell that golf course... he's got a tough task.

Gotta love those fictitious yardages, huh?  And the par threes are just the most obvious offenders... I haven't gone over it all but there have to be others to get to that fictitious 6700.  Man to me that is galling - false advertising.  I can't see how they continue to do it.

TH

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:15:17 PM »
This post belongs on the "Worst Course" thread . . . . I think I played it last year, not in 2006, but I'll still comment there. If I were Casey, I might commit Hari Kari with a dull butter knife in penance to the Golf Gods.

Three of us played it - all decent shotmakers - and standing on the 14th tee after five hours and light two sleeves of lost Precepts each, we decided to flag down the beer cart and return to the clubhouse.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 01:01:36 PM »
Just a bump to see if anyone knows of a link between O'Callaghan and/or Cable, and Nicklaus design. That's all...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back