News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

As many of you know, Matt Burrows took the Super job at New Haven Country Club. Previously he was very generous to many with his outing at National. With his permission I have posted his email. Here is a chance to play a Willie Park course on a Sunday in prime season pre US Open for $100 each as a group with a barbeque after. All the money goes to MS in the name of Matt and his mother. Then when Mark Chalfant asks about the "rolling terrain and nice greens" of Willie Park, we will be able to respond!  ;)

I will not be able to play but have sent in my check and hope to attend with my younger son who will be with me for the day. Please contact Matt at:

Burrowsmw@aol.com

From Matt, "As you all know I run the Boston Marathon for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in support of my Mother every year.   October is the month to commit to raise money for the charity and that is normally when I begin my training as well.  This past year was a difficult year to be a first-time superintendent and I was burned out by October and did not commit.  The National MS Society contacted me in late January and asked me to join the team, raise the money and run Boston.  I couldn't say no.  Raising the money for this charity has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life.  Nearly every person I ask for donations or tell that I run for this charity has a story to tell about someone they know that struggles with the disease.  I committed in late January and had only twelve weeks to train for one of the hardest marathons in the world.  I successfully completed Boston this April.  One of my worst races time-wise became the most rewarding due to my Mother making it from Florida to see me run for the first time.  The people she met from the charity race team and the MS Society have motivated her to try to live a little more and gave her hope.

As a result of joining the team so late, I will be hosting my annual golf outing AFTER the marathon this year.  I hope you can join me on Sunday, June 11 at 12:00 for golf at New Haven Country Club.  The fee, as always, will be $100 with all proceeds going directly to the National MS Society.  There will be closest to the pin prizes and a barbecue at my house following the event.  If anyone needs a place to stay I have a few extra rooms in my house for the night before or to stay that night and go to the U.S. Open at Winged Foot with me Monday morning .

I want to thank those of you who have been a part of this with me by donating in the past and sincerely hope you can all come see what I've got going on here at New Haven.  If you cannot make it to the outing and still wish to pledge, please remember there is no such thing as too small of a donation.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you soon,
Matthew W. Burrows
Golf Course Superintendent
New Haven Country Club
160 Hartford Turnpike
Hamden, CT 06517
203/281-0866
Burrowsmw@aol.com

Doug Braunsdorf

Re:Pre-US Open MS Outing @ New Haven Country Club Sunday June 11th
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:42:30 AM »
Bump/Is anyone from the treehouse planning to play in this event?  Cory Lewis and I are going up from NJ/PA.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:19:16 AM »
Thanks for the invite.  I love New Haven!!!

I have a no holds barred cage match at Woodway (Another Willie Park, Jr. where I was able to spend some time with Mark Chalfant this spring) that morning followed by a thrice post-poned LL game followed by 9 holes with my new favorite golfer.  He's amazed that they have a whole channel devoted solely to golf.

He confessed last night that:  "I love golf more than Daddy does!"  My wife replied:  "Impossible, but now I'll have an easier time finding both of you!"

JWK

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 08:26:51 AM »
I'm hoping to make it out with a friend or two.  This is a great cause and sounds like a wonderful day.

DB

mark chalfant

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:39:45 PM »
This is a great cause and a bargain. An outstanding Willie Park routing with classic charm.the back  is fun and challengng, very scenic too. Perhaps the best/most fun incoming  nine in the whole state. many cool greens  as well !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back