News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

PUBLIC long island golf
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:01:17 PM »
I'm pondering a NY/Long Island Golf weekend in June, and I was curious as to opinions of decent public courses me and a friend should go try.

Two caveats:  We may try the Black, but I know about that one, so cut that out of discussion.  Also, Montauk Downs is too far, as my buddy's place is in Manhattan.

I've heard about Tallgrass, Long Island National, and the Links at Shirly as ok candidates.  Opinions on those or any others?

The traffic getting out of Manhattan may kill us, but we are only bucking for one round a day for sat. and sun....

I'm open to suggestions slightly north or south/west of the city as well.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

George Pazin

Re:PUBLIC long island golf
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:34:44 PM »
Brad, the NYers aren't helping you out, so here's a link you might find helpful:

best post 1955 courses on long island

Hopefully others can add. I think redanman is a big fan of Tallgrass, maybe he'll add something.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:37:19 PM »
Eisenhower Red is a decent golf course with moderatley priced greens fees, The Champions Tour comes and plays an event in July. Its a short drive from the city. They also have two other courses the white and the blue, I have not played either in a few years but I have heard they are doing alot of good work on the White.
 Eastern Long Island on the North Fork has a few. Islands End golf course is good and there is also the Cherry Creek option.

There are also some good courses in Westchester. The Links at Union Vale is supposedly a good golf course, however I am not sure about the architecture. I have heard good things.

good luck

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:45:12 PM »
On The Island, I would stick with Tall Grass, LI National and The Red.

North of Westchester - Branton Woods, big broad course going private

North Jersey - Bergen Hills, classic small, tight interesting Ross that is actually Orrin Smith.

Central Jersey - Pine Barrens for a Pine Valley copycat.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:48:28 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 04:51:55 PM »
I'd add Ballyowen and Hominy Hill in NJ. Both are 1-1:10 from the city and usually ranked in the top 3 of NJ publics. Thinking that you are a very good player (based on your past posts), both have steely slopes and ratings from the tips.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:25:54 PM »
Brad:

If you are dead set on going to the Island here are a few thoughts ...

Oyster Bay Town Golf Course (very well done Tom Fazio layout on a former estate in the Town of Woodbury in Nassau County). Simply take LIE to the Oyster Bay / Seaford Expressway and head north until the end and follow into town. The course is crammed into roughly 100 acres but has plenty of fun and unique holes -- including a finale stretch that is really solid.

If you should venture just a bit further to the town of Middle Island you can play Spring Lake -- rarely mentioned even by denizens of the Island. Play the original 18 because it's a quality layout -- you can even play the added nine they have because it's also quite good. Spring Lake is roughly another 30 minutes beyond Oyster Bay.

You can skip LI National -- simply a hookey layout that was contrived from the get-go. A budget buster that's not worth the effort or drive.

If you need to play a layout at Bethpage -- besides the Black -- I would dare say a round at the Red would be worth your time.

One other note -- forgo the Links at Shirley -- flat as a pancake and utterly forgettable. I am also not a big time fan as others are of Tallgrass. It's a design that has its moments but not enough for me to warrant a return visit.

Eisenhower was mentioned and it's also worth considering.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 09:08:06 PM »
I'd play Lido over Tallgrass and or Links at Shirly without question.
Bethpage Red is a solid choice.
LI National doesn't really do it for me, no soul.

My suggestion would be leave Manhatten at 3a, get to Lido at 345a, hang in the parking lot until a line starts form, claim your rightful spot in line based on when your car was parked vs the other cars, and then tee off as the sun comes up . . .

Playing #1 into the soft glow of the rising sun is a hell of a way to start your day!
Lido is a lot of fun. Granted, some of the holes are pretty average, but some of them are really very good.

If you plan on taking my advice pls feel free to pm me and I'll put you in touch with a few people at the course who will look after you and make sure you enjoy yourself.

-Ted

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:43:04 PM »
Thanks for suggestions guys, now I have to pressure my buddy to pick a weekend...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Chris Munoz

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 09:01:28 AM »
How about the Hurdzan/Fry in Port Washington, Harbor Links Golf Course.  27 holes, 18 Hole Golf Course, then a 9 hole, challenging ex.course.  It was built at the old sand mines, which produced the majority of the skyscrapers in NYC.  

Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:23:13 AM »
Muni, thats a good call and looks quite neat.  I wonder if its been reviewed on here before?  Me thinks I'll do a search.  I'm always looking for good pubilc golf in the Metro NY area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back