News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

The Battle for Bloomfield
« on: June 03, 2006, 10:49:49 PM »
Having finally played Gillette Ridge a couple of weeks ago, I would like to disagree respectfully with Rod Whitten as to Gillette being a better golf course than Wintonbury Hills.  Gillette Ridge, to me, is the epitome of "senseless penalty" in many places.  There are quite a few holes, such as #s 3, 10, 11, 17, and 18, which offer no bailout area whatsoever for even fairly accomplished players.  In a practice round befor my high school tournament there, I shot 76, playing well.  The next day, I shot a 90, certainly not playing a full 14 shots' worth worse.  I found myself getting penalized for shots that I would consider better than 'marginal.'  Time and again, I was frustrated that there were so many bits of silliness.  There was no reason to surround the 3rd green with nasty bunkers on three sides, and the reservoir edge not two feet left of the edge of the green.  I don't see how that affords the average golfer any kind of chance, other than to hit the shot of the day.  It's a very pretty hole, but senselessly penal.

Same case with #10.  Bunkers on all sides, and not tastefully done, in my estimation  Nowhere to bail out, which wasn't a terrible problem for me with a wege in my hands, but crazily ignorant of the prospective clientele.

#17 was a great chance to produce one of the unique holes in Connecticut golf, with the green occupying part of the bridge over a creek.  But, like other aspects of the course, it was not carried off.  The shot, especially for a somewhat-reachable par 5 (assuming you've hit a ridiculous tee shot and kept from going in the hazard across the fairway), is nuts.  You can't possibly get the ball close.

Overall, the golf course absent-mindedly bypasses strategy and becomes a complex game of horseshoes.  I will say, however, that #13 is my second-favorite reachable par 4 in CT (second to #15 at TPC River Highlands), but that's just one hole among mostly-disappointing ones.

Wintonbury, though significantly easier, possesses much better qualities.  There are plenty of fun holes, rather than drudgery.  It recognizes its audience as well, and is appropriately forgiving, while still making players of any skill level think.  One can reasonably walk Wintonbury, too.  Not so at Gillette.

Thoughts/agreements/disagreements?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tim Bert

Re:The Battle for Bloomfield
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 12:00:57 AM »
No contest in my opinion.  The fact that Gillette Ridge didn't even bother to get the course in decent shape before it opened left a bad taste in my mouth that would have been difficult to overcome even if I did enjoy the course.

I find it hard to believe that this is the same golf course management company that operates Bandon Dunes resort.  I can't imagine the public outcry if Bandon Trails had opened with similar conditions.

Had I not moved from CT last fall, I would have played Wintonbury at least 10-20 times for every time I would have ventured on to Gillette Ridge.

Anyone know how many rounds the two courses are doing a week?

Alan Gard

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:22:42 PM »
I too find Wintonbury Hills to be a much more interesting course.  Gillette Ridge has several holes/shots that I find to be just stupid.  And the holes that aren't silly are rather plain.  Hole 1 has nothing of interest
Hole 3 is a ridiculous green complex, especially with the hazard behind the green as well
Hole 4 is the dumbest Par 3 I've ever played
Hole 5 is a pretty stupid green as well
Hole 7 is a stupid tee shot for a 550+ par 5 with a long bunker grabbing drives of any reasonable length and the fact that everything right of the bunker feeds the ball to the jungle and an almost certain lost ball.

The back 9 is a little less atrocious.  I don't like the green complex at 10, but it isn't awful.
16 is the dumbest hole on the back, in my mind, since it requires about a 120-yard carry over trash to the green.  For high-handicappers, there is no strategy or choosing of the correct set of tees that can avoid this.

Frankly, if one hears stories where people are stealing range balls to play the course because they are losing too many of their own golf balls, it raises some questions about the architecture.

In my mind, the only good thing about Gillette Ridge is that I could go online on a Friday for a Saturday tee time (with a very favorable weather forecast) and have a wide variety of tee times to choose from, and we played in 3.5 hours.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 06:40:34 PM »
Tim,

We had a pretty good debate on this last summer: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=19481;start=0

Gillette Ridge is one of the few courses I have played that I really, really dislike. I don't know who they thought their market was when they came up with the design, but it couldn't have been all the old dudes who clog things up because they can't negotiate the numerous  forced carries.

The combination of stupidly penal design and really crappy conditioning makes it a course that I will never play again. Not to mention it has two of my all-time least favorite holes (2 and 4) frontloading the early going.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 06:41:05 PM by Dan_Callahan »

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 12:12:55 AM »
Good to see that my photos of the conditions are still active on that link.

I think that #4 would put up a serious fight in a "dumbest golf hole ever" contest.

I try to keep it positive on this site, and I think I do a pretty reasonable job at it.  This course just brings out the absolute worst in my feelings about golf.

michael j fay

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:28:55 AM »
Gillette Ridge proves that if you take a nice rolling piece of ground, shape every inch of it, add nine water hazards, hang out a sign that green fees are $ 80.00, no one will play it for even the discounted rate of $ 50.00.

I played it for $ 30.00 and like everyone else I know who has played it I will not be returning.

Wintonbury makes sense, offers beauty and golf value without all the busy work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back