News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

Female archies / female posters?
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:46:07 AM »
Are there any female architechts other than Alice Dye? The only one I can think of is Lisa Maki, who did Stoneleigh in Virginia?

Second question, are there any female posters here?

Just wondering...

TimT

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Female archies / female posters?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:57:48 AM »
Emmy is a poster here at GCA.

Vicki Martz of Palmer Design is a prominent architect with that firm:

www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/women/gfw200407architect.html

Jan Beljan is with Tom Fazio.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 11:00:23 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Noel Freeman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:07:57 AM »
The lovely and quick witted Line Mortensen from Danmark.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 11:35:32 AM by NAF »

James Edwards

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:11:30 AM »
Noel, subtlely put  :-X
@EDI__ADI

Noel Freeman

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:36:46 AM »
JJSE-- Line is the only woman ever to utter a euphemism which I will not share in this forum when I came up 2 feet short on a tying putt in team match play (she was on the other side)... it was deadpanned and quite funny.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 07:39:19 PM »
Paul Cowley sometimes wears a kilt.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:18:30 PM »
Don't know about posters but Cynthia Dye McGarey, Pete's niece, worked at Promontory in Utah and is the lead designer at White Horse Golf Club on the Kitsap peninsula in Washington State.

Jan Stephenson also has her own firm, or is affiliated with a firm, in Orlando and has co-design credit on a course near Daytona and another course, I believe, in the works.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:35:25 PM »
Paul Cowley sometimes wears a kilt.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »
I think Sally Livingston is a new poster...

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 12:07:03 AM »
Wasn't Annika recently engaged to do a course somewhere.  Maybe this explains her recent slump. ;)

Joanne O'Haire former asst. pro at Royal County Down designed the second course at St. Patricks Links in N.W. Ireland.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

GregRamsay

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »
PGA player and commentator Jane Crafter is working with Brother Neil and Revered Paul Mogford, see their great new website www.golfstrategies.com.au/GS_main.htm

Denmark's Line Mortensen is an architect with a hunger for experiencing the rich array of golf course styles around the world.  After completing a lap around Australia's finest tracks, Line then spent a few weeks finding great golf holes at some of Scotland's more distant golf courses.  see www.golfbanen.dk

Mike Clayton uses an enlightened lady by the name of Jill Spargo to assist with the placement of their forward tees, she provided terrific input at Barnbougle Dunes.

Chris Kane

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 12:46:49 AM »
Greg, interesting to hear your confirmation that Jill Spargo was involved at Barnbougle - I mentioned it a few months ago and got this reply from Doak:

Um, Chris, Jill Spargo was never at Barnbougle during its construction as far as I know.  (I wasn't there every day, of course.)  Most of the forward tees were placed by myself and/or Brian Schneider.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 03:27:29 AM »
Greg
The revered Paul Mogford - didn't mean reverend by any chance did you? My sister Jane has joined our firm and will hopefully be involved with us as a design consultant for a course in North Queensland should it proceed. Will also have a bit of an announcement shortly concerning Jane and a national consultancy. Watch this space.

I am also researching British golfer and architect Molly Gourlay who was an assistant to Tom Simpson for a few years before WW2. She was a top rate amateur, Curtis cup player and would in all likelihood be Britain's first woman architect. The overall title for the first would be Marion Hollins I suppose. Anyone out there with any specific information about Molly Gourlay I would love them to contact me.

cheers Neil

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 04:19:06 AM »
Neil -- a brief Google search uncovered the following about Molly's involvement with Ballybunion Old, from a website called "Top 100 Golf Courses of the British Isles"...

"The Old course remained relatively anonymous until it hosted the Irish Championship in 1937; prior to the tournament, Tom Simpson and Molly Gourlay were called in to make suitable alterations to the layout. Little has changed since."

The site lists her as one of Ballybunion's four architects.  

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=10

Sally Livingston

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 06:42:19 AM »
Going back, let's not forget Marion Hollins who worked with Alister Mackenzie.
Yep, a female poster here too! ;D  

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 06:48:38 PM »
Jim
Thanks for that. Yes, I am aware of Molly Gourlay's work in Ireland with Tom Simpson - she was also involved with him in remodelling Carlow GC there in 1937. I am curious to know of any other work she may have done with Simpson on the continent or in Britain itself.

Sally
Yes I think Marion Hollins would have been the first woman architect. Mackenzie was confident enough in her abilities that he sent her to Augusta to do a site visit for him when he was unable to attend, which is a sign of particular faith in her talents I would say.
cheers Neil

Shane Sullivan

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 02:00:14 AM »
Female poster here.

Shane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back