News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

TEPaul

What did we see on tour last weekend?
« on: May 29, 2006, 10:16:13 AM »
What we saw was a most interesting over-all scoring week---eg not a low total tournament winning score and a remarkably wide scoring spectrum on the part of a number of contenders.

What could we learn from those occurences?

In my opinion, the central ingredient was firm and fast playing conditions but of that central ingredient the most central of all was the firmness of the green surfaces themselves.

In a word, I thought they hit the nail of the Ideal Maintenance Meld's KEY INGREDIENT----eg GREEN SURFACE FIRMNESS) right squarely on the head.

That translates into reduced control and reliabilty of aerial shots into greens and it makes strategy and particularly execution from the tee on through of distinctly added importance.

I don't know much about that golf course but the set-up and the maintenance meld I thought was ideal.

redanman

Re:What did we see on tour last weekend?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 10:34:21 AM »
And it also works on basically any golf course, even a fairly mediocre one.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 10:34:30 AM by BillV aka redanmanŽ »

John Keenan

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 11:02:07 AM »
The question is will we see it used again on Tou?

I noted that John Cook commented that he had a chance on a course that was firm and fast.

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 11:33:21 AM »
"And it also works on basically any golf course, even a fairly mediocre one.   :)

redanman:

That appears to be a truism.  

But don't tell that to the ASGCA or they might get paranoid and think the AGCS of A is trying to gang up on them and steal their thunder.  ;)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 01:00:07 PM »
The winner only hit 39 greens.  54%.  I don't know what the record low on tour is for a winner, but I bet it can't be much lower than that.  

JESII

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 02:26:53 PM »
This is the topic that really interests me because I noticed the same thing. I do not know the golf course at all, and I only saw a very short amount on television but clearly the ball was bouncing all over the place.

How does this type of set-up change the players approach to the course?

Does it help or hurt viewership in any measurable way?

How difficult is it for a course to reach that level of firmness if the weather cooperates?

How would this type of set-up effect golf equipment marketing.....er, uh, I mean leaderboards?

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 02:31:49 PM »
 And isn't this a course that got torched by Cook in the past ?  What changed ? Is it possible that the firmness can have that dramatic an impact?

Cook shot 258 ;Maggert 271.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:41:01 PM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

JESII

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 02:45:13 PM »
And isn't this a course that got torched by Cook in the past ?  What changed ? Is it possible that the firmness can have that dramatic an impact?

Cook shot 258 ;Maggert 271.

The answer to your last question is YES, absolutely.

It effects every shot a little bit.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 03:05:01 PM »
Gents,

Cook's 258 was recorded over a par 71 course approximating 7,100 yards.  The 5th has been shortened from a 525 yards par-5 to a 480 yards par-4.  Par is now 70 with the course playing around 7,250 yards.  

Cook's performance was incredible, with the runner-up seven shots back - historically a winning score.

That said, I think it is reasonable to assume the course is at least one stroke more difficult given the speed and firmness at which the new Champion Bermuda greens can be maintained.  Memphis is ill-suited for bentgrass putting surfaces which must be heavily watered or die in the heat and humidity.  Champion  is really a superior surface in this transition zone.  

Interesting that there is some talk about moving the tournament to Nicklaus' Spring Creek Ranch, though a total absence of infrastructure there would argue otherwise.  Architecturally, TPC Southwind is not a compelling golf course, but it has evolved into a very solid test for the tour.

Mike

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 03:12:45 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JESII

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 03:06:07 PM »
To continue our conversation Mayday, I do not feel an architect can build a fraction of the strategy into a course that simply turning off the water will do all by itself.

JESII

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 03:08:52 PM »
Bogey,

You sound like you're more familiar with the course than I (or anyone else that's posted on it), did anything else happen to the course during the years since Cook lit it up? Widening? Narrowing? Green contour changes?

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 03:11:23 PM »
To continue our conversation Mayday, I do not feel an architect can build a fraction of the strategy into a course that simply turning off the water will do all by itself.

Now THIS is a genius statement.

It seemed as though the Senior PGA was pretty f&f as well, and the scores were certainly high. Former Pirate pitcher Rick Rhoden finished T31! Pretty cool.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 03:18:12 PM »
JES,

It's been several years since I played the course and I have not seen the changes. Like Will Rogers, all I know is what I read in the paper:

http://www.pga.com/news/tours/pga-tour/18_holes_with052505.cfm

Note that the article was written in May 2005.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back