News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Superintendents vs. the Members
« on: November 07, 2002, 12:11:54 PM »
I am wondering if anyone is aware of a golf club/course where the superintendent communicates directly to the membership on a regular basis regarding the condition, procedures & maintenance of the course. If so, how is it done? Does he write a column monthly or quarterly in the club's newsletter? Do the members appreciate knowing what is going on?
It seems to me that most golfers (me included) know very little about the "black art" of maintaining a golf course- when to spray, what to spray, when to aerate, top dress, roll, etc.  
Natually, most members are very sensitive to the condition of their course and are upset when conditions are less than perfect. Rather than having a lot of members muttering among themselves about the problems with the course without knowing what is causing the problems, it might be productive for the superintendent to keep the members informed as to what is causing the problems and how he is trying to solve them. Obviously, the super meets with the greens committee regularly at almost every club, but I am interested in situations where that information is communicated directly to the membership on a regular basis.        
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike_Sweeney

Re: Superintendents vs. the Members
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 12:31:48 PM »
www.victorianational.com , they have a bi-monthly newsletter to the members, and one of the articles is from the Super to the membership on recent events, things to expect ....

Rich Goodale (Guest)

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 12:32:09 PM »
Over here in Scotland, the "superintendent" (greenkeeper) is usually a member him (or her) self of the club.  It facilitates communication remarkably when you are able to share a beer or three with the super in the clubhouse bar after a big competition, or just at the end of a long lovely summer day......

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 01:08:32 PM »
At Pumpkin Ridge, the superintendent, Bill Webster writes a column for the monthly newsletter.  I think that members do appreciate it.  He keeps us informed on what his plans are for the month, where the crew will be focusing etc and also has tips on how to take care of your lawn.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 01:31:00 PM »
At my prior club, we used a monthly newsletter as well.  Another option is to have a daily conditions section on the website.  For ease of use it is set so that the superintendent only has to plug in a code from a list of conditions.  Additionally, he's able to update regarding any special conditions or events.

Here's the link http://www.golfdowningtown.com  You can see that it's been a pretty tough year at Downingtown CC.  

It doesn't completely save you from the muttering, but it is very helpful.  
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2002, 01:50:44 PM »
We have our superintendent put an article in the monthly newsletter.  He discusses seasonal maintenance, upcoming projects and might mention any out of the ordinary problems he may be facing.  He has also taken some time to write short bios on his long term staff members which I thought was a nice touch.

In addition to these articles we sometimes post "Greenswords" which are descriptions of emergency issues, or new policies.  These are placed on club bulletin boards as needed.  

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2002, 04:00:02 PM »
At Hamilton Farms, Paul Ramila (sp?) our super (ex of Riveria) addresses each fireside chat with the members, writes a column in the magazine and generally makes himself available for in-depth discussions with members near anytime.

He is very patient and a wonderfully experienced keeper of the turf. I think your question is a terrific one and should translate into more members asking more of their super's.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2002, 07:56:59 PM »
:)

At The Woodlands CC our Director of Agronomy posts things on our website and writes articles for our Trails publication.  The Director of Golf also communicates via emails etc to the membership and posts things on the boards.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2002, 08:07:49 PM »
David,

At Pine Tree and GCGC the superintendent has a column in the monthly club publication.  I think it's a good idea, especially when seasonal or required agronomic or maintainance practices are put into effect.

Steve Curry

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 05:46:29 AM »
I write an article for the monthly newsletter but I also have an email list for about 100 members that I often send supplementary articles to.  

I also am a member and imbibe with many of the regulars which serves quite well for dissemination.

Steve

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back