News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jay Flemma

Hawktree G.C, Bismarck, ND (Jim Engh)
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:38:12 PM »
My review is up on my website.

Redux = OK, OK its not minimalist or natural looking, but so what?  God loves wonderous variety.

Jim built a really affordable course with a solid deisgn in a really pretty natural setting.  There are saome excellent holes.  Here's some thoughts.

Instead it’s Engh’s now familiar sidewalled fairways, bowl-shaped green settings (both of which give player-friendly bounces and help keep play moving) and squiggle-shaped muscle bunkers, this time filled with black slag, a burned coal by-product instead of sand.

As usual, Engh had to move a goodly amount of earth to accomplish his now trademark look and feel, in the range of 300-400,000 cubic yards. Engh is not a minimalist and his trademark rounded contours will never be mistaken for “natural,” but so what. He derives the basic themes for his holes from strategies and designs he imported from Ireland and Scotland. Even though the holes look different from anything you’ve ever seen before, they still test the same proficiency at golf as any other course. Sometimes the sidewalls keep a ball in play that would have been lost on another course and sometimes the sidewalls of the muscle bunkers are more severe than at classic layouts, but the variety is refreshing. Besides, people tried to sit on Mike Strantz’s originality when he first broke out and we all know how that turned out.

Engh has some other recurring themes in his work regarding routing that are present at Hawktree, as well as almost every other Engh course. He loves ending on a par-5 to increase the potential 18th hole swings in fortune and he loves giving players five par-5s and five par-3s in a round. As usual, the par-5s at Hawktree are all showstoppers. The fifth looks right out of Sanctuary with it’s squiggly fairway contours and severe uphill approach which tapers as you near the green. Seven features another Engh staple of the design repertoire, an expansive water hazard at the green ringed by a sunburst shaped bunker to “save” balls so they don’t bounce in the water. Engh has used this hazard successfully at Redlands Mesa (13) and Sanctuary (13) as well. At the closing hole, Engh tucks the green behind left sidewall mound. Approached from the left are blind and uphill, approaches from the far right will be clear.

Except for 3, you don’t get any break on the par-3s. Two are particularly long and all carry over scrub brush (the 8th, 180 yds. and 13th 208 yds.), another is all carry over water (the 15th, 150). Only the drop shot third, which plays to a green framed by four trees with an expansive view of the hills beyond provides a breather. Otherwise, the par-3s are “survive and advance.”

After the fifth, the long par-4 12th is the best hole on the course. 430 yards long, the downhill drive will reach one of several staggered landing areas. The hole then bends gently to the left and reveals a figure-eight green set on the edge of the hill over looking the vale of most of the rest of the back nine, and with the Northn Dakota hills beyond. It’s a singularly beautiful hole that requires your best drive and crispest fairway-metal or long iron to reach on regulation; a stout par-4, yet a charming one as well.

Engh gives you plenty of room off the tee to hit driver all day. The only exception might be the short, narrow par-4 16th. A fairway-metal or long iron will be played to an island of fairway between two brooks.

P.S...this reads like a possible headline from that comedy paper "The Onion..."

"Lunkhead Golf writer recommends North dakota for golf vacation..."

I also like "US to Canada:  trade you North Dakota for Hockey pucks."

Next up I guarantee a future email from Tim Hartnett, "Jay, Jim says he's on the first plane to La Guardia with his rusty tools and a blowtorch;);)"

Tyler Kearns

Re:Hawktree G.C, Bismarck, ND (Jim Engh)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:49:08 PM »
Jay,

Jim Engh must be commended for providing an excellent golf course which does not require a high green fee to survive. At $45, a real bargain.

You stated that Engh likes to end with par-5's to provide large possible swings in score, I do not think he pulled it off at Hawktree. At 588 yards, and uphill, it hardly provides the eagle/double bogey swings that No. 7 offers. (Even from the 513 yard set it seems a daunting task).

My real quibble with the golf course was the repeated theme of high tee locations. Not only does this ensure difficult green-to-tee walks, but the exhiliration of such a tee shot is diminshed through repetition. This scenario plays itself out at holes No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 12, 14, 16.

TK
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 07:50:21 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:58:45 PM »
Jay:

One of the more distubring tendencies I see with various Engh courses is the desire to provide containment mounding around a number of his green sites. This has a tendency to "democratize" the different types of shots played towards these targets rather than to serve as meaningful differentiators.

You also see him use a long par-3 which features a very narrow green section towards the rear. At Hawktree you see it with the first par-3 on the inner half -- at Lakota Canyon it's the 17th -- at Blackstone, I believe, it's the 13th (?).

You also mentioned his penchant for using the 5 par-3 and par-5 hole set-ups respectively. I think that's a good idea but there comes a point when such a situation needs to be more site specific rather than just redundancy for the sake of repetition.

Nonetheless, Hawktree does provide a major step-up for the state of public golf in the Northern Plains.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 03:05:49 PM »
Matt and Tyler:

Exactly.

You've hit on the few details that are fair criticism...well, excepting the containment mounding.  That's Jim's unique style and that's OK...it's kinda like a guitar manufacturer and the headstock - you can pretty much tell the luthier by looking at the shape of the headstock.  Its nice that Jim builds courses that only look like Jim, and yet have solid design strategies and that charge a fair price.

Plus he bats 100% on coming in on time and under budget.

Matt, he always wants one par-3 thats a driver or long wood because all the great courses of mthe UK have that...he brougth thaqt back with him as have many great designers.  I dont think 3 at Hawk and 17 at Lakota are similar at all.  One is very short, downhill (drop shot 3rd at Hawk) but 17 at Lakota is longer shot all carry over scrub.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 05:53:38 PM »
Jay:

You should never use the line "all the great courses of the UK have that" unless you want to be checked.

I started through my mental checklist of the great links to see how many have a par-3 which requires a wood from the tee.

St. Andrews Old Course -- nope
Royal Dornoch -- nope

Test over.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 07:22:41 PM »
TD- that is a good point.. I don't think I've ever hit more than a 3 iron on any par 3 unless the wind was really blowing on any links course in the UK..  Even the 14th at Deal which is 210 yards or so is usually a 5 woods tops into the breeze or a 3 iron..  

The only holes I've really used brassie on are the 13th at the Addington (obviously not a links) or the 6th at West Sussex (3 wood) and obviously heathland.

I would need RT or Paul Turner who I've played about 50 UK courses with to confirm but I don't really recall them ever pulling out 3 wood or driver on par 3s in any of our travels other than the above holes.  That said there are always holes I might have missed or wind conditions.

I do recall seeing Paul Turner put back his 3 wood on the 4th at Perranporth one day and pick up (gulp) a 1 iron--this was after Painswick and hit the prettiest draw I've ever seen to 1 inch and missing the ace!

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 07:34:50 PM »
I could be wrong, but didn't Mike Kaiser buy Hawktree a few years back?
H.P.S.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 10:24:55 AM »
Fine Tom..."a great many."

Can we go now?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:56:31 AM »
Jay:

Fair point -- but check out the actual green site shapes at the two long par-3's in question -- the one at Hawktree and at Lakota Canyon.

Engh followed that with one similar at Blackstone.

It just seems that architects sometimes throw back into equation a hole or design feature that has worked prevously.

Don't say that's bad -- but it's something that can be discussed as being noteworthy or appropriate.

By the way -- Hawktree, for me at least, is the best public course in North Dakota.

ForkaB

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 10:28:47 AM »
Fine Tom..."a great many."

Can we go now?

Jay

Make it "a very, very few" and you'll be closer to the mark.

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back