News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Joseph

Senior Tees
« on: June 06, 2006, 04:32:23 PM »
I’m setting up a golf outing at a Pete Dye course that has 3 tee boxes.  The back tee is 7000, 74.7/136, the middle 6,675, 72.8/133 and the forward 5,570 68.4/118 men’s rating.
My problem is we have a number of players that are seniors and some juniors that are use to playing 6,000 to 6,400.  I’m not sure where to put them.  What is the typical yardage for seniors at most courses?

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Senior Tees
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:38:37 PM »
I would say between 5800y-6200y depending on the terrain. Suggestion: Why not move some tees up from the middle to the front? Or, play the par4s from the front and the par 3s and par5s from the middle?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 04:39:49 PM »
Steve,

One reason is handicapping. A tee can only vary from the listed yardage by 26 yards in either direction before the course rating is changed by one tenth of a stroke.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 04:46:11 PM »
Kyle

This is an outing not a tournament. There is a guideline for adjusting the rating/slope if my suggestions are implemented. A lot of courses have their rating/slopes for mixed tees done by the local golf associations. It's fairly common in Arizona. This course has a big gap in yardage from the middle to the front. There should a middle ground of around 6-6200y doable on the card.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:46:44 PM »
Steve,

Understood. I'm with you there, just saying that could be a setback.

When are we playing next? Cobb's sometime this week?

Dan Joseph

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »
This is actually a family tournament that is very competitive. It has been going on for 11 years for family and friends with an engraved cup for first place.  We handicap everyone based on their GHIN or past results.  We contacted the course and asked if they would move the middle tees up a bit and the answer was no.  About 1/3 of us will play from 7,000.  1/3 from 6,675.  The other 1/3 are seniors and juniors that fit between the middle and forward.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back