News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Beaulieu

Oak Tree
« on: May 27, 2006, 07:54:22 PM »
Spent some time today watching the Senior PGA from Oak Tree. The course (at least on TV) doesn't seem to suit my eye and  looks like it would be very difficult for the average golfer. What is the general concensus about this Dye design?

BTW: This was the first golf I have been able to watch in hi-def since I got my new HDTV setup. I thought CBS broadcast all their golf in HD but they do not. Anyway, what a treat to view! It looks almost 3-D and the detail and colors are remarkable. I can't wait for the Open.

mike_beene

Re:Oak Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »
I like Oak Tree.It is difficult if not striking ball well,and I think it would be frustrating for average golfers.The greens are not as severe as the older courses.The ball is frequently above the right handers feet,and seldom below it.I cant think of another course with this much right to left bias.The first 5 holes of back nine have houses on both sides,but set back pretty well.When compared to the surrounding terrain it is unbelievable this course has so much movement.I was a clubhouse guest earlier this week and it is incredible the support the people are giving this tournament.

RT

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 10:26:16 AM »
Oak Tree Mens Club has a terrific routing based on three interthreading lakes, of which 8 holes are affected by their presence, and as Mike alluded there is a bias of right to left stances on holes 2,3,5,6,7 because the holes abutt the lakes (save 6 & 7 that have a creek line to their left).

If I understand well the greens have had a recontouring program performed on them last couple of years from the original ones which some were, to some degree or another, tweaked up to the '88 PGA from when the course opened in 1976.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 11:47:08 AM »
The greens were redone around 2001-2002, and the course was closed for a year. The results were what they've been talking about all week - reasonable greens, but more difficult green surrounds. The bunkers became deeper and narrower and there were more chipping areas.

I think Oak Tree has some really good holes and some not-as-good holes. Specifically, I think 1-7 are all quite good; 8-11 are not up to the same standard; 12-16 are excellent; and 17 is OK. I think #18 this week - which normally serves as #9 - is unappealing. A good test, yes, but just not a hole I ever liked playing.

Understandably, the best holes fall over the best land.

How hard is it? Uh, it's really hard. Not impossible but fairly close. Harder than the Stadium Course at PGA West for sure. Although, from y experiences at OU, I can assure you that it's much harder in the winter when the grass is dormant and it's 45 degrees with the wind blowing from the other direction!

RT

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 11:58:40 AM »
Thanks Matt for what they did on and around the greens vs the old greens I was "used to" ;)  Have they removed any of the 'tiers' on greens 6, 10, 16, 17?

Agree the more interesting holes lie on the better topo 1-7, 12-16.  Actually find 18th, which they switch and make into 9th, a pretty daunting uphill par-4 to a small target, and on some pretty good topo.

11 used to have originally an inverted fw bunker inside corner right of dog leg.

Wow, time flies..

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 03:09:58 PM by RT »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back