News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Thomson

Re:Your Favourite Links and Three Chasers
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2006, 09:21:38 AM »
Thommo,

How did your short game fare at Dornoch?

It was fine, but if I played there again with the short game I currently boast - I feel it may be a different story.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2006, 09:58:52 AM »
As much as I love playing the championship courses they are too expensive, busy and well kept for my « peasant » tastes – thus my favourite Links Courses based on quirky originality.

Machrahanish for it’s remoteness and surprise at every turn,

chased by my favourite quirks

Prestwick
North Berwick
Brora

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »
For me and my opinions are biased primarily on performances during tournaments..
Royal Birkdale

followed by
Western Gailes
Lahinch
Turnberry

For shear fun however...Western Gailes again
Brancaster
Mullion
Burnham and Berrow
Hillside

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2006, 10:46:40 AM »
I have only played a few.

Shot- Muirfield

Chasers- North Berwick, Old Course and Carnoustie.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »
Favorite - Royal Dornoch
Best - Royal Portrush

Other Two - (Favorite now not necessarily best)

Turnberry
Carne

I'm obvously going for the beauty and "experience" with those two rather then the architecture (It's where I would choose to spend a day)

Richard Phinney

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2006, 06:38:41 PM »
Portrush.

Old course
Sandwich
Baltray

Honorable mention: carnoustie

redanman

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »
TOC

Royal Dornoch
HCEG (Muirfield)
North Berwick West Links

Potentially revisable soon.

Sean_A

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2006, 10:47:17 AM »
This thread made a bit of a comeback recently.  I realized that I never named my choice links.  There are only eight links I would have considered for a shorter list.  It becomes very difficult when I consider that Dornoch and North Berwick are shoe ins.  It is a toss of the coin which I prefer, but North Berwick gets the nod.  My three chasers are Dornoch, Sandwich and Lahinch.

I think I stated before that I started this thread to see what people thought of Open venues when push comes to shove.  I am really surprised that they did quite poorly.  Some 45 courses in all were mentioned and there are fourteen Open courses, more than a third of those mentioned.  Yet, the Open courses received 50ish mentions out of 150ish total.  About dead on proportionally.  What is going on here?  I thought the Open venues were meant to be some of the cream of the crop in the world yet plenty of second tier links gives theses big guns a run for their money.  Carnoustie didn't even get a mention!

Obviously TOC swept the tables for Open courses.  I think Portrush finished a distant 2nd.  However, North Berwick fared much better than any other Open course other than TOC and it was mentioned nearly as much as TOC.  I find this remarkable.  I reckon it is no surprise that Dornoch cleared the tables.  The course speaks for itself.  

It is gratifying to know that Machrihanish held its own against the big boys such as Co. Down, Ballybunion and Lahinch.  Speaking of Lahinch.  I am surprised that it received 9 mentions.  I don't hear that much about Lahinch on this site.

One last note.  It is very interesting that Porthcawl had 4 mentions.  That is the equal of Lytham, Troon, Portmarnock and Birkdale combined.  Astonishing.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Lyman Gallup

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2006, 01:06:25 PM »
For the majesty and tradition: The Old Course

Lots of pretenders, my favorites are:  Muirfield, Western Gailes, and North Berwick West.  If we can count a course where the land characteristics are very "links" but you can't see the water I really like Royal Melbourne.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »
...I think I stated before that I started this thread to see what people thought of Open venues when push comes to shove.  I am really surprised that they did quite poorly ....

I think to get a more accurate picture, you would have to eliminate responses like mine, since I haven't played any of the Open courses.  It was easy for me to pick my favorites - I've only played 3, all in Ireland.

Of those who have played Open venues, how many did not select them as their favorite links?

Andy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back