News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neal_Meagher

One course, two or more bunker styles
« on: June 10, 2006, 02:56:30 PM »
Not wanting to hijack the thread on Forest Dunes, I thought I would start a new one here based on something Tom Doak brought up. That would be the two differing styles of bunker construction (and maintenance) that he questioned Johnathan McCord about.

This is something I have thought about a lot recently as I am working on a site with three pretty distinct environments which kind of call out for three distinct approaches to bunker design and construction.  The question for the treehouse is where have you seen this sort of thing done and were the results good or bad?  It seems to me that one should always endeavor to "naturalize" whenever possible with bunkers based on their location in the macro environment.  Is this valid?  Can it be done successfully?  Thoughts?
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Tom_Doak

Re:One course, two or more bunker styles
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 07:32:48 PM »
Neal:

Based on your example, I imagine there must be some sites where two different styles would work well, but I cannot think of a single example I've seen.

However, having the two styles side-by-side as in the pictures of Forest Dunes (sharply edged plain-shaped bunkers next to ragged-edged waste areas) is jarring to me.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 07:45:15 PM »
Neal, are you talking about grass-flashed and sand-flashed bunkers on the same course? I usually anticipate one or the other, but under the right circumstances, perhaps the hillside one is set into, it could work mixing it up.

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 10:34:27 PM »
Forest Dunes does have two very distinct bunker styles.  Arcadia Bluffs also does.  The majority of their sand traps are pot bunkers, but they certainly have waste bunkers, on holes such as 2,5,6,12,15 and 16.  I think the two styles contrast more at Forest Dunes, but work, nonetheless.

I wonder if this happens more then we are aware of?
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Jim Thompson

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 11:58:56 PM »
Neal,

I don't mind different styles within a round, but mixing them within the same hole really hurts my eyes for some reason.  I know many like the mixed look at Arcadia Bluffs but it never has done anything for me.  For what its worth, I do tend to see the world from a little different angle than most.

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 12:08:05 AM »
I would imagine I would prefer to see a cohesiveness to the bunkering throughout a course. I can't imagine an environment that is so different that different styles of bunkering would look good. Cypress Point goes through some distinctly different  areas, as does Friars Head, and I can't imagine them with different styles. I suppose it could work, but since I haven't seen it much, if at all, I wonder.
    The revetted bunker at Bandon Dunes looks weird as it only occurs on one hole, and the land doesn't change there.
     What are the different environments you are dealing with Neal, and how would you change the bunkering to fit in the various settings?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 12:48:16 AM »
Hasn't Oakmont had as many as 3-4 "styles" since its inception? I think the variation in bunkers is the style there.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back