News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Claremont (Mackenzie ? ) c. Oakland
« on: May 26, 2006, 09:21:02 AM »
What are some of the nicest holes here. which  show the imprint/ideas of Mackenzie. ?

thanks

Tom Huckaby

Re:Claremont (Mackenzie ? ) c. Oakland
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 10:09:07 AM »
Mark - it is a pretty neat course.  You're gonna need the MacKenzie historians to tell you what's his and what's not though; my impression is that what's there now is a hodge-podge of many architects, as it's been tinkered with seemingly endlessly over the years.  But still what's there today is worth seeing - if only for the TWO sets of crossover holes - not something you see much here in the US.

TH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »
Mark:  It's not what I would call a great course but it is an interesting course on a very tough parcel of land which led to some unique routing ploys.  We have been rebuilding bunkers and greens on some holes to get them back closer to MacKenzie's version.

The best holes (to me) are the par-4 seventh which actually crosses both the fourth fairway (in front of its green) and the fifth tee shot (just in front of the tee), just past the landing area of the seventh; the drop shot par-3 8th across the street; the par-4 11th with a great green setting; the long par-3 13th; and the finishing par five.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 01:34:53 PM by Tom_Doak »

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 11:35:44 PM »
I played it several years ago and enjoyed the experience more for it's history.   It's a par 68 and 5500 yrds., short with narrow fairways and very small greens.  Not something I would want to play every day,  but fun if you're in the area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back