News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Up and back fairway cut
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:01:16 PM »
I should be able to think of some of the clubs that've gone to the old up and back fairway cut but anyway would you guys mind reminding me of some of them, preferably in the Northeast.

We want to do it but me and our super have a few questions of those who do it about turning.

Thanks

Glenn Spencer

Re:Up and back fairway cut
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
1999 Ryder Cup at TCC.

Last time I was at Huntington Country Club, (2002) they had it and it looked fantastic. It is my personal favorite.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 05:08:16 PM »
Huntington Country club...Glenn Creutz, GCS

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »
We do it occasionally...it's quick and it looks good.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »
Tom,
  The ones that I know of that have when I was there or seen on TV are the following
-NGLA, Friars Head, East Hampton, Yale, Shinnecock, Maidstone, The Black, Merion, Wykagyl CC and The Creek.
  We do it alot (2-3x per week) and I like the look-it keeps things from getting too busy looking!

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 05:11:33 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JESII

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 05:11:46 PM »
Tommy,

This may sound strange, but I think we do. Is it bad for a memory to be this bad at 31? You obviously know how to get to Scott, and I can assure you that we have done it in the fairly recent past if we are not doing it right now so he'll have some input. Maybe even input as to why we are no longer doing it (if that is the case, that is). ??? :-\ ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 05:14:03 PM »
First time I ever really noticed it was the US Senior Open at Salem a few years ago.

Shinnecock had it at the recent Open (I think).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 05:14:32 PM »
Craig:

Our super is primarily concerned about turf wear from tires as the machines turn around bunkers and such. I guess the turning near the approaches is a concern too but it seems to be mostly around bunkers even now with the striping.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 05:22:35 PM »
Schuylkill Country Club in Orwigsburg, PA

All the Bethpage Courses.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 05:53:16 PM »
TEPaul...when you say up and back are you thinking "2 stripe" or are you talking about mowing "with" the direction of the hole?

A two stripe mow job leaves 1/2 the fairway "dark" and 1/2 "light" and requires less turning, in reality and gives the fairway that old gang mower look.

When we mow "with"...in the direction the hole runs, yes, there is much turning, especially in front of the green....

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Steve Curry

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »
Tom,

Too many to count but we do at BHCC.

Here is Lookout Mountain GC, Dormant.

a thread on the subject...
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=20717;start=0

Cheers,
Steve
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:25:49 PM by Steve Curry »

Steve Curry

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 06:43:50 PM »
Tom,

I just noticed you had started that thread, misplaced it?

Steve

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »
Philmont north and south went to it this year. The Elks Club down the road from Penn State has it. Did anyone say Eastward Ho yet?

Steve Curry

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 07:54:06 PM »
Bill,  Here it is at Eastward Ho!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 07:54:17 PM »
TEPaul;

We here at Bandon are not in your neighborhood (we are NE of Hawaii, though) but all the fairways here are mowed in the 'block' style.......half light, half dark.  Little or no tire damage.

Tom
the pres

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 08:15:05 PM »
TEPaul:

One possible negative factor of the "up and back" pattern is the impact on strategy. At Bay Hill in the early '90's, they were still mowed in an up and back pattern. On shorter holes where you may hit less than driver off the tee, good players might aim at the down grain half so that the ball was lying down grain for the wedge apprroach. I learned that trick from one of our Tour player members, and once I started doing it, it definitely made a difference on how well you could control your ball.

But I bet you already thought of that aspect......

Brad Swanson

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 08:21:04 PM »
Do courses that use this pattern alternate which side is "dark" and which side is "light"?  If so, how often should the mow pattern be reversed?

Cheers,
Brad

Joe Hancock

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 08:48:58 PM »
Brad,

We mow this pattern, and rotate direction each week (3-4 mowings per week). This way the grain and visual is minimized.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dan Boerger

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 09:11:28 PM »
Aronimink does this now and when I played Winged Foot West last summer they did it too. I like the look of it.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 09:31:49 PM »
I'm really out of my element when the topic is maintenance or agronomy but here goes....

It seems that when done with modern, light weight equipment, up and back mowing would be easier on the grass because of fewer, wider turns.

I would liken it to a Zamboni resurfacing the ice at a hockey game- long, lazy ovals.

Perhaps Phil Benedict knows better than I, but I think the CC of Waterbury in CT does the up and back thing.  know they used to- forty years ago.

Would the mowing happen in opposite directions on alternate mowing days?

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Adam_Jessie

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 09:41:05 PM »
The up and back fairway cut has been in use at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club since the beginning. We have taken it a step futher this year when we started mowing our tees with the same light and dark mowing pattern. This seems to give us a more traditional look from the top of the hill as well as on the tee box.

Adam Jessie
 Asst. Superintendent
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 07:38:39 AM by Adam_Jessie »

Steve Sayers

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 10:09:14 PM »
Lu Lu often has the up and back mowing patters in the fairways.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 11:45:13 PM »
Adam..I like it!  We built 4 new tee's last fall and I started mowing them this spring with the two stripe pattern....now that we have opened them for play they are being mowed more conventionally. :(
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 11:46:59 PM »
It seems to me that there is way less wear and tear on the golf course....it doesn't take as long as some mowing patterns, and I would think there's fuel savings as well.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Troy Alderson

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »
Tom,

I would make sure the mowers turn with a 3 point turn to minimize wear and tear.  Up/Back is a classic look that is not understood by most golfers.  Most seem to prefer the diamond striping that distracts from the game.

Troy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back