News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Re:Not exactly Columbus, Ohio
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 04:26:57 PM »
Jal,

I just moved here and I don't know if I am going to be joining someplace or not. I have not found the public golf to be anything to write home about. I like Miami Whitewater a little bit. I have to drive out to Stonelick Hills just to practice and I live in Covington. Cooks Creek and Darby Creek are dogs as well. I did like Champions though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 04:28:19 PM by Glenn Spencer »

John Goodman

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »
I didn't know if you had been down this way, is all.  Looks like you have -

My view was this town wasn't all that great from a golf perspective (if only in the context of your question).

I can for sure say, though, as I often say in other contexts, "thank God for Mississippi." ;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 04:40:38 PM »
John,

You are probably right, but Shoal has hosted a few things and it has the Junior coming and CC of Birmingham has the Southern this year and there are some really nice clubs there. Cincinnati is just so out of the national or regional loops. Greystone has the invitational that is wildy popular as I found out, applied like 6 weeks too late. Cincinnati seems to be just a self-serving golf town and that is fine, but it sucks to live here if you are a golf fan.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 04:49:05 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 04:52:50 PM »
John,

Chattanooga (Honors Course, Lookout Mountain, Black Creek) and Memphis (Memphis CC, Spring Creek Ranch, TPC-Southwind) trump Nashvegas (A tight-knit grouping of "high 5's") in my book.  Knoxville is a push based on Holston Hills alone.  

Interestingly, Memphis and Chattanooga have long been great golf towns.  

Mike  
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ChasLawler

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 06:02:36 PM »
I was wondering what are some of the big cities that have very few great or even good golf courses? What cities don't host major events?

Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA
Oklahoma City, OK
Jacksonville, FL
Omaha, NE

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 08:24:50 PM »
DCronan,

What's the word on Olde Stone in Bowling Green?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »
DCronan,

Is it true that Valhalla is shutting down for a while for renovations...do you know what they are up to..

peter_p

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »
   New Orleans, Portland OR, San Diego, Charlotte.
   I think the heat has a lot to do with omissions like Phoenix and Las Vegas for the US Open or the PGA. They could probably play, but the spectators would wilt. Hurricanes, humidity, lightning are all problems.

David Kelly

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 08:55:39 PM »
As of April 2005 according to the US Census Bureau Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA is the 13th biggest metropolitan area in the country with 3.8 million people (right between San Francisco and Phoenix).  

The best classic courses in this area might be Victoria Country Club in Riverside or Redlands Country Club neither of whom would be in the Top 250 classic list.  As far as moderns it would probably be PGA West Stadium or maybe Stone Eagle.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »
Peter, I'm surprised it took so long for someone to mention New Orleans...  Doesn't Pumpkin Ridge count for being in Portland?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »
Peter,

Those are nice additions. New Orleans is really bad. I was thinking San Diego in my initial post. Charlotte though? Quail Hollow and Charlotte Country Club are certainly solid, but I guess they haven't hosted anything and aren't going to any time soon.

David Kelly,

Thank you for the stats. I am at fault for not being specific, but I am not prepared to rag on places like that, because I don't think it is their fault because the money wasn't there in the beginning and therefore it is no shock that there are not any classics or big ones.

JLahrman

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006, 09:11:30 PM »
Glenn, I don't know Northern Kentucky very well at all.  I play quite a bit at Sharon Woods.  Blue Ash is decent although a bit cramped.  Glenview is OK for the most part.

I actually like a lot of holes at Champions (3,6,9,11,12,15,18) but something just doesn't sit right about #8.  Beyond Champions though, I have no idea where to go to play within 270.

David Kelly

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006, 09:15:18 PM »
Glenn,

The money was certainly there at the turn of last century.  Redlands CC and what became Victoria CC (originally Riverside Polo and CC) are two of the five charter members of the Southern California Golf Association.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

peter_p

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2006, 09:32:35 PM »
   I take Portland off the list. It did host a PGA, but pre WWII on a NLE course (Alderwood). Also a Ryder Cup. My list was only big cities that haven't hosted a major. Pumpkin Ridge has hosted the US Am and Womens Open, but those aren't what I think of when someone says the majors.

peter_p

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2006, 09:35:54 PM »
Glenn,
What's the Nicklaus course out by the roller coasters?
I can testify it can grow hellacious rough. I've played off the cart path rather than drop and lose it.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2006, 09:38:58 PM »
David,

I stand corrected. I was merely trying to compare to bigger cities in the country where business was thriving more and there was more of a need for something great. Does that make any sense, I think it does to some degree, you may not at all. Cincinnati was potentially going to be just like Philadelphia if it wasn't for the railroad. It was a definite place of action and I feel it is easier to question Cincinnati.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2006, 09:40:03 PM »
Cabell,

Jacksonville, FL has the TPC (arguably a 5th major in some circles) - Timuquana hosted the Sr. Amateur (granted not a major, but a national championship nonetheless), and other Jacksonville golf fares favorably compared with many mentioned cities...

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2006, 09:41:18 PM »
Peter,

The Grizzly course at Kings Island. It is pretty average, not bad, not great. Different than anything else that I have played. I didn't feel like it was real consistent. Haven't been there in 5 years, but don't remember the rough as a huge problem.

peter_p

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2006, 09:43:23 PM »
It was when I played in May, 1975. About 5+ inches deep, but they've mowed since then :o

David Kelly

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2006, 09:43:36 PM »
Glenn,

I certainly see your point and in the early part of the twentieth century that area of California was almost entirely orange groves and farms but there was big money there.

You could also excuse Tampa and Miami because despite Flagler, the population of south and western Florida didn't really take off until the widespread adoption of indoor air conditioning.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2006, 07:28:03 AM »
D,

Thanks...yea I heard temp greens.  If you can find out if they will be installing Sub-Air and possibly removing the above ground fans..

ChasLawler

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2006, 07:29:56 AM »
Cabell,

Jacksonville, FL has the TPC (arguably a 5th major in some circles) - Timuquana hosted the Sr. Amateur (granted not a major, but a national championship nonetheless), and other Jacksonville golf fares favorably compared with many mentioned cities...

I forgot about the TPC, although it's not really IN Jacksonville...nevertheless - I stand corrected.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2006, 08:02:21 AM »
Don't even think of including Indianapolis....It could be the best city in the country for cost vs class ratio...
we played Wolf Run and Brickyard yesterday, so many good courses up there

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »
DCronan,

Is it true that Valhalla is shutting down for a while for renovations...do you know what they are up to..
They are reseeding all the greens, recontouring all the greens.  Totally rebuilding 4 greens complexes.  Adding some new tees and bunkers.  Adding about 200 yards mostly by moving greens back.  And also some other aesthetics projects around the course.   Nicklaus was in a few weeks ago to finalize things and will be back in August to check the progress

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2006, 08:20:53 AM »
D,

Thanks...yea I heard temp greens.  If you can find out if they will be installing Sub-Air and possibly removing the above ground fans..
no subair

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back