News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Chicago Aerial: Name This Course, Yes Its Itasca
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:53:10 PM »
From the 1938-1941 DOA project.  This course was mentioned in another thread within the past month or so.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:02:08 AM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

Re:Chicago Aerial: Name This Course
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:20:14 PM »
is it Mill Road Farm in Lake Forest?

just throwing an idea out there  ???
H.P.S.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:28:09 PM »
Some of the bunkers and greens suggest a Willie Park, Jr. course.

It's the aerial that's from 1938-1940, not the course right/?

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »

It's the aerial that's from 1938-1940, not the course right/?

Correct, the date refers to the aerial.  

Sorry, not Mill Road or Willie Park.  See last week's Chicago aerial thread for a Mill Road Aerial and Park's Olympia Fields North Course.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:53:17 PM »
The Par 3 in the middle of the property and the holes on the lower right are fascinating, and seem to be on some rolling ground.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:55:03 PM by Kyle Harris »

peter_p

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 09:16:57 PM »
Is this a little bit west of Highland Park and one of the architects affililated with Wrigleyville? OOps, I had the wrong letter doubled in the reference to Wrigleyville.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:19:34 PM by Peter Pittock »

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 09:31:10 PM »
No, not near Highland Park.  While not a major venue, it's near one.  

Peter, its raining at Clark and Allison tonight.   ;D :(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:33:31 PM by Dan Moore »

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 11:00:25 PM »
Next guess haha...I'm about 95% sure it's Flossmore CC, right next to Olyimpia.
H.P.S.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 02:49:24 AM »
It's not Flossmoor, which is on a rectangular piece of land (mostly) running north-south.
From the angle of the road on the bottom (I presume south) of the photo, I was going to guess the Palos Hills course in the Cook County Forest Preserves, but the entrance for that was on the south end, and I see no entrance here. (The course was closed when the Manhattan Project's second reactor was built, replacing the one at the U of C during World War II.)
So, I dunno.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tom Roewer

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 06:52:35 AM »
I'm thinking that it is Itasca C.C.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 10:35:32 AM »
Dan: Do you remember the date of that thread?  I woul really like to find out whose original design it is.  The club website states that the original architect is unknown and mentions 2 renovations since.  I see some real similarity to Raynor design in this aerial, do you?

Dan Moore

Re:Chicago Aerial: Name This Course, Yes Its Itasca
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 11:04:15 AM »
Maybe Shivas can give some insight into the original designer.  The course was previously mentioned in a thread where Shivas got all warm and fuzzy about the work of Robert Bruce Harris on his then home course where he added bunkers such as this.

Dan Moore

Dan Moore

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 01:34:45 PM »
What is amazing to me is the extent to which all the green shapes have been changed to circles.  The original had quite a variety of shapes.  

Dan Moore

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 12:54:13 AM »
Shivas,

I'll probably try to put one up per week.  By Edgebrook do you mean the Forest Preserve Course on Central?  Butterfield is Langford, have you played it?  In the meantime here is part of a course you'll like.  For those of you not familiar with this one, the course is a little hard to see.  It's to the right of the stadium near the canal and train tracks.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 07:29:36 AM »
Shiva made me feel so welcome by calling me a "jagoff" that i'll give him another chance.  This is Peter N. Jans Community Golf Course run by Willamette parks district.  What a neat routing!

Tom Roewer

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 09:46:01 AM »
Shivas:  I knew that.  It really did make me feel welcome.  Was talking to my friend after our discussion (he's a member @ Riverside) and I really didn't know it was such an old club.  I probably should have realized knowing the land it's on and it's proximity to city center.  Another really good one nobody hears about.  

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 10:17:55 AM »
I've always felt that jag_ _ _ if a far underused word..seems it was used far more when I was a yout..

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:18:17 AM by Paul T »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back