News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Re: Is it Gullane ?
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 02:49:32 PM »
 Jim,

Thanks for the heads up! I find that my Phulldelphia mush mouth accent works well everywhere. No one knows what I am saying!
AKA Mayday

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 05:40:58 PM »
I thought the town of Gullane was one of the nicest small towns I saw in Scotland. It was very clean, and there was a very nice butcher shop just across and down from the Gullane Golf Shop. The hotel and food there was very good and the peolpe were most accomodating. I could live quite comfortably in Gullane.

Seconded - has anyone read Curtis Gillespie's "Playing Through"? His account of living in Gullane for a year, the idea presumably taken from Lorne Rubenstein's "A Season in Dornoch".

Andrew there's a thread about this book only a page or so back.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=23690
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tim MacEachern

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 07:46:16 PM »
I've played Gullane #1 as well and it is awesome.  As stated before, the view from #7 tee covers quite a swath of Scotland.  Try to find out something about Babe Didrikson's time there if you can.

However, you said "quirk".  According to Finegan, that might point you towards Bairds Hills (I forget the spelling), might it not?

And I thought it was possible to get on Muirfield on short notice now-a-days?  That's definitely worth checking out.

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 07:59:32 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for the heads up! I find that my Phulldelphia mush mouth accent works well everywhere. No one knows what I am saying!

Mike

thats what I heard from some of the people in Philadelphia! ;D

sorry, couldn't resist.  A disk of Rolling Green pictures are still coming by the way

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

mike_malone

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 08:05:53 PM »
 James,

I saw that you had posted on this topic and expected brilliance in your response , but.....

Tim,

I have Finegan's book but I wanted to pick the treehouse's brain.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 08:08:55 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 08:12:12 AM »
I think Luffness is pretty close to Gullane #1 - its best holes are possibly even a shade better than Gullane's best, even if the overall package isn't quite as good.

Mayday - if you want a game at Dunbar, give me a call (I became a member there a month ago) and hopefully I can sort something out. Not quite in the same league as Gullane or Luffness or North Berwick, but it's close and a lot of fun beside. (Andrew - #18 at Dunbar bland???)

Cheers,
Darren

Darren, I've played Dunbar on probably a dozen occasions and I've always felt the excitement was in the holes by the sea. 14-17 is a great stretch and the 18th seems a bit of a let down after that.  I agree with you that the course is a lot of fun, I've spent many a happy day there.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

michael j fay

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 08:16:13 AM »
Mayday:

Find an hour and a half and play the nine holer in Musselburgh. Rent the wooden shafted clubs, it will give you all the quirk you can find.

The Luffness course has a great set of greens.

You might want to try Longniddry or Duunbar as your other choice. You cannot go wrong with either.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 09:41:29 AM »
Andrew - I think #18 at Dunbar is a superb hole, with the rolling fairway, the interesting green complex, and of course the OB wall on the right (somehow, internal out-of-bounds seems much less annoying when a stone wall is involved!) to ask a delicate strategic question, esp. from the tee. #15 and #17 are good enough holes, but I think #18 is a better long par 4 than those are short par 4s.

By the way, Longniddry is a truly unique course - half-links, half-parkland, with a seaside feel that reminds me for some reason of Cape Cod more than Scotland. Lots of really good holes, too. Doak gives it a "5" rating in his book, which is about right, but it's perhaps a notch or two higher if you're looking for something different...

Cheers,
Darren

Tom Roewer

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 10:04:20 AM »
A little history with the concrete anti nazi landing structures.  

OT:Sorry Voytek. I was being a tad lazy in my description.

Anti-nazi?

I doubt that there were many NSDAP (Nazi party) members in German Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe.

I am not picking nits; I am just tired of the notion I see often, namely that WWII was fought by some nebulous "nazis".

It was fought by the German forces; by German army, air force and navy.

On topic - can't go wrong with Gullane #1. It is much better than the neighboring Luffness.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »
A little history with the concrete anti nazi landing structures.  

OT:Sorry Voytek. I was being a tad lazy in my description.

No problem, Tom.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back