News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Best Sucker Pins
« on: May 30, 2006, 08:03:06 PM »
I'll start  :)

Cheers,
Brad

peter_p

Re:Best Sucker Pins
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »
I don't have a picture, but one of the best sucker pins is the middle of the 13th green at the Reserve Vineyards (OR). Narrow, reverse camber angular green, no run-up option with a deep run off pitching area. Protected in front by a diagonal four foot high ridge (rough) which downslopes into the front part of the green. Only a wedge, but you better have a high spin rate.
  True story. When the OGA was rating this course before it opened, the women's team went to the 14th green. The cross ridge completely obscures the green, and they went to the nearest green complex in sight.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:47:27 PM by Peter Pittock »

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:53:22 AM »
Brad:

#1, left pin, same course
   #4, "      "     "       "
   #6, left rear pin, "   "
   #8, rt. front ", "      "
    Any pin on 11 :)
   #13, rt. front
   #15, middle to left front
   #17, left  
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

JESII

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:34:38 AM »
Gene,

How about a right pin on #7?

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 06:42:24 AM »
The ultimate may be the left side of the Road Hole green.

Gene Greco

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 06:54:50 AM »
JES:

That would not be referred to as a "sucker pin."

That would be a pin which would require a new classification altogether - one which would put to question the player's general level of intelligence in a brutally direct manner. (Insert your own politically incorrect profane adjective and noun here).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:48:48 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Brad Swanson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 06:20:48 PM »
JES,
   Is this far enough right for ya?

Cheers,
Brad

Gene Greco

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:04:02 PM »
Brad:

Look at that incomparable turf on the third fairway. It was flawless - post US Open. I've never seen turf like that even at Augusta.

JESII

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 08:36:13 PM »
Is there a course anywhere that photographs better than Shinnecock?

I've never been to Cypress, or many of the other great seaside courses (and I would not consider Shinnecock seaside even though it's pretty darn close), but these pictures from Brad are absolutely breathtaking. Maybe it's just Brad. Great pictures!

And yes Brad, that far right is a serious pin. Although, I'm sure our friend Gene would not shy away from the required high cut that lands like a feather, especially with that days wind. I know I'd probably try it and make 5.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 09:46:01 PM »
I would suggest anywhere at the front near the burn on #1 TOC and close to the 'valley of sin' on #18

Also - anywhere on #17 TPC Sawgrass ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 04:29:26 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 11:03:08 AM »
Here is the bunkerless 12th green at Pilgrims Run.  The pin is on a small shelf and anything left is quickly shoved off the green.  You know your playing an interesting layout, when the undulations act as obstacles and create "sucker pins."  Nice work Mike!!!

"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:37:57 AM »

True story. When the OGA was rating this course before it opened, the women's team went to the 14th green. The cross ridge completely obscures the green, and they went to the nearest green complex in sight.
True story. When I played this hole with Peter the first time, I could not figure out why the distances on the sprinkler heads were so obviously wrong by a big factor as I was planning to hit to the 14th green. Luckily I was not the shortest drive and Jim Adkisson hit first, which clued me in as to where to go.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 11:55:25 AM »
Yale must have some nice ones.

#1, left front
#2, back left
#8, back left (although there's probably enough helping slope on the right side of the green)
Is there a sucker pin on 9, or are they all just tough?
#10, back right
Do Redans have sucker pins?
Do Double Plateaus?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Brad Swanson

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »
JES,
   The pic of #10 at is Neil Regan's craftwork (although that is me playing my second away from the flag from 70 yards) :-[
I can claim the pic of #7.  My favorite pic from that great day would have to be this one from 9 green looking out over 18 green and up to 14 in the distance, though.

Cheers,
Brad

Ryan Crago

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 12:39:23 PM »
garland & peter,

which course is that at the reserve??? i've played both, but can't remember the hole for the life of me.

rc.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 04:00:05 PM »
Ryan, that is the short par 4 on the north course.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 04:12:20 PM »
The best sucker pin is the next one I shoot at and miss the green - I see 18 green lights out there.

My favorite sucker pin in the world is back of the 18th at NGLA...

Must fire at pin, must fire at pin...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back