News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sally Livingston

Best golf near Dublin and north Ireland
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:18:47 PM »
I have to believe this topic has been discussed before, so if you can guide me to the past threads or any updated information from anyone is greatly appreciated. We are going to Ireland in September, the first part of the trip we'll be on  our own for a couple rounds of golf not yet booked, the Ryder Cup, and onto the second part with a group in north Ireland and around Dublin. A friend has put this trip together for us but I'm not familiar with some of these courses:
County Louth (Baltray Golf Club) (?)
Portstewart Golf Club
Glashedy Course at Ballyliffen
Royal Portrush Golf Club (!!)
Royal County Down (!!)
The Island Golf Club (?)
Has anyone played the Island Golf Club? I'd never heard of it. Good? or other suggestions?

Sean Walsh

Re:Best golf near Dublin and north Ireland
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:39:01 PM »
Sally,

Baltray and The Island are both wonderful courses within half an hour of each other.  I would say Baltray is the marginally better course but there's little between them.  

Glashedy is a good course but a slightly more manufactured links than the two I have already mentioned.  I found the old course at Ballyliffin of more interest.  Fabulously rumpled fairways.  

Portrush and County Down speak for themselves.  I can't help with any information on Portstewart.  

If you check some of my earliest posts through my profile you will find more of my comments on Baltray and Island.  This may also assist in finding related threads.

Sounds like a great trip.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 10:47:45 PM »
You will get good help here Sally, have a great trip. My only contribution (from experience) is Royal County Down is phenomenal. If you are looking for lodging in Newcastle, the Enniskeen (sp?) House Hotel is convenient, nice and pretty reasonable by my memory. Trouble is, my memory stinks.

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:39:52 PM »
Portstewart and Baltray are quite fun, I think the higher handicaps in my group enjoyed them more than some of the other courses.  Portmarnock outside Dublin is also quite wonderful.  I wish we had also played the Valley Course at Portrush.  While in Portrush the Harbor Bistro was quite good and we caught a nice music session at the Springhill Pub.  

Have a great trip.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:57:49 PM »
Royal County Down hands down, next question. Portmarnock near Dublin is very good as well. The island is the weakest one you have on there.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 11:59:07 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Sean Walsh

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 03:42:47 AM »
Tiger,

I would say Glashedy is hands down the weakest of the group.  However weakest of that group is also no disgrace.

The Island has some wonderful short and medium par 4's. Just not quite hitting the heights of Baltray in this respect.  Also a very good bunkerless (I think) par 3 (14?).  

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 04:24:51 AM »
Castlerock is a little west of Portstewart and is a very worthwhile course as well. Tom Huckaby will no doubt see this thread and refer you to his cousin, who is a member at Castlerock and owns a B&B nearby. The Valley Course at Portrush is, as mentioned earlier, worth playing as well.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:07:26 AM »
The Island and Baltray are well worth playing. The Island is quite quirky, starts with 8 straight par 4's, all play differently though, 14 is the narrowest hole you'll ever see, 13 and 16 are two of the best par 3's in Ireland. Baltray has a wonderful variety of holes with great turf.

In Dublin I would look to play Portmarnock, Royal Dublin (which has just finished a renovation), The European Club, just south of Dublin, is well worth a trip. If you are just looking at links golf Laytown and Bettystown between The Island and Baltray should be considered.

In the North RCD and Portrush are exceptional, Portstewart and Castlerock are very good. The parkland courses of Belfast Malone, Belvoir Park and Royal Belfast are very pleasant.

In the North-West the links of Ballyliffin, Rosapenna, Portsalon, Murvagh and Rosses Point, Enniscrone, Carne (which are a bit further west) are all worth looking at.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Sally Livingston

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 06:48:39 AM »
Thank you for the good information, this really helps! Padraig, we steered our journeys to the northwest last time for a great trip. I doubt we'll make it back to that area this time, but if there is a chance we'll get a round in at Lahinch again.

michael j fay

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 08:20:26 AM »
Are you the real Sally Livingston?

Baltray is a little better than the Island. The Island is as strong as new rope and if the winds howl you may not be found for a millenium.

Baltray is a perfect little course, great scenery and nice expanses.

Enjoy!

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 10:45:19 AM »
Sally,

The Island is a real gem, not particularly long or difficult unless the wind is up but a treat to play IMO. The unique 14th with its 15 yard wide fairway has to be seen to be believed.

I'd strongly recommend a round at Portmarnock Old if you can swing it--a classic course with a number of terrific golf holes.

I'm not a fan of Royal Dublin. I found it a boring slog--maybe it's better since the redo.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:45:47 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
Castlerock is a little west of Portstewart and is a very worthwhile course as well. Tom Huckaby will no doubt see this thread and refer you to his cousin, who is a member at Castlerock and owns a B&B nearby. The Valley Course at Portrush is, as mentioned earlier, worth playing as well.

Yes indeed!
My cousin is a member at Castlerock, and I can attest it is a wonderful course.  If you can fit it into the schedule you won't be disappointed.  And this is my cousin's B&B:

http://www.linksview.co.uk/

Just say the word and the royal treatment is yours.

TH

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 10:57:17 AM »
 There are a few par threes I remember at The Island. #9 is called Bowl. There is a horseshoe dune that surrounds the green. Having to hit a ball straight down to the green is a blast. #13 Broadmeadow comes before that narrow par four just mentioned and is often cited for its cape aspects. But I love best #16 Andes. It is a volcano hole to me. The falloffs are devilish.

AKA Mayday

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 11:19:33 AM »
Like many of the Irish links on the north west coast Ballyliffin has stunning beauty and overwhelmingly friendly members.

I can also heartily recommend the Old Course at Ballyliffin. Glashedy is a good course but the hand of the bulldozer leveling the fairways is evident and the dropshop par 3 over a pond is unlike any other links hole I have played. The Old on the other hand has the odd stance and a great uphill par three to a green within a dune that is aptly named "TANK".

ForkaB

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 12:18:28 PM »
Sally

I'd be a bit cautious before booking a time at Ballylifin Old as the course is currently under renovation, and the work may not be finished by the time of the Ryder Cup.  However, my spies tell me that the work which has been done (by Faldo) is excellent and goes a long way to bringing the course back to what it was before they took away some its best holes for the Glashedy.

Ask before you go as the Glashedy is not worth the visit by itself.  Portsalon, on the other hand, definitely is.  I can't recommend that place highly enough, even though the 18th is a super quirky disaster!

Andy Doyle

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »
If you don't mind driving a bit south of Dublin, I'll second the European Club recommendation.  I thoroughly enjoyed by round there.

Andy

Jack_Marr

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »
Sally

I think you have all the best courses in that area covered, really.

The only other "handy" ones would be the European Club, Portsalon and Arklow. I don't know what has been going on in Royal Dublin, but it's not as exciting as the others. I think they're doing renovations, though.
John Marr(inan)

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 01:44:13 PM »
Is Ardglass not worth considering as a possibility?  The descriptions of the course and their website always make it sound like an interesting place.

Eamon Lynch

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 07:43:05 PM »
I'd second Ardglass. It will never be confused with County Down (25 minutes south) but since the three new holes were opened a few years back it's become a very enjoyable course, and a steal at about $55.

http://www.ardglassgolfclub.com

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 09:54:37 PM »
I'm a bigger fan of the Island than Baltray, but that's just me I guess. I thought there were some spectacular holes along with a couple of clunkers. Blatray is fun to play and has many wonderful holes, but the highs were no where near the best of the Island. Play both!

Portmarnock is a must, it was much better than I had anticipated.

Royal County Down is my favourite place in golf, which includes visits to almost all of the top 10.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 11:02:09 PM »
Ian,

The 14th at Baltray doesn't surpass the best holes at The Island?

IMHO it is the best short 4 I saw in Eire.  And short 4's are where the Island is strong.

The Island does have it over Baltray for Charming Quirk though.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 12:26:02 AM »
Sally,
For pure fun,The Island.
Yancey

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 03:54:57 AM »
Sally

I've only played 3 on your current list and definitely recommend them.

RCD - is the standout - I think everything else on your trip will pale in comparison. RP is a great test of golf and County Louth just north of Dublin near Drogheda is as well.

As others have said Portmarnock is worth trying to get on and from what I heard the Europen Club is as well and one that I will look forward to playing the next time I'm in Ireland.

Have fun...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 05:00:25 AM »
If you are just looking at links golf Laytown and Bettystown between The Island and Baltray should be considered.

Padriag Laytown and Bettystown is a new one on me. the website is lacking in picutres could you tell us more.  It has a centenary comming up but again they don't tell us about the history.   http://www.landb.ie/
Let's make GCA grate again!

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 05:14:19 AM »
I have not played L+B. The guys I know in the area always talk about how good the greens are. I was just passing on their recommendations.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back