News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Oak Tree-Overseeded?
« on: May 28, 2006, 01:59:34 PM »
Upon watching the Seniors today and also viewing the coverage easrlier in the week, I wondered it Oak Tree is overseeded? I understand that the greens are bent, but it appears that the tees, fairways and collars are overseeded? All these surfaces have and darker, cool season color to them.This would seem a bit strange to me as I would think Oak Tree would be going through some transition issues. Anyone know for sure?

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

RT

Re:Oak Tree-Overseeded?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 02:57:16 PM »
Anthony,

The time I was there the course had the apple green Cohansey (C-7) bentgrass greens with common bermuda everywhere else (except a few shady tees with Meyer Zoysia).

I am not privy to a TV showing the tourney, but it could well be they did overseed just for the tourney to be sure there would be no potential issues with spring dead spot should they still have common bermudagrass on the fairways.

It was some years visious back in the 70's-mid 80's after some very cold dry winters.

Waiting for some more venerated observations and info.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 03:05:27 PM by RT »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »
Upon viewing the course more, it appears overseeded. I've been seeing alot of ryegrass clumps in the roughs on the outlines of the fairways.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »
I believe at the beginning of the telecast they said the course was overseeded...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:28:42 PM »
Yes.I played there a month ago and the fairways looked just like they did this week.They are killing the fairways in a few days and dont expect good conditions for a month which seems quick to me.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 09:48:26 PM »
Mike,
  I'm going to guess that they are just using a herbicide like Monument, Tranxit, or Revolver to kill that OVERSEEDED grass. The beauty of these herbicides is that they do not harm the bermuda and allow for the complete removal of the cool season and more time for the bermuda strengthen and not have to compete with the overseed.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 10:02:07 PM »
Tony,that would make sense.I guess saying the fairways will be good in a month is logical because the bermuda grows well this time of year.I noticed they already had fans running on a few greens during the practice round.I bet they are overdue to be punched,as most bent in our part of the world gets an early May punching and Oak Tree skipped that.Members do give up a lot for a tourney.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:49:56 AM »
Oak Tree is generally not overseeded in the winter - I don't think it ever has been before.

They must have done some work to keep the poa annua out this time of year. Our driving range hitting area at OU was overseed in the winter, but in April and May the poa went nuts. It would all die out in June and July though. There didn't seem to be much poa at Oak Tree.

Those overseeded fairways must have been a nice change of pace from the usual conditions in Oklahoma over the winter.

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 02:14:07 AM »
Although it doesn't look nice and green,419(which I believe Oak Tree has)is a really nice dormant surface,and seems to have a short dormant season.Although our climate 200 miles south is a touch milder,we quit overseeding when we went to 419.This also eliminates the transition seasons.

RT

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 05:07:53 AM »
Mike,

Are you sure about 419 in central OK?  Matt when you played there in winter was it a fine textured bermuda hybrid, or the courser common bermuda?  Just curious yellow from an agronomy point of view.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back