News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Noel Freeman

Homespun Wisdom- Jackie Burke Jr's new book
« on: May 24, 2006, 11:51:09 AM »
Picked up Jackie Burke Jr's book "It's just a game" the other day and think it is one of the best book's I've ever read on golf..  Plain, simple, direct and full of wisdom.. I've not met Mr. Burke directly but seen and overheard him in action down at Doral at Jim Mclean's golf school and was riveted by what he had to say.  Some highlights in the book:

On Golf courses:

Take the kind of courses we're building. Everybody wants to build the kind of course they see on TV. They see these courses in absolute peak condition, and they want a course just like them. They want to feel -- want to say -- that the club they belong to is better than the one down the street. They go logo-crazy; they want to wear a logo that says, "Our architect is better than your architect." So they build courses that cost an absolute fortune. They don't just design 18 holes, plant some grass and build some greens. They move tons of dirt, get a million people involved, from the government to engineers to the bulldozer operator to the environment people to the watering-system people.

It costs money, man, and somebody has to pay for it.

Once they get the thing built they have to run it and that's expensive, too. There are a lot of hidden costs, things like labor costs, insurance, government taxes, property taxes. At Champions we have taxes on our guests that play. Just to register out here, play golf and have a drink, they are taxed. The deal is, if golf takes up a large piece of a community, the community says, "We're going to tax you because you have this priveleged group here, and they make more money than we do and we need taxes for our school districts." Of course, nobody at the golf course goes to the school, but the poor golf course gets taxed out of existence because of the school district and God knows what else.

Also:

First of all, there are too may golf courses that are forced into the landscape. Moving all that earth to a place that wasn't meant to house a golf course is like trying to force a golf swing. You just can't do it, it doesn't work. I think a golf course should be set naturally on land wherever you find it, the way you find it. It doesn't have to be some architectual masterpiece. It almost has to be siutated in an area where it looks like a course should be.

I'd also avoid having condominiums lining my golf course. There are too many people watching golf from their patios. I hate the sound of moving machines around all these lots on golf courses. If I could, I'd put the nearest house three miles from the golf course. On a lot of these courses the homeowners feel they are more priveleged than the other members of the club. They feel they should be able to ride out on a golf cart and play whenever they want to. They've created an air of privilege that really isn't there.

There should be fewer buildings on the golf course, too. If you get away from buildings, you get away from insurance, you get away from a lot of employees, carpet problems, you name it. It used to be so simple. Now the game is a wagone and it's pulling an unbelievable number of things. The game pulls Trevino, Nicklaus, architects, Toros, Worthingtons, it's pulling everything.

On Golf Carts:

Yeah, and it's unfortunate that people have to take this pressure to the golf course. It's like we're running to catch a bus. Everybody feels rushed. It's one thing I don't like about golf carts. There's so much emphasis on fast play. You look behind you and there are golf carts waiting. It makes you feel rushed. Everybody wonders how fast they're playing, not how well they're playing. It's like they want to get it over with as fast as they can.

At Champions, anybody can walk when he wants to. Another bad thing about carts is that they've made caddies disappear from the game. It comes down to money, of course. The golf course used to be such a great environment for kids. You could grow up caddieing, spend some time around adults and gradually grow into the game. I knew kids who were caddies and later went on to college and eventually worked for the guy they caddied for. It was a great relationship. Kids aren't allowed in the golf shop now. The owners are afraid they'll spill a Coke on the carpet. no one has time for them. It's too bad.

I could go on but the book really is a great purchase... His talks also about the perks for players in the Ryder Cup and you'll see how corporate the venture is and how opulent too. Also he rails a bit on the 1st tee not for its ethos but for how it is run..

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 11:51:51 AM by NAF »

Glenn Spencer

Re:Homespun Wisdom- Jackie Burke Jr's new book
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:10:33 PM »
I am total agreement with Mr. Burke about fast play. I am always left wondering what the hurry is. I remember when the NFL went to a running clock when the guy was pushed out of bounds until the last 5 minutes of the game or 2 of the have. I always have wanted to know who the people were that wanted to get the game over with quicker. I wouldn't think it was the people paying all that cash for a ticket. The caddie point is a good one as well, there are a lot of good things that can happen to a young kid that hangs around a golf club in his early days.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 12:29:10 PM »
A few things in the excerpt catch my eye -

Its funny that he is against the real estate course, given Champions is a real estate course, and he must have known that surrounding housing is necessary to make it feasible.  And he must know that in areas where land cost is more expensive than when he built Champions pretty far out of Houston, higher density condos might be necessary.

Ditto with golf carts, clubhouse and employees.  Obviously, he sounds a bit disenchanted by the difficulty of running a club day to day.  Perhaps he is just pining for the simplicity of just being a member, rather than owner? Notice he says you can walk Champions - he doesn't say walking is part of the culture there.  It is a walkable course, but in 100 degree heat, and Houston's 90% humidity, I doubt many walk in the summer.

Also, while one upmanship is always a part of the game, I guess I wonder if statistically, the hundreds of courses built each year, how many fit that profile?   66% of courses built in the last decade were public courses, and the ones I designed certainly weren't extravgant.  Yes, in their target market they hoped to build something better than the previous guy - because in business its the mantra of "build a better mousetrap" to beat the competition.  Its just that I didnt' ever see the champagne budgets when catering to Joe Six Pack.

I guess when you reach a certain age, your idea of what things should cost sort of plateau to when you were in your prime....very human tendency.  I find myself getting closer to that every day......

And hey, he doesn't like taxes and thinks someone else should pay them!  What shock!

The book may be worth it, but from the excerpts, it sounds like the guy just got a stage to vent typical, but unrealistic opinions....

Let the discussions begin....and they can start with "jeff, you ignorant sl_ _..... ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 01:34:43 PM »
First, I want to know where Burke is playing where they play fast.  In the last five years I can count on one hand the number of times I have felt even slightly rushed and I bet all of those were when another group was letting me play through.  I have played a lot of places and the only time this happens is on one of the local muni courses.  Never at a private club, let alone one like Champions.  

Now if he thinks that people might expect him to play "ready" golf and he doesn't want to, then I guess he might have a complaint.  But some of us don't like to play five hour rounds.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 07:23:42 PM »
... Of course, nobody at the golf course goes to the school, but the poor golf course gets taxed out of existence because of the school district and God knows what else.
I guess homespun wisdom says that those going to school should pay the taxes that support the school.
Sometimes homespun wisdom is mostly of the former and little of the latter.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back