News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Russell Lo

Random Bandon Musings
« on: June 01, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
Just returned from my first visit to Bandon. What an experience. From the 100 foot dune that fronts the Lodge to the scores of Golf bags sitting outside the clubhouse one is greeted smack in the face with the feeling that this is going to be fun.

I'll apologize in advance for any redundancy to other Bandon topics as I haven't read them all, but some of my observations. First, my gripes. The greens. Slow as molasses. Trails was playng to around a 6 on the Stimp while Bandon was being overseeded. If you didn't bang it in the hole you had no chance. I hope Trails shapes up for summer. Okay, that's it for the gripes.

I love the way Pacific and Trails meld their front and back nines so seemlessly. I'm used to playing in and out where it' so obvious that you are changing nines. Here the land dictated the routing and the flow was seamless.

I loved the way #10 and 11 at Pacific just led you right back out to the ocean and onto the gusty 12th and glorious 13th. Right after getting beat up on those four holes you hit that downwind stretch which lets you breath for a second before finishing with that great stretch of 16 (driver 40 yards left of the green rolling onto the front edge, thank you very much), 17 (hybrid drawing to a front left pin placement, thank you very much), and the wonderful 18 (driver to the 200 foot deep bunker on the left, big bummer very much). I think I'd rather play Pacific in the afternoon winds to really get the most out of it.

One problem I had at both Pacific and Trails was landing the ball just short of the green expecting it to run onto the surface, but instead having the ball die. Meanwhile, those whe landed 10 feet shorter were getting bounces all the way up to the hole. My caddie, Papa Cup explained that the watering runoff from the greens sometimes makes the surround 3 foot fringe softer than the area farther away.

Another observation: playing the bump and run wither with a hybrid from 30 yards away or bumping an 8 iron into a bank and letting it trickle to the holw were not shots I had in my bag when I arrived. thanks Papa Cup for the key shotmaking lessons "links" style.

I loved the mound in the front right of Trails #4. although the direct line from the tee is the right hand side the play really is across the left of that wonderful bisecting diagonal ridge. Great hole.

After all the love Trails and Pacific showed it's still Bandon that keeps coming to me when I'm falling asleep. From the uphill approach at #1 to the back pin placement at #2 you really gotta get going early or this place will eat you up.

Each hole had a different "line of charm" depending on the wind and that's what made it so fun. Tremendous finishing holes, I still think the drive I hit deep into the neck of 17 was the best of all 3 days there.

Glad I got a caddie, although not after the first day. After the 3rd round he figured out how I played and I figured out what he was trying to tell me and my socres plummeted while my enjoyment escalated. Our caddies, Tom, Wyatt (the ballhunter), George, and especially Lawrence were outstanding. I guess Lawrence was a junior champ at Riviera as his mom was a pro there and he was recalling fondly when the barranca was in play on #8. He said he has caddied in all 4 majors for the likes of Greg Norman, Ray Floyd and others and it showed. Outstanding job.

Can't wait to go back.

David Kelly

Re:Random Bandon Musings
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »
Thanks for the report.  

The great thing about your desciptions of how the holes at Pacific played is that on your next trip the holes may be playing exactly the opposite of the way you described them if you get the wind coming from the other direction.

We disagree on the merits of BD as compared to PD and BT.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Russell Lo

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:08:33 PM »
David,

Don't get me wrong. I loved Trails and Pacific. shot my best round (79) at Pacific in the afternoon and couldn't get the routing and design of Trails out of my head. My favorits stretch at Trails is the uphill 7th with a south breeze. Crushed a drive and got my 4 iron Olajuwoned 10 yards short of the green by a breeze we only felt after it slapped the ball down, followed by the driveable #8. 9 was a monster into that south breeze with #10 giving a little break. #11 was a fabuloous hole with the pond on right and the big downhill 2nd shot being my favorite downhill shot until I got to the 13th. Going back to Trails #12, how can a 250 yard par 3 be the 18th handicap hole on the course? Fantastic. The downhill tumble to #13 is just beautiful. The way the hole lays out in front of you and that treacherous bunker, 15 feet lower than the green on the right got me both times we played there.

Re; Pacific, now I know what people are talking about when they write that the course winds in and out of the dunes...how the plains are cut up by #12, 13 and #15 and the gorse sitting on where the 4th course is going.

My caddie kept calling the gorse the "Scottish Love Bush". His explanation was that if you went in it, you're pretty much fu*^ed! How true. I've never seen anything so nasty.

I loved Trails and Pacific, but, again, it's Bandon that returns to my thoughts. I'm not sure if that makes it my favorite, just one that I can't stop thinking about.

It reminds me of the line Nick Nolte used at the end of the "Prince of Tides" when he crosses that bridge and all he says he hears is "Lowenstein, Lowenstein". that's the way Bandon is for me.

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:48:59 PM »

From the uphill approach at #1 to the back pin placement at #2 you really gotta get going early or this place will eat you up.

Russell -- What's the status of Bandon #1?  From your description of the approach to BD #1, it sounds like they are still playing to the original green.  Any word on when they plan to start play to the new green?  

Thanks

David Kelly

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:03:44 PM »
It reminds me of the line Nick Nolte used at the end of the "Prince of Tides" when he crosses that bridge and all he says he hears is "Lowenstein, Lowenstein". that's the way Bandon is for me.

As ugly as Streisand's mug?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:58:31 PM »
David Kelly;

Who are you referring to when you use the term 'we', as in
"We disagree on the merits....."

Just wondering, and
thanks in advance.

Tom
the pres

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 09:02:34 PM »
It's pretty clear David meant himself and Russell.

Hope that doesn't disappoint any conspiracy theorists out there.

Thanks for the writeup Russell - I had thought I was the only poster who hadn't been to Bandon.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:22:49 PM »
George........thanks.  That makes perfect sense!

Tom
the pres

David Kelly

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:28:13 PM »
Exactly, thanks George.

I should have written, "You and I" to be more precise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back