News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Hissey

Re:Sebonack
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 10:46:08 PM »
I can tell you this.

The course is very challenging from the back tees and when the weather is less than perfect it will be a very difficult course to play.

From the members tees, it is very enjoyable. Challenging and with an endless variety of shots.

The condition so far is quite incredible. Garret Bodington and his wonderful crew have done an incredible job in a very short time.

It is tough to lose balls out there. It is possible to get into very tough spots but you know exactly where you need to go. You just have to figure out the best way to get home.

Jack seemed to love it out there, and I know Jim and Jim did also. It was hard as can be for them, but Jack showed why he is the best there will ever be. Jim Lipe did well, but finally succumbed to my endless ribbing by the 16th hole and fell apart (relatively speaking).

The true test is this. We all smiling and in a great mood when we walked off the course. We loved it (and I didn't hit a ball all day). Jim Urbina and Jim Lipe should feel proud of what they did also, not to mention Jack and Tom applying their genius to make all of this happen.

The players this weekend were just over the moon. They couldn't come up with enough superlatives to describe it, and the truth is that it still looks very much like a construction site in places.

To compare Sebonack to National or Shinnecock is premature and a bit presumptuous. We've all given it the best effort we could and have tried our best to pay attention to every detail we possibly could. Time will tell whether we did a good job or not.

The individuals who worked on this were all amazing. Obviously, Jack and Tom for a start. Jim Urbina and Jim Lipe who led the troops. The unstoppable Chris Rule who everyone will hear of some day. Toby Cobb, our cowboy drainage guru. Brilliant bunker guys Tony Russell and Chris Hunt. Brian Schneider, Brian Slawnik, and Eric Iverson from RGD. George, Will and Patrick also from RGD who worked like dogs in all kinds of weather.

We all tried our best. At the beginning, Garret Bodington coined the phrase "check your egos at the gate". Everybody did and hopefully we got a good result.

Brad Klein

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 04:18:27 AM »
Mark, sounds like a great story in the making. Someone ought to write a book about Sebonack and make a full record of all of this.

Gene Greco

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 07:28:32 AM »
Brad,

Whom did you have in mind to write said book? ;)
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

rgkeller

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 08:23:53 AM »

Jack shot even par from the back tees.  He took a couple of mulligans

Well, then Jack did not shoot even par.

John Kirk

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 10:15:13 AM »
Mark,

Congratulations.  It must be particularly satisfying to have the players (members) "falling all over themselves" with praise.

I have a question.  How many uphill approach shots does the course feature?  Both Ballyneal and Sand Hills feature quite a few, 9 or 10 each.  Stone Eagle has about the same number.

JWL

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 11:06:35 AM »

rgkeller
In the real world of counting all your strokes and posting what you shot, you are correct that Jack didn't shoot even par.
That day of golf was not about counting your score, but just enjoying the shots, and perhaps hitting more than one shot to play the hole a "different" way.   It was just an exercise in learning the course.
I only stated that Jack shot even par to give an idea of how he played, which I thought was outstanding, since I know he hadn't touched a club in the 3 weeks prior.
Also, I did say that the two times he hit mulligans, he bogied the holes.   What I was trying to say was that even if he played his original ball he wouldn't have made worse than bogey anyway.

John Kirk
I counted 9 uphill shots.

Mark Hissey
You were a great host, as always.

ed_getka

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 02:09:50 PM »
Brad,
   No need to worry about their club history. When I toured there last fall there were so many interesting stories, and when I said someone should be writing these down for the future, I was told they are already on it.

Sounds like a great day was had by all, as it is easy to imagine they would on that wonderful site. How did #11 play? I had goosebumps the first time I walked down that hole.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

rgkeller

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 02:15:10 PM »
>>In the real world of counting all your strokes and posting what you shot, you are correct that Jack didn't shoot even par.<<

Well, given that Sebonack has nothing to do with the real world, I suppose JN gets a pass.

Given the price of the memberships, perhaps two mulligans a round is included.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:15:43 PM by rgkeller »

Mark Hissey

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »
Mark, sounds like a great story in the making. Someone ought to write a book about Sebonack and make a full record of all of this.

Good idea Brad. Do you have a recommendation for me?  ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 07:20:44 PM »
Mark,
I agree with you. Chris Rule is going to be a name people will learn about in the future. A guy who seemed to really want to get out there and get dirty!

Brad Klein

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »
Mark, I have someone in mind, but I doubt you can afford him.

Gene Greco

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 06:09:54 PM »

I surmise they can afford him. Furthermore, I bet they can even afford you, Brad.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

PThomas

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 06:17:48 PM »

I surmise they can afford him. Furthermore, I bet they can even afford you, Brad.

all I can say is I am cheap AND easy...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006, 08:30:37 PM »
Would it be safe to say that Sebonack is more like Friars Head than NGLA or Shinnecock?  Has to be???  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2006, 12:23:48 AM »
Joel:

I really don't feel that Sebonack is very much like Friars Head, either.  Both of them are sandy off the fairways to the trees, so to that degree, yes.

redanman

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2006, 10:21:37 AM »
I for one certainly hope that the course is an entity unto itself, unlike any others because

SH, NGLA, FH, Maidstone, Bridge and Atlantic all are already unique entities.

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2006, 11:49:05 AM »
I for one certainly hope that the course is an entity unto itself...snip...

It is.

Come to think of it, it is amazing, since it's so close to SH and NGLA.

The vegetation and the sandy soil are very PV-like. The holes have the Doak look and (I am sure) many Nicklaus' strategic contributions.

Strange and beautiful bird, indeed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back