News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Lee Puckett

Are short Par 4's the most intricate to design?
« on: June 06, 2006, 01:04:57 AM »
The "Taking the driver out of my cold dead hands" thread has gotten the gorilla thinking.  (After all, I'am sick of bananas, and the female gorillas don't want to play -they kept telling me next time/lay-up, etc...)

Are short par 4's the hardest for execution because if there aren't enough hazards, they are summarily dismissed are "Too easy/birdie holes"?  Like Johnny Cash, are architects in this distance-obscessed era forced to "Walk the Line"?

Who wouldn't want to create "The Burning Ring of Fire"?

PVGC's 8th or Riviera's #10 make so much out of so little.

JWK

New sobrioquet:  "Somewhere, someone's playing golf!"

Matt_Ward

Re:Are short Par 4's the most intricate to design?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 11:18:22 AM »
James:

I'll bite.

I think mid-length par-4's (410 to 440 yards or ther about) are the toughest because if the architect simply decides to add holes with ultra-length emphasis with little or no consideration for the weaker player who doesn't possess the firepower then such holes are likely to be one dimensional -- that's why the short par-4's often sought after by the weaker player because the distance equation is not front and center.

On the flip side -- if the holes don't have enough design character then they are simply duds for the better player.

Get a course that has a few of the hole lengths I just mentioned that are well done and it's likely the rest of the course will be one sought out by others.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:45:17 PM »
LHN

It’s difficult to find a short Par 4 nowadays except on the older courses.

One that comes to mind is the first at St.Andrews where the defence is the Swilcan Burn . A penal hazard in front of the green. Any slip costs a stroke.

Another is the Alps Nr. 17 at Prestwick. Here the popular blind approach with a deep bunker in front. No loss of strokes but a difficult shot to judge.

I’ve also seen an island green at the end of a Par 4. Quite exciting to judge a half-wedge onto the green. Once again a penal defence.

There are a few dog legs that turn abruptly after 150 yards leaving the same distance to the green. The art being to hug the inside of the bend to reduce the length of the second shot and usually a little bit longer to get the best angle into the green. Not a popular one with the LHN’ers  but nonetheless a short Par 4 that can play like a mid length Par 4.  

Did you read Mark Fine's article at the end of the « Driver or Die » Thread? The driveable short Par 4 with optional alternatives for the weak of heart or strong of intellect .

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 11:09:16 AM »
JC-S -

"I’ve also seen an island green at the end of a Par 4. Quite exciting to judge a half-wedge onto the green. Once again a penal defence."

Look at the Wee Burn Aerial - #16 is such a hole.  Not Drivable - Executionally penal.  Must hit tee shot to full 2nd shot distance.  Missing either shot is a bogey or worse.

"Did you read Mark Fine's article at the end of the « Driver or Die » Thread? The driveable short Par 4 with optional alternatives for the weak of heart or strong of intellect . "

I will investigate the article right now.  I am looking for Short Par 4's with options for "The Strong of Heart and/or Weak on Intellect"  ;)

JWK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back