News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

The Power of Ran?
« on: May 26, 2006, 09:31:53 AM »
Reading the Sutton Bay review reveals once again that Ran has a real ability to write golf course architecture reviews better than anyone that I have seen, and his brother was pretty close. For me, Ran's reviews were what drew me to GCA.com.

Playing and speaking with Ran last year, I am always amazed at his ability to remember details of courses that he has played once or twice compared to some that I have seen many times and can barely remember.

Now with family committments, the reviews are less in number which may make them more meaningful as he has to pick and choose his spots. I am curious to hear peoples opinions of their reach in terms of:

1. Highlighting a new or unknown architect;

2. Highlighting features for architects who post or lurk;

3. Marketing a new course. I know this is not Ran's intent, but can he influence membership numbers with a review? These reviews often bring raters from larger publications with wider circulations than the 1500 plus lurkers here;

3. Restoration trends of older courses?

Will Top 100 ever be replaced by "Ran Reviewed on GCA.com" or are they simply read by a few hundred golf geeks who would jump in a plane to see any old Doak 5 ?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:35:28 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Garland Bayley

Re:The Power of Ran?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 09:50:53 AM »
Ran has said how he debates the details of the course right after playing it. I think that helps a lot with remembering the details. Many of us play with people who could care less about the architecture so at best we can hold a debate in our mind.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 10:01:24 AM »
Will Top 100 ever be replaced by "Ran Reviewed on GCA.com" or are they simply read by a few hundred golf geeks who would jump in a plane to see any old Doak 5 ?

I think the unique and best part of a Ran review may be that Ran can find the essence of the golf course and not have to rely on a numerical rating to convey that course's character and merits.  Perhaps a pity for those that need a number to validate, and so much the better for us few hundred golf geeks. ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 10:07:08 AM »
Great questions - I tend to always pooh-pooh the "power" of this site, but those who know far more than me say it does have its effects.  So perhaps the man does have some real power.  I do know two things for certain though:

1.  Dick Daley's right on about these reviews and how they tell SO much more than any numerical rating; and

2. We'll see how much power he has if he's man enough to face me head to head with hickories next weekend... this time straight up, not begging for nine freakin' strokes due to his allegedly inferior equipment.

;D ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:22:19 AM »
Huck, Yet another reason I will be sitting home, stewing in my own juices, having missed this KP gathering and a chance to witness an epic match.  I don't suppose you have the power to send out that Yahoo jet to pick up last minute spectators? ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:26:23 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 02:29:28 PM »
A quick count says that there are currently 158 courses that Ran/John have written up (157 real ones and the Carthage Club.)

I think that he should look at turning it into a book.  Imagine it done with high quality pictures and graphics of routings and holes.  His writing in a quality production would be great.

Add in the 33 or so My Home Course descriptions as an added feature and we really get good.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 02:31:10 PM »
RJD - oh would that I had any real power.  The world would be a pretty fun place.   ;)

JV - that is one hell of a great idea... hmmmmm.... the wheels are turning.

TH

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 04:11:21 PM »
I suppose it would be called the Golf Club Atlas. Or the Golf Club Atlas.com Golf Club Atlas. But that's awkward.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:11:44 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 04:25:16 PM »
A quick count says that there are currently 158 courses that Ran/John have written up (157 real ones and the Carthage Club.)

I think that he should look at turning it into a book.  Imagine it done with high quality pictures and graphics of routings and holes.  His writing in a quality production would be great.

Add in the 33 or so My Home Course descriptions as an added feature and we really get good.

BINGO!!!
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Jim Thompson

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 08:20:53 PM »
I continue to hope Ran has business in Mishawaka soon ;D

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back