News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jay Flemma

Question about 3 at Bully Pulpit
« on: May 23, 2006, 10:19:11 PM »
Guys who have played Bully...what do you think of the third hole?  The sharp dogleg right where you drive into a meadow, then turn sharp right and hit to a green where the fwy is lined w/trees to a green on the edge of the river.  I'm of 2 minds.  Asthetically the approach is pleasing, but the drive and the almost 45 degree angle turn feel screwy?

Any thoughts?

Jim Johnson

Re:Question about 3 at Bully Pulpit
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:53:43 AM »
Jay,

Sounds like a 90-degree turn, no?

JJ

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 01:19:34 AM »
A very forgetable hole. It took me a while to remember the hole given the course diagram and your description. As I remember it now, it seems we spent all our time looking for lost balls in the landing area near the choke point of the hole. I don't know what the purpose of the bunkers on the outside are for other than the .0001% of the golfing population that can play the course from the tips.
After looking over the diagram, it is the weakest hole on the course other than 1. 1 beats it out since it is a nice hole to ease higher handicappers and stiff old farts into the course.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 01:21:45 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 01:23:05 AM »
Garland,

Is that "turn sharp right" a 90-degree? If so, sounds like perhaps there were some physical/site limitations on how the hole would fit within the routing.

JJ

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 01:31:37 AM »
Red, white, and blue tee boxes were on the extreme right hand side, thereby creating most of the angle themselves, because you will tend to hit away from the tree line immediately to your right. The black tee box was on the left hand side and the course diagram shows it playing almost straight from there. My recollection is that there is more of a right hand turn than shown in the course diagram though. #10 was a much more severe dogleg right with me misjudging and driving right straight off the far side of the dogleg.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 01:01:06 PM »
Jay:

I can finally say I agree with Garland here.

The bulk of nearly all of the first 13 holes you find at Bully Pulpit are simply ho-hum and more towards the pedestrian stuff than anything that sizzles from the design meter.

Until you get to the better land -- that comes towards the last third of the round there -- the totality of what you find at Bully Pulpit is more about overall sameness than anything strikes me as being unique and special.

The last six holes have all the bite one can want. Is that good enough to merit a special trip to Medora? That's quite another issue.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »
Yeah I gotta say besides a pretty green setting and nice framing, it's a silly designed hole.

All three in ND "are what they are"  great values, pretty and with good design...nothing earthshattering in the "architectural echo" side of things, but they pose good and interesting golf problems.  

They are cheap and walkable!  That's a plus.  I have no problem recommending people go there, but yeah, when I take my next golf vaca for pleasure not work, it'll be New Mexico.

Eddie Peck, wherever you are, I raise my glass to your very good health.

You too, Baxter.  Meow meow meow meow!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 12:15:20 PM »
Jay:

Be curious to your thoughts on the par-3 15th hole at Bully Pulpit.

I thoroughly loved the hole and see it as one of the best short par-3 holes you can find for any public course in the States.

How do you view it and is the hole playable for the masses if handled from the appropriate tee boxes?

Thanks ...

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 01:31:57 PM »
I liked everything about it except the astroturf mat which constitutes the ladires' tee.

I got up and down from THE BUNKER!  THat's saying something (40' below.)  That bunker might have been built by Mike Strantz, it was so far below the level of the green!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back