News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Lee Puckett

So you win $50 mil in the Mega Millions...
« on: June 01, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
Besides the statement:  "Honey I'm off to build the greatest golf course ever, can I get you anything while I'm out?"

What are the first five things that you do???

JWK

PThomas

Re:So you win $50 mil in the Mega Millions...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 04:38:32 PM »
make sure I can easily fly to the course
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 04:49:55 PM »
Hire an accountant
hire an attorney
buy a four wheeler
buy a new pair of Caterpiller steel toed work boots
maybe buy some equipment???

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Steve Curry

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 05:00:23 PM »
James,

Assuming a take home of 50 mil,

1) Give 1 million to 40 friends and family,

2) Buy the right spot, may be an existing course or NLE

3) Cut down out of place trees

4) Buy an excavator and a dozer

5) Build or restore a great, fun course

Invite my forty best friends and family over to golf and have a good time.

Steve

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 05:03:44 PM »
Steve has the right idea, buy an existing course with a great location and build something special.      A course in Northern California just sold for $9 million, 15 years after a Japanese investor paid $50 million.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 05:05:51 PM »
1. Fund the Carthage Club

2. Join Stone Eagle, Sebonack, Ballyneal, Friars Head, Old Sandwhich, Boston Golf Club, and Riviera.

3. Set up a production company in LA and finance upstart movies.  Involve myself heavily in the casting process for said films.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 05:07:34 PM »
1. Go to a 3 day work week

2.Play in 25 /30 events a year, of which two would be the Australian and South African amteurs.

3. Place Randy Smith on permanent reatiner, so that I could see him every week..if only to shoot the bull.

4.Make a donation to my home course so that we could restore our greens to the original Langford/Moreau complexes

5. Make every effort to play the courses I really want to play, irrespective of any so called "official" rankings list.

If I can have another golf related extravagence...try to join Merion.

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 05:10:40 PM »
I wouldn't build a course ...

Realistically, I only have 15 years of good golfing left.  There are plenty of courses I have left to see while I still have some ability to golf the ball.   Join the ones that I want to and can get to ...

I'd also start tuning up for my ill fated attempt at the Seniors Tour ;)  (I mean, after KP, what other challenges are there?)

"... and I liked the guy ..."

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 05:29:10 PM »
It's funny, I actually thought about this fleetingly earlier in the week, but I can't share my decision then or Kevin Edwards will come on and blast me for being a suck up. :)

I'll give my alternate response:

I'd definitely build my own, but I'd take a few years and:

- see if I could caddy at a few of the top ranked courses to learn;

and

- see if I could intern with a few archies to learn.

I figure in a few years I ought to be able to build something equivalent to a 2 on the Doak Scale....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 05:29:34 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Gene Greco

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 07:07:13 PM »
I figure in a few years I ought to be able to build something equivalent to a 2 on the Doak Scale....

For 90% of us who post on this board, including myself, this is the God-awful truth!
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 07:21:43 PM »
I like the Hollywood idea Steve.

redanman

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 07:31:14 PM »
Get cloned so I can have a new back.

Then I'd probably just buy Blue Heron Pines East and change the 18th a little.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 07:42:52 PM »

3. Set up a production company in LA and finance upstart movies.  Involve myself heavily in the casting process for said films.

I like the way this man thinks!

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 07:54:42 PM »
pick out a couple of trophy wives ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_Roths

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 07:58:57 PM »
I wonder if Jaime Lynn Sigler plays golf?

:)

Brock Peyer

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 09:32:35 PM »
My first response was similar to most, yeah, I would buy a ton of land with sandy soil and do my ode to Ross and the good Doctor.  

I thought about it a second, why not start a quality golf course archie program with emphasis on the classics at a quality school and do something hopefully good for the game down the road.

In the meantime you could spend your time playing anywhere your cash can get you on and not be tied to your own place.  I guess you could play wherever you could pay your way on either way but it's a thought.

Oh heck, with $50mil, you can do about anything.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:27:50 PM »
1.  Try to form a 501 c 3 to cash in ticket and avoid as much taxation as possible.
2.  pay taxes.
3.  Call R.J Daley and ask if he'd be interested in being the membership liaison for my new club.
4.  Go down the short list of land.
5.  Call Dave Herman and Jim Zabel
Jim Thompson

Troy Alderson

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 10:33:29 PM »
Move to Bandon, work part time mowing fairways, play golf the rest of the day, take an annual trip to Scotland and Ireland.

Troy

JESII

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 10:35:32 PM »
Troy,

Not bad, as long as that annual trip last 6 - 9 months. ;D

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 10:59:15 PM »

Not sure it would change my life one bit.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 12:54:42 AM »
3.  Call R.J Daley and ask if he'd be interested in being the membership liaison for my new club.

huh?  Jimbo, I'll do that for the price of a ham sandwich!  :o ::)  What will you do with the other 49.999,999?  When I finally get over there, I'll bring us a pocket full of tickets for that week's drawing and we'll split'em.  

Oh BTW, to answer the question, I'd probably give up my life of indolence, golf all the time, and hanging around in cyberspace writing on GCA.com nearly everyday, and get busy doing something... since $50mil is pretty much enough to actually allow you to do "something"... even if you pay the taxes. ::) ;D 8)

PS:  Oh yeah, I'd also tell the health insurance industry to kiss my Irish Italian ass... and I'll pay my own friggin way. :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:57:46 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 09:32:32 AM »
Steve Roth -

The answer is yes, she's a player.  We enjoyed having her at Woodway while still with Mr. DiScala.

Brock, I like the idea of a tribute to Ross & the Dr.  In that line of thought, didn't they live on the courses that they loved?  Ross - Essex County & Pinehurst/MacKenzie - Pasatiempo.  Why not buy enough land for the students to rough out holes and keep the great ones?

From my thinking:

#1 - Disconnect all phones.  Get new secret #'s.
#2 - Accountant/Attorney/Financial Services.
#3 - Scotland & Ireland until I got tired of the food/Australia & New Zealand until I got tired of drinking.  "Honey, I'm going out to play golf.  When will I be back?  When the U.S. Open returns to your childhood home of Bethpage/Farmingdale.
#4 - While doing #3, have a short list of architects who would be free to come to me with the land/project that they want built.
#5 - Hire Steve Roth as my full time agent - the man has brains!

Tim Taylor

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 10:15:48 AM »
I like the way Redanman thinks. I'd look to buy some property - maybe in the Blue Mountains around Lexington, VA. I saw a 208 acre plot along the Maury river for a little over $1M recently. No idea if it's zoned for golf or what the environmental issues would be but it sure looked pretty.

Then I'd hire Mr. Smyers. I have thoroughly enjoyed all his courses that I've played. Still trying to figure out a way to play Four Streams in Maryland!

Tim

Get cloned so I can have a new back.

Then I'd probably just buy Blue Heron Pines East and change the 18th a little.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »
Assuming that's after tax:

1) get a good lawyer, accountant, and financial advisor
2) set up educational trusts for the entire next generation of my family
3) depending on tax laws at the time, set up generation skipping trusts for children
4) Set up the balance for lifetime income, drawing about 4% per year
5) establish charitable giving program, maxing out annual charitable gifting deductions, and consider additional charitable gifts or lead trusts
6) buy a big life inusrance policy using annual gift exclusion
7) start investment fund to buy/renovate/operate affordable public golf courses in the under $75.00 market.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back