News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Qualify Through Winning Women's US Open
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:57:19 PM »
Its a shame MW didn't qualify for the US Open.  Strangely, I found myself routing for her, but she wasn't nearly good enough on the day.  This leads me to my question.  Should the winner of the Women's US Open gain a spot into the US Open?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Glenn Spencer

Re:Qualify Through Winning Women's US Open
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:01:15 PM »
At this point in time, I would have to say no. Exemptions are made to be changed and this may not always be the case.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:02:44 PM »
Not even close. I can't think of a single past winner of the Women's US Open who would have had any business in a US Open field.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:07:07 PM »
Sean:

Surely you jest !

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 08:17:49 PM »
In ten years time, I can see MW being more deserving of a Senior Champion.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:28:45 PM »
Food for thought.  The US Open exempts the winner and runner up of the Amateur solely because of tradition.  I don't think the British Am winner is exempted for the US Open.  I can't recall the last time an amateur seriously competed for the US Open (perhaps the 60s?) yet two spots are given away.  

I guess Tiger as the defending US Amateur Champion didn't really contend in 1997... but he sure was a factor.
Next!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »
Food for thought.  The US Open exempts the winner and runner up of the Amateur solely because of tradition.  I don't think the British Am winner is exempted for the US Open.  I can't recall the last time an amateur seriously competed for the US Open (perhaps the 60s?) yet two spots are given away.  

Ciao

Sean

71 at Merion was damn serious.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 08:55:26 PM »
Jim Simons, he had the third round lead after a 65.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 09:30:29 PM »
Winners of many "amatuer" events qualify for majors....and very seldom are any of them a contender.  So, what is wrong with having the winner of the Womens US Open qualify for the US Open???
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 09:43:23 PM »
Sean, you asked, "Should the winner of the Women's US Open gain a spot into the US Open?"

Only when a man can qualify for that event.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 09:52:05 PM »
Sean, you asked, "Should the winner of the Women's US Open gain a spot into the US Open?"

Only when a man can qualify for that event.

Then the winner of the US Open should qualify for the US Junior.  

The US Open is "Open" and does not have any adjectives (at least according to the calendar of events on the USGA web site) - all other events have some restrictions - age, am/pro status, gender, etc.  

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
Should the winner of the Women's US Open gain a spot into the US Open?
Yes - or perhaps the top ranked female player in the world.  I would rather see Annika at Winged Foot than Birdie Kim as you do get the occasional fluke winner.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 09:58:18 PM »
Birdie Kim in the US Open?

Meg Mallon?

Julie Inkster?

WHoever it was who won at Pumpkin Ridge?

Ask them - I'd bet they would say "no way."

I won't say never., but there's going to have to be a lot of history of women qualifying successfully before it happens.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 10:05:35 PM »
Take a minute and think about this. The USGA has been steadfast in giving her exemptions into the US Open. I believe this will be the third straight year, if not more. If she wins the Womens Grand Slam and the US Womens Open for say three straight years, I can see it. Some Senior turned it down a few years ago at Bethpage, Fleisher I believe. Why couldn't a woman turn it down?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:10:22 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Robert_Ball

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 11:08:05 PM »
How about starting with an exemption into sectional qualifying and see what they do with that?  There are currently 24 such exemptions reserved for some pretty lofty accomplishments like British Am champ, Mid-Am champ and PGA Tour winners from the past 3 years.

I would think only a handful would bother to enter.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 11:46:31 PM »
The USGA has been steadfast in giving her exemptions into the US Open.
No they haven't - if they did then she wouldn't have been trying to qualify today.  They gave her exemptions to the US Women's Open.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 09:21:31 AM »
The USGA has been steadfast in giving her exemptions into the US Open.
No they haven't - if they did then she wouldn't have been trying to qualify today.  They gave her exemptions to the US Women's Open.

Needless to say, that is what I meant. Thanks

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 09:22:32 AM »
How about starting with an exemption into sectional qualifying and see what they do with that?  There are currently 24 such exemptions reserved for some pretty lofty accomplishments like British Am champ, Mid-Am champ and PGA Tour winners from the past 3 years.

I would think only a handful would bother to enter.

Most definitely a thought worth looking at.

rgkeller

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »
Only if the Women's Open Champion is Michelle Wie.

PThomas

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 10:00:14 AM »
no
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 12:14:06 PM »
simply no..if a player who wins a regular tour event cannot be exempted..a winner of the US Womens Open should not be considered.
Simply on the issue of ability..if Michelle Wie was not in the picture this would not even be open for discussion...
In saying that I understand that she IS in the picture, and as such her route into the event as was attempted yesterday is quite appropriate and fair to all.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
I have a question that I haven't heard anyone (other than myself) ask that I believe is germain to this discussion.

Why did Michelle wait until now to attempt to qualify? She has been speaking of it for quite a while, so why now? Could it be because she DIDN'T meet the USGA handicap requirements (and probably still doesn't) for her to apply as an amateur? The only other way for her to do so would have been for her to declare herself a professional... didn't she do that recently?

In my opinion, a woman golfer who doesn't meet the handicap standards for a male should not be allowed to attempt qualification. She should establish a handicap based upon playing from the men's tees, the same as every male must do in order to attempt qualifying.

Now Michelle may very well be able to do this, and quite easily. Yet as far as I have been able to find out, she never did.

It is for this reason, that the standards of play are so very different from men to women, that I believe that awarding an exemption into the field by winning the Women's Open (or amateur) is inappropriate.

Not to get the thread going in another direction, but I also believe that a spot in the Open that is awarded, should never be rescinded, as in the case of forcing the U.S. Amateur winner to give up this privilege simply because he decides to turn professional after his victory. He won & so should reap ALL the rewards of his victory.

Russell Lo

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 04:41:02 PM »
Phillip,

I believe the reason she had not tried to qualify for the US Open was twofold. First scheduling, I don't think it was in her plans to try and qualify for the US Open last year and the schedule was built more around the LPGA events and various PGA invitations. Second, I don't think she felt she had the game to compete at that level. She has improved drastically and this year probably felt she could take a shot at qualifying thsi year. Scheduling worked out also as the local qualifier fell in an "off" week and the sectional fit too.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »
I have a question that I haven't heard anyone (other than myself) ask that I believe is germain to this discussion.

Why did Michelle wait until now to attempt to qualify? She has been speaking of it for quite a while, so why now? Could it be because she DIDN'T meet the USGA handicap requirements (and probably still doesn't) for her to apply as an amateur? The only other way for her to do so would have been for her to declare herself a professional... didn't she do that recently?

In my opinion, a woman golfer who doesn't meet the handicap standards for a male should not be allowed to attempt qualification. She should establish a handicap based upon playing from the men's tees, the same as every male must do in order to attempt qualifying.

Now Michelle may very well be able to do this, and quite easily. Yet as far as I have been able to find out, she never did.

It is for this reason, that the standards of play are so very different from men to women, that I believe that awarding an exemption into the field by winning the Women's Open (or amateur) is inappropriate.

Not to get the thread going in another direction, but I also believe that a spot in the Open that is awarded, should never be rescinded, as in the case of forcing the U.S. Amateur winner to give up this privilege simply because he decides to turn professional after his victory. He won & so should reap ALL the rewards of his victory.

She played last year. I agree with the last part about the US Amateur. I think that they should be able to hold on to it as well. It amazes me that a young man or woman-lol can win our national championship, what used to be considered a major and receive nothing in the way of future exemptions when turning professional.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back