News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lawrence Largent

I Just returned Sunday night from my golf trip up to the Philly area. I just wanted to let everyone know I'll try and post pics of the courses we played in the area and my thoughts. Our trip included this

Wed.  Elkridge Club Seth Raynor
Thurs. 36 holes East Course Merion
Fri. Aronimink Morning Rolling Green Afternoon
Sat. Atlantic City Country Club afternoon Plainfield
Sun. Burning Tree Club

mike_malone

Lawrence,

I kept calling you , Sam , and Martin "good ole boys". But upon reflection , I believe "Southern Gentlemen" is more appropriate. Our Asst. Pro Will doubted that you could go to Atlantic City and get up the next day to play two courses. Congratulations on achieving that.
AKA Mayday

Lawrence Largent

Mr. Malone,

I'm a +1.7 at the moment and for the most part played to it except for Merion where I think I was more worried about taking pictures than my game. I'll list my scores along with the ratings for the course. We played the tips at all the courses we played.

Elkridge Club 71.1 126 - 72
Merion 73.6 142 - 1st round  84 2nd round 84
Aronimink 75.2  128 - 73
Rolling Green 72.8 136 - 75
Atlantic City CC 72.0  128 - 73
Plainfield 74.2  140 - 76
Burning Tree 70.0  122 - 69

mike_malone

Lawrence,

If you call me Mr. Malone one more time I'm gonna kill you! ;D
AKA Mayday

Lawrence Largent

I'm not a rater and considering the courses we played on this trip I'm not sure if i could even compare them to one another. I expected that Merion would be unlike anything I've ever seen and I was correct. Thats what made me want to play Merion so much. I do hope to write my opinion about the courses in the next few days when I have the time.

Lawrence

redanman

Aronimink 75.2  128 - 73

Plainfield 74.2  140 - 76

Lawrence:
As an obviously skilled player

How about your take comparing and contrasting these two Ross Courses and the visuals and playability and all that jazz of the courses and if you could see any of the "efforts of the  restorations"?

Your opinion of

routings

par 3's vs par 3's , 4,  5

Effect of visuals on your ability to make and stick to a playing decision

Weak holes, strong holes, comparing holes from course to course

And lastly (seriously) your overall experience, how much you enjoyed them, which you'd walk back to or run back to or Pat Mucci (That's when you walk form #18 green right over to #1 tee again.

Thanks

BV

p.s.  The first 84 at Merion can be explained by the photo taking, what about the second? :)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 08:34:39 AM by BillV aka redanman® »

Dan Boerger

Lawrence - That's quite a lineup. Coincidently, I played Aronimink the afternoon of the morning you played.  Since you're obviously an exceptional golfer, I'll be curious as to your thoughts how Merion could hold up to the big guns. - Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

wsmorrison

That's a very interesting lineup of courses you played on your first pilgrimage to Philadelphia.  I hope you enjoyed the golf, cheesesteaks, beers, etc.  I'm very much looking forward to your comments on each of the courses.

Now, next time you come to town, and I hope it is not to long before you return, I would suggest:

Merion West
Huntingdon Valley
Lehigh
Lancaster
LuLu
Manufacturers
Philadelphia Country Club
Philadelphia Cricket Club
White Manor
Gulph Mills
etc, etc, etc.  

Now for the cheesteak tour:

Jim's Steaks  62nd and Haverford
Delassandro's across from Walnut Lane GC
Mama's  Belmont Avenue
Tony Luke's near the stadiums
Geno's and Pat's  touristy and not so good
Merion's patio--very nice cheesesteak and can't beat the location  ;)

Jim Franklin

What did you think of Elkridge?
Mr Hurricane

Jim Franklin

And next time Baltimore Country Club would be a better choice in this area.
Mr Hurricane

Jason Mandel

Now for the cheesteak tour:

Jim's Steaks  62nd and Haverford
Delassandro's across from Walnut Lane GC
Mama's  Belmont Avenue
Tony Luke's near the stadiums
Geno's and Pat's  touristy and not so good
Merion's patio--very nice cheesesteak and can't beat the location  ;)

Wayne, your a very smart guy but I can't support Mama's in Belmont, which coincidentally is about a 1/4 mile from my office.  I know its love it or hate it, but I hate it!  WAYYYYY too much cheeese!  I never feel anything but sick after I leave there.  And g-d forbid you should ask the owner Paul to go lite on the cheese, he may just throw you out right there!

I'm a Dalesandro's guy but more often than not I've been going to Chubby's across the street, excellent chicken cheesesteak.

Tony Luke's has perhaps the best sandwich in the entire city, with their homemade chicken cutlets italiano...

The best cheesesteak I've had a at a golf course, and we do make a decent one at WM, was on the patio at North Hills, where they even made em with wiz, now, thats dedication.

Jason

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

wsmorrison

Here's my trick for Mama's.  I cannot eat a whole one anymore and have grown to feel there's too much cheese as well.  I get a plain steak (with fried onions) and ask for a couple of slices of cheese--your choice although not their blend of shredded cheeses.  It is A LOT better that way!

If you are feeling adventurous, go to the original Jim's on 62nd street.  They are much different than the ones on South Street.  My favorite (and my kids') by far!

Jason Mandel

Wayne,

That is one hell of a trick!  Does he get offended when you do that?  I would rather do that than get his blend of cheeses, which i think is just way over the top.  I'll have to try Jims on 62nd street, I've only had the south street and delaware county locations...

mike_malone

Wayne and Jason,

It's time to start eating grilled chicken wraps with lots of veggies. Start now ! I care ;D
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

Jason,

I've been going to Mama's for almost 20 years now.  I came up with the idea because those 10 pound sandwiches were just too much for me (so says my wife).  Paul knew exactly what I was up to from the get go, but he's fine about it.  He makes so many sandwiches a day there, any deviation will upset his rhythm.  Who am I to do that?

We'll play some golf and go get a cheesesteak at the original Jim's (I think it opened in 1939).  You'll thank me for it I am certain.  It bears little resemblance to that pretender at 4th and South  8) or Delaware County.  Ugh  :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 08:48:27 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Jason Mandel

Wayne and Jason,

It's time to start eating grilled chicken wraps with lots of veggies. Start now ! I care ;D

Mayday, believe it or not thats exactly what i had for lunch today ;D

Believe it or not, I'm down close to 25 pounds since janruary!  
I still go to chubbys every once in a while, but its a chicken cheesesteak wrap ;)

Wayne,

I will break my diet for a good cheesesteak :)

Steve_ Shaffer

Jason & Wayne:

A cheesesteak "sleeper" is Pudge's on 202  in   Blue Bell.

Steve -who is a D'Allessandro's  guy from way back.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:03:23 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

wsmorrison

Steve,

I know Pudge's!  I remember Pudge's when he was on Germantown Pike when he also served the best pizzas around.  That was 35 years ago.  Now he's on 202 and just serves cheesesteaks.  But you're right, they are great.  What's the Pudge sandwich again?  They make a steak with fried salami, hmmmm good!

Mike,

You can take that boring wrap---not for me!  Besides you literally eat that every day, and you're trying to be a connoisseur guide?  Its almost as bad as you being a golf architecture guru   ;D

Sorry for the culinary sidetrack.  I'm looking forward to Lawrence's insights into the courses he played, especially those on his first trip for Philadelphia golf.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 02:29:13 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Martin Gott

mike_malone

Martin,
    One picture shows up; it looks like typical Aronimink.
AKA Mayday

Jerry Kluger

you guys need a trip to North Jersey to Jimmy Buff's for an italian hot dog - if you're arteries aren't shut by the time you leave, you will no doubt live to 100.

John Gosselin

Martin,
    One picture shows up; it looks like typical Aronimink.

Looks like Seth to me. Is that Elkridge?
Great golf course architects, like great poets, are born, note made.
Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer 1922

wsmorrison

John,

I think Mike Malone discovered a Donald Ross Biarritz at Aronimink.  I must have missed it!  Either that or when Raynor was travelling through Philadelphia he must have stopped to redesign Aronimink putting in the Biarritz and getting rid of the Ross bunkers that were in the plans.  Raynor had to be the one that made the multiple sets of bunkers that was wrongly attributed to McGovern.  It's all becoming much clearer  8)

Jerry,

What is an Italian hot dog?  Is it like hot Italian sausage?  Grilled hot Italian sausage with peppers and onions....glad Memorial Day is here.  The BBQ is out and ready to go!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 02:45:44 PM by Wayne Morrison »

mike_malone

Excuse me! I was mesmerized by the evergreens!
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

Thanks to John and his staff the evergreens at Aronimink have been raised.  It opened up great views and allows more recoveries.  From everything John showed us and from the word from the membership, it is clear he's doing a terrific job!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back