News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Thompson

Re:What if No Architects Participate in GCA….
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2006, 10:23:31 PM »
Paul,

Sorry but that's not me.  That is the one and only Will Farrell from a skit done on Satruday Night Life mocking Blue Oyster Cult, one of my favorites.  Here's a link- http://webfeedcentral.com/2005/01/21/more-cowbell-video/

But if you ever see me at Karaoke??????

Enjoy!

JT
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:24:33 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:47 PM »
Paul,

If you've got a pic of Sullivan, please send it to me.  I like to be an equal opportunity offender. ;D

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Tony Ristola

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2006, 09:08:43 AM »
To answer some points made in the initial post:

1. Jeff, what a funny response to the Eck Thread.
2. What Eck posted (and Jeff responded to) was a theory. Don't like it, debunk it.
3. I think architects should go through a little desensitivity training. Perhaps picking up The Confidential Guide will help with this.
4. Criticism is part of the arts. Some of it is fair, some not. That's life. The beauty is the forum allows responses. It's not a vacuum.
5. I think anonymous posts should be allowed. Especially for those architects that may have something to say but don't want to be known. It's not being gutless, it's common sense, especially if you're an associate somewhere. It's why the press uses unnamed sources from "this dept" and "that dept". Much is lost without anonymous posters.

Now I can understand some of the piling on from time to time isn't the most tactful, and is the product of the Herd Mentality. It's everywhere in society. Good and bad. Golf architecture is rife with it. The problem with it on a forum like this is trying to regulate it. In the end you scare people away from making cutting edge comments. I think this would represent a far, far greater loss.

The Confidential Guide is a tremendous example. Tasteless to some (competitors), motivated at least one competitor to tell the author he cannot write if he seeks ASGCA membership, yet tremendously valuable for others. Who is to decide? The Dept. of Censorship? How about each individual?

Let freedom reign, with all its warts and beauty. That provides the best value.

If architects drop out because they don't like the tone or content...oh well. Tough darts. They have a chance to offer or not offer their 10 cents. And should they chose not to, life on GCA will go on without them.

The forum does well enough without 99% of the architects. What would losing a fraction of one percent mean?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:14:32 AM by Tony Ristola »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2006, 09:46:33 AM »
What if Eckstein is an architect??   :o

PThomas

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2006, 09:58:14 AM »
What if Eckstein is an architect??   :o

that would be this week's winner of "The Apocalypse is Soon Upon Us " Award Mike!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2006, 12:24:06 PM »
Tony —

"Much is lost without anonymous posters."  — I do not agree that "much" is lost. In fact, I cannot think of anything that is lost. You make the point later on in your reply that it is simply "tough darts" if people do not post...so why your comment here? I really cannot think of any reason that someone should be able to come to this party without a clear identity. Architect or otherwise.

Regarding Tom D's book, "...motivated at least one competitor to tell the author he cannot write if he seeks ASGCA membership..." — I have heard this legend, too. Perhaps it is true. I can report that it is not the official position of the ASGCA to restrict writing or expression. I think the closest the Society would get to affecting writing of a member would be to ask that writing be as polite as reasonable...and not slanderous. Those seem reasonable. The choice, of course, on what and how to write, is a personal one. I have regretted many things I have written. The older I get the mlore I realize that writing is rather permanent.

"If architects drop out because they don't like the tone or content...oh well. Tough darts." — I do not think it is content that might affect some here, but tone certainly can matter. Again, if I were at a cocktail party and some yo-yo got in my face (wearing a mask) and began belittling me, I would probably move on to another group to carry on. This selfish person — the guy with the mask — is really bringing the entire gathering down. It simply isn't appropriate to have such specific disdain in one's discussion at what is supposed to be a discussion and occasionally entertaining gathering. General topics — about the value of courses and design — that makes more sense.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

JESII

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »
Paul,

If you've got a pic of Sullivan, please send it to me.  I like to be an equal opportunity offender. ;D

Cheers!

JT

JT,

I'm going into hiding. And telling all of my buddies to ignore any request from you. You're way too skilled.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »
Tony R:  I have to agree with Forrest about using one's true identity.  How many meaningful and important posts have been contributed by anyone using an alias?

If there are design associates out there who want to contribute, there is nothing stopping them.  They should be civil toward their employers in any post about one of their own courses.  If their only noteworthy contribution would be to denigrate the courses their boss has worked on, then they aren't much worth having around.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »

Sometimes I wonder, does Tom Doak really have that much time?

Gary,

There's a rumor circulating among the cognoscenti that the poster "Tom Doak" is actually a sixteen year old kid in Seattle named Jordan Wall.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JESII

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »
Question:  Does having a full first and last name on here suffice for "true identity"?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2006, 03:54:20 PM »

Sometimes I wonder, does Tom Doak really have that much time?

Gary,

There's a rumor circulating among the cognoscenti that the poster "Tom Doak" is actually a sixteen year old kid in Seattle named Jordan Wall.  

Mike

Did they really play golf together this past weekend?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »
Question:  Does having a full first and last name on here suffice for "true identity"?

Well, since I finally figured out that you are actually Latino and your name is phonetically pronounced "HAYS EEL", then yes, I guess it will suffice.  ;)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2006, 03:56:38 PM »
YES!!!!!

We did!!!

Hopefully some people can wait a bit and I will have pictures.

JESII

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2006, 04:01:50 PM »

Well, since I finally figured out that you are actually Latino and your name is phonetically pronounced "HAYS EEL", then yes, I guess it will suffice.  ;)

Yeah, and who the hell is this Sully guy you people keep referring to?

Still cracking up Mike, great.

I have been waiting to get called out on that, but I don't think the architects thought the Kung Fu picture JT mocked up at my request was very funny, so they haven't yet.

Hasta Luego!

JES II
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:02:15 PM by JES II »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »
Jes Il,

Pensé su retrato de Kung fu era muy chistoso. Ah, y diría también que hay la manera demasiados árboles en el Valle de Pino.

JESII

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2006, 04:14:25 PM »
Don't mess with my Kung Fu Cirba, I'll take you down.

By the way, I have no idea what you said, I don't even know if I spelled Hasta Luego correctly. ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:15:15 PM by JES II »

Gene Greco

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2006, 07:15:50 PM »

We ALL know it wouldn't be the first time Mike went down. ;)
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2006, 10:21:24 PM »
We ALL know it wouldn't be the first time Mike went down. ;)

Gene,

Why do you continue to bring up that one night in Rio with the mojitos and the fetching 23 young peasant women?  That was at least 25 years ago my friend, and I was in a phase of pure youthful exuberance and experimentation.  

I say let the past just stay there.  After all, no contracts were signed, no real permanent damage was done, and thankfully, no great golf courses were forever altered.  If I didn't have a fading memory of the evening's delights, I'd be hard pressed to earnestly swear in court that it was all true.  

What was that magistrate's name again?  My, he was funny and scary at the same time, wasn't he?  I wonder if his baliff is still wearing that sarong?

Thanks for the memories,
Mike  ;)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:23:15 PM by Mike Cirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2006, 10:27:58 PM »

By the way, I have no idea what you said, I don't even know if I spelled Hasta Luego correctly.

Jes, (HAYS)

Roughly translated, I said that I thought the Kung Fu picture was very funny and...oh, by the way, there are still too many trees in the Valley of the Pines.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:28:37 PM by Mike Cirba »

ForkaB

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2006, 01:41:40 AM »
I was reading a bit of Darwin last night and he was writing about how Tom Simpson came out to Rye to advise on the redesign of the 1st hole and immediately "found" a green just 6 yards or so to the right (or left--can't remember) of the place that the Committee (including Darwin) had decided upon.  They had NEVER even thought of the site in all their deliberations, but Simpson was able to find it in an instant.

Architects are scary people who can visualise natural drainage patterns and lines of charm better than Mike Cirba could imagine what he might do to 25 Brazilian virgins if he ever really had the chance to get them all in the same place at the same time.........

We aficionados are all mini-Darwins just like most architects are mini-Old Tom Morrisses.  We each humo(u)r each other on this site and then go back to our caves and IM our friends to let at least someone know what we really think.  It's cool listening to the archies talk about gradients and hydroseeding and what Tom Fazio ate at the buffet at the most recent ASGCA convention, but we could live without it.  Obla di, obla dah.

What I would really miss, however are the dirt guys.  I love all that talk about mowing patterns, grasses and nematodes.  Chacun a son gout, I guess.......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back