News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

The Perfect Client
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:16:12 PM »
Seems like there is always talk of the perfect piece of land and how that is the element necessary for the perfect course etc.
But it seems to me after a few years doing this that the client is the element that is the most significant in how good the course becomes.

Architects never know where the next client is hiding..yet once they find him the entire golf industry knows who and where to call..but the architect must dig them out.

Clients can be golfers, developers that have never played golf or any number of things yet they hold the key.

And in most cases they have no idea what they want.  Some clients are so misinformed that they can be swayed by literature or type.  We lost a course in another country about a month ago because the client felt the other architect was the “most famous in the US” and had had many PGA events on his courses.  The client did not realize the PGA events were local or state level events and not PGA Championships.  Most of you would not know the person.  

When it comes to development many “clients” are represented by a 35 to 40 year old management person that feels the need for the “signature” and that is ok. Except for the fact that after hours you may hear this person speaking as though he and “signature by first name basis” were best buddies and he was out “playing “ with "signature” etc.  If you are a "signature" these are the easy sells and they rub the heads of these guys daily.....don't blame them.

Then every so often you get the client that really wants to make a go of the product he wants you to design.

SO ..TELL ME THE PERFECT CLIENT…
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

George Pazin

Re:The Perfect Client
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:21:51 PM »
I would think the perfect client cares not a lick about money or ratings, just about getting the best course possible for the buck.

For me, the perfect client has 100,000 t shirts that need a one color front and don't need 'em till the end of June, money no object .... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 09:13:56 PM »
Mike, Could the spectrum be any bigger than a client who knows nothing, and gives you free reign to design what you think will be best. To the client who thinks he knows something, and insists on many little aspects that you know in your heart will not work?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:16:10 PM »
Adam,

Is the perfect client one who hates OB?
 ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:12:23 PM »
One thing I have noticed about our best clients is that they are always looking across the fence, trying to decide if the land next door is worth acquiring, either for golf holes or just to protect the golf course from adjacent development.

Mike:  David Postlethwait taught me that the three major pieces of a golf course project were the land, the owner, and the money.  If two of the three are golden you can usually work around the third, but I would agree that a bad client would be the hardest element to work around.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 11:23:47 PM »
I think this a good question. While not knowing any better, I would think someone that gives me the specs of the course that they want-ie. Winged Foot members, and then gets the hell out of the way, I don't think I would mind a few suggestions, but then again I am not an architect, so I wouldn't know how annoying they can be.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 11:27:19 PM »
Glenn:  The problem with a client who "stays out of the way" is whether he will stay out of the way for the rest of the course's life, or if he will mess around with it afterward because he doesn't feel part of its design.

I would rather keep a client engaged in the project so he feels like it's really his, then he'll defend it til death.

Also, you fail to understand what a high percentage of clients on good projects are developing the course not because of a need, but because it's something they've always wanted to do.  Trying to keep them away from the process would undermine their very reason for building it.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 11:35:13 PM »
I my experience in Canada, the best courses seem to be developed by owners who have a very precise and clear vision of what they want. Often these people know something about golf, are occasionally good players, and have a specific sense of what they want their course and club to be. One may not always agree with the end result, but I think they are owed a certain respect for knowing what they want. On the other hand, there are plenty of owners that haven't a clue about golf courses other than the fact their other rich friends have one and they need one too. I think these owners are easily swayed and influenced by those around them to create mediocrity.

As for which makes the better owner -- I suppose that depends on whether the architect prefers someone who knows the sport and the business, or someone who just wants to "build a nice course." The first will get in the way occasionally, but their focus and determination to build their vision is certainly the stronger in the long run.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 11:49:14 PM »
Tom,

Like I said, I really don't know any better. ;D  I did not think about the future of the course and that was my oversight. I absolutely would want the owner to defend my work if that came to pass. The question asked for the perfect client and I answered selfishly, wanting to build my course, I was not thinking of the actual reprecussions of not getting his opinion, I guess I took it too hypothetically.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 08:14:25 AM »
As TD says if the land , owner and the money are "golden" then you may have the perfect situation.  But IMHO they have to balance.   Presently we have one with great land, money and he has decided he needs his name on it as the co-designer as well.  What can you say????  You just go with it.  
So I think the perfect client needs the money but the foresight to spend it appropriately, knowledge of golf as a game and where it came from, hopefully understanding of competitive golf and definitely non pretentious in his actions and style....

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 09:16:58 AM »
The perfect client finds a terrific piece of land, gives you a clear vision of what he wants and then inspires you to do your best work.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 01:31:48 PM »
If you need the inspiration then you are not the perfect architect.

Mike:  I hadn't heard you were working for Mr. Trump!

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 04:50:59 PM »
If you need the inspiration then you are not the perfect architect.

Mike:  I hadn't heard you were working for Mr. Trump!
don't think i could do that

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back