News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Anyone read this book?
« on: May 27, 2006, 03:33:22 PM »
Has anyone read "Playing Through: A Year of Life and Links Along the Scottish Coast" by Curtis Gillespie. I was told by someone not to bother with it but I was wondering if anyone else on here may have found some merit in the book.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

George Pazin

Re:Anyone read this book?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »
I started it but only got around 2 chapters in before being distracted by something else. (I have ADRD - Attention Deficit Reading Disorder :)).

You're welcome to borrow my copy if you'd like, just IM me your address. It looked somewhat promising, it just doesn't fit high enough on my reading priority list.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Alfie

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 05:04:15 PM »
David,
I've read this one and found it to be an excellent read. Mind you, I'm familiar with Gullane and some of the characters in the book (Archie Baird, historian - fantastic and generous man !)

However. I've just finished PREFERRED LIES by Andrew Greig and would recommend it anyone ! I got my copy at www.amazon.co.uk for £8 and it's been worth every penny !
There are some who don't like the term "Get it" in golf ? IMO, Andy Greig does "Get it !"
He nearly died and after recovering, decided to write a golf book contrary to his usual novels. He tours some of Scotland's finest - and some of the 'non-classic' courses and makes some refreshing assessments and appraisals.

Alfie

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 12:05:27 AM »
It is one of those books that has been near my bedside table for a long time but never got to it. If you like it 9 or don't), please let me know. Thanks.

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 01:13:00 AM »
Gillespie's book is wonderful in how it weaves in family, father, Muirfield and Gullane, and playing golf for pure joy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 06:42:22 AM by Brad Klein »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 11:17:35 AM »
Jack Whitaker wrote a good yarn in his "Preferred  Lies and Other Tales".

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 11:49:06 AM »
This is very much his personal view of the trip - you will learn far more about his wife and two kids than golf in Gullane (although you will learn there are apparently 3, not two, ways of pronouncing it.)

Lorne Rubinstein’s A Season in Dornoch is in comparison easily a Doak 8 to Gillespie's 4 on the same scale.  It has a similar theme but is much more interesting and is particularly good on the history of the highlands.  IMHO. :)

(PS I'm going to check out Alfie's other recommendation - he's never been wrong so far.)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:51:03 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 11:23:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:53:09 AM »
I read the book expecting something similar to "A season in Dornoch".  Although the subject matter is the same the books are very different.  

Gillespie's is in summary about how he used this year in Scotland to come to terms with the death of his father.

It probably wasn't the book I was expecting and as a result was a little disappointing to me.    

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:51:40 AM »
Dave - I stopped reading it, obviously didn't find it all that good
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back