News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

What a course.

Played it today and it had stunning views, great architecture and awesome greens.

I was thoroughly impressed and when time allows I will give a better report of the course.

As for now, wow[/color]
 :) 8) ;D 8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:25:47 AM by Jordan Wall »

Craig Sweet

Re:Tumble Creek, the best in WA
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 10:40:21 PM »
What!!!!! No pictures???????? >:( :( :-\
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 10:57:41 PM »
Craig, they didn't put Google on your computer? There's a website.  looks great.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 11:33:42 PM »
Like I said.

When time allows, a better review.

I took limited pictures but soon there will be some good ones...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:15:34 AM »
A review.  Pictures still later.

#1 was a great opener, really an eye opener to the course with bunkers graved into the right side of the fairway.  This was the mhole I learned the greens were a bit firmer than I thought.

#2 was a nice, shortish par-3 with a big bunker on the right and a great, slopy green.

#3 was awesome.  Almost driveable, but landing area pinched by huge bunkers if you lay-up.  I put it in front of the greenside trap, and made bogy after a chip rolled off the green (I was like, wow).  A 300 yard drive didnt get me anything, so I guess the putting does matter more, and chipping too!  It also helps to keep it in the fairway!

#4 was a monster.  All I can say is there is a fairway, a hill, and another fairway above the first fairway with HUGE and awesome bunkers along nthe hillside.

#5 was a dogleg left hole where to gain an advantage you have to carry a bunker 265 off the tee (or in my case you can duff a wedge and make bogy...)

#6 was similar to 5 except it was longer and running approaches had to contend with a huge bunker about 20 nyards in front of the wild and crazy green.  I think I heard it can drain in 6 (!) different places.

#7 was a 230 yard par three with a beast green.  I hit a three iron to seven feet and made my birdie, others were less fortunate, and had to putt from the other side of the slope..  I hit my shot on the far right side of the green and it rolled all the way to the center close to the green.  HUGE sloping green and was really cool.

#8 was a short par five pinched by bunkers to a crazy green.  Nuff said I think.

#9 has a blind drive.  You hit the ball and then once you get down to it the fairway drops and you have awesome views.  It was really cool.  The green was encroached by mean bunkers..

Back nine in a bit...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:18:32 AM by Jordan Wall »

Tom_Doak

Jordan:

One correction.  The second hole is 200 yards from the back, 170 from where we played.  You hit it long, but that's still not a short par-3.

I was really happy to see how the course has turned out.  I have to admit it's been kind of lost among our other projects the past 3-4 years ... because it's a "development" course, because it's not a spectacular sandy site, because we didn't have any co-designers, and because we deliberately tried to build subtler features as a reaction to some of our more flamboyant work.  (In fact, I really doubt that most observers would pick it out as my work, but I don't know to whom it would be ascribed.)

So far the only review of the course I've seen here was Jon Cummings' mention of it ... and he thought it was too polished and kind of bland.  I suspect Jordan was more impressed, but he's an impressionable youth.  I hope a few more people get up to see it and comment on it.  

I wish we had more clients who wanted this kind of work, but if it doesn't win any awards, I suspect they'll just keep asking for bunkers like Pacific Dunes.

Mike Nuzzo

Tom,
Can you tell us what comprimises were made because of the housing?
What are the unique aspects of the course?

Jordan,
Did you play with Tom?
Sounds like you had fun.
Try and tell us about the boldest green.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jordan Wall

Tom,
Can you tell us what comprimises were made because of the housing?
What are the unique aspects of the course?

Jordan,
Did you play with Tom?
Sounds like you had fun.
Try and tell us about the boldest green.

Cheers

Yea, I played with Tom.  He was (and is) a great, great guy.

Thanks Tom!

I did have fun, and on the back I got to play with just Dad and I (the shotgun with Tom was just nine holes).  I even eagled a hole which was really really cool and a big bonus.

Now, the boldest green.  Easy, and I think Tom would agree.  #18 has the craziest contours I have ever seen.  Even the back portion above the huge (!) ridge had a big slant and I missed my ten foot birdie putt three feet low of the hole after aiming three feet outside
 :o
I am pretty sure it rose something like 6 or 7, maybe 8 feet from front left to back left.

Mike Nuzzo

Jordan,
Please tell us how this pairing came about...
Great for you.
How cool is Ran... it seems GCA had something to do with putting a young enthusiastic fellow together with Tom for a memorable day, maybe more.
Cheers

Jordan Wall

Back Nine

#10 was a great dogleg where to gain the supreme angle and distance you had to carry three menacing bunkers on the edge of a cliff like hill (a steep hill).  There is a bunker on the left that fronts the green and if you carry it your ball will bound onto the green close.

#11 was a short par three with a long, narrow green sporting a nice false front and beautiful bunkers engraved in the hillside.

#12 was almost exactly like #9 but prettier, IMO.  It has a huge bunker on the inside of the dogleg, then shot 40 feet downhill to a green benched in a little valley with bunkers surrounding it.  Did I mention, another carzy green...

#13 is a short par three again, which drops sharply and has bunkers front left and to the right.  Another slopy green.

#14 is a great par five.  Long, downwind, with bhunkers to carry if you want to go for the green.  If you go left and over the bunkers watch a water hazards that eventually works its away down the length of the hole.
I eagled this one
 ;D 8) ;D

#15 is a great risk reward par five, with a creek to carry if you want to go for the green.  A great match play hole, this one also sports a small and slopy green with a collection area long which is usually the miss due to the fact the hole is downwind come summertime.

#16 is a cape hole of sorts, and the green overlooks a huge valley with beautiful mountains and is benched tight by two bunkers.

#17 is a long par three with awesome bunkers to a sloped green.

#18 is the perfect finisher.  A huge dogleg around a nice set of beautiful trees.  To gain the advantage you have to carry a bunker and then can hit a wedge in.  The green is so tough you are lucky to two putt but a birdie will sport a great smile from the lucky people who conquer this hole.  An awesome finisher!!

Jordan Wall

Jordan,
Please tell us how this pairing came about...
Great for you.
How cool is Ran... it seems GCA had something to do with putting a young enthusiastic fellow together with Tom for a memorable day, maybe more.
Cheers

Through GCA, this whole thing happened.

It was a day I will never forget.

Thanks Tom, and Ran, and hope to see you again Tom!!

Mike Nuzzo

Imagine if your shirt was tucked in that day...
You maybe should be thanking Barney also.

And please give us some more details about what was special for you (besides the very cool eagle)  - relive it a bit for us...

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 12:28:48 PM by Mike Nuzzo »

Tom_Doak

You will have to forgive Jordan.  He hasn't seen many courses, so he doesn't know what truly crazy greens really look like ... Tumble Creek is pretty subdued for our work, although #18 is a killer.

And he also forgot that he didn't play every hole from all the way back.  From the back, the 18th is a 485-yard par five.  Even Jordan would not be hitting a wedge to the green if he'd teed off back there, but for the member-guest day they were playing the hole from about 90 yards up.

Jonathan Cummings

Jordan - I hope you soon get to see other things RGD have done.  I'd be interested in your comments when you have some others to compare to.

I believe that Alderra is the best in Wash although I'm quite sure others will not agree with me.

JC

Jordan Wall

You will have to forgive Jordan.  He hasn't seen many courses, so he doesn't know what truly crazy greens really look like ... Tumble Creek is pretty subdued for our work, although #18 is a killer.

And he also forgot that he didn't play every hole from all the way back.  From the back, the 18th is a 485-yard par five.  Even Jordan would not be hitting a wedge to the green if he'd teed off back there, but for the member-guest day they were playing the hole from about 90 yards up.

I was not aware this hole was a par-5, I played it (as did my father) as a par four.  We played it from (I think) 400 yards which is still quite a big par-four considering how uphill it is.

No matter, the hole is very good and the green is spectacular.  I really need to get down to Pac. Dunes this summer!!

Jordan Wall

Imagine if your shirt was tucked in that day...
You maybe should be thanking Barney also.

And please give us some more details about what was special for you (besides the very cool eagle)  - relive it a bit for us...

Cheers

Haha yes my shirt was indeed tucked in!!

I think the most special thing for me was having Mr. Doak explain to me the holes while we were actually playing and telling me how to play.  It was cool to actually hear about the hole so you can better understand it.

As an example, #6 is a huge dogleg left around a huge valley and is a long hole.  There was a bunker in front of the green, about 30 or maybe even 20 yards in front of the green.  I asked Tom if that was there for the running shot, since it was a longer hole.  He told me it was not only for that, but for people that could not reach the hole in two, so they could have a challenging lay up.  It was something that had slipped my mind, which yesterday was running wild!

Another cool thing was my birdie on 7, and then a big smile to follow up.  I had been struggling a bit, and I came to this super long, almost uphill par three and rain was just starting to trickle (though it ended uo stopping on the next hole).  After everybody had hit I went up, and I smacked a 3-iron onto the green and it took the slope perfectly, just as I had planned.  It was cool because that hole one extra person joined us to make a 6(!)some and I hit a good shot in front of everybody (I was nervous too!!).  Then I sunk the putt and I think I had the biggest smile ever.  As I put the flag in everybody went to the next tee box and I lagged a few seconds behind.  I grabbed my club and as I got to the tee box everybody was waiting for me, and they let me go first because I had 'honors'.  That was really cool to me, and I was glad I actually played decent because I was really really nervous throughout the round.

Another cool thing about the day was actually being treated like people were glad I was there.  I played with Mr. Doak, the head of golf at Suncadia, one of Doak's workers (Chad, a great guy!), and the manager of all Suncadia's golf and not once was I treated as though I was not welcomed.  Mr. Doak was always willing to explain some of the holes with me, people we always super nice and respectful, and they all made me feel like I belonged there.  I think that was probably the coolest thing of all.

One more thing, when my parents were coming to pick me up from the course after nine I looked toward the back nine (the clubhouse is above a HUGE hill where you can see the back) and was like wow, some day I will come back and see this place again.  Everybody was happy and then a worker whom I did not go came to me.  He said, you can play the back if you would like.  Apparently the afternoon shotgun had been cancelled.  I looked at the course, then I said I probably could not, as my parents would have to wait yet another couple hours.  I said, perhaps if my dad could ride with me in the cart, because otherwise I do not think it would be okay. He looked at me and immediatley asked if my dad had his clubs.  I told him yea and the worker, without hesitation said, well play with your dad then.  This was obviously cool news, and I was shocked.  I did not think anything like this would ever happen.  Because Mr. Doak had to go after nine holes, it was just my dad and I.  Apparently my mom and sister had a great time in the clubhouse, where they were given lunch and though they were not guests of the club or members, they still gave them the best treatment ever.  Dad and I went out and had a great time, laughing the whole nine holes, through three putts, eagles, water balls and everything.

As of today, that was one of the coolest experiences of my life.
I am sorry to blabber for so long but I cannot express my thanks enough to everybody--especially Mr. Doak.

Thanks again Tom, you made my day, my month, my year, my everything really.  It was great and I hope to be able to play with you again in the future.  You were awesome!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 03:37:42 PM by Jordan Wall »

PThomas

there are many classy people in the game of golf Jordan, and sounds like you met a bunch of them yesterday.

I enjoyed your writeups
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Robert Emmons

Thanks Jordan and thanks Tom...RHE

Jason Mandel

What a great story!  This is truly what makes the game of golf so great, stories like this.  Now wouldn't be a heck of a story if this led to a long relationship with Tom and he ends up interning then working for Tom and starts designing courses.  This has all the makings for a great movie!

Congrats Jordan!

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Steve_Roths

Great write up Jordan.  I personally love how you refer to Tom as Mr. Doak.  I am sure he is feeling a little older today.  Maybe he can shake that "bad boy" image and become more of an elder statesmen.  

:) :)

Marty Bonnar

Great thread, Jordan.

Is it just me - or does everybody else here also want to be 15 again!!!???

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Garland Bayley

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmph. If that Tom Dook keeps pulling stunts like this, then this website is going to be overrun with 16 year olds.  :'( :'( :'( :( :( >:( >:( ??? ??? ???

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

Martin,
16 as of last April.
 :)

Garland,

Tom is a great guy and I am very thankful he did this for me.  It was really special!

Dan Kelly

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmph. If that Tom Dook keeps pulling stunts like this, then this website is going to be overrun with 16 year olds.  :'( :'( :'( :( :( >:( >:( ??? ??? ???

;D

Don't worry about it. Most 16-year-olds have to go to school a pretty fair portion of their time.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

Thanks for the writeup, Jordan, sounds like a great time.

Did Tom share anything about the course with you that surprised you, something you would not have noticed on your own?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back