News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Discussion of Golf Course Architecture-What is that?
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
    As with most things it may be easier to define by what it is not. Picking apart what someone has written to point out inconsistencies is not discussion ; Badgering people because they won't answer your questions is not discussion ; Downgrading someone's opinion because it comes from a single play is not discussion. Playing the expert card is not discussion either. The whole sparring thing is not discussion. Let's hear what you think not some quick retort.

When someone offers a view and you have a different view expressing YOUR view is discussion.

Redanman's post on the Lawrence Largent thread about courses he played is a good example of trying to draw someone out rather than to intimidate them.

Asking for clarification  , specifics , or amplification also advances discussion.
AKA Mayday

Garland Bayley

Re:Discussion of Golf Course Architecture-What is that?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:38:46 PM »
"arguement ... 3. discussion in which there is disagreement; dispute; debate", Websters New World Dictionary (emphasis added)

Seems to go against the definition of discussion put forth.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:57:15 PM »
 Garland,

It is interesting that you gave the defintion of "argument" Merriam-Webster defines "discussion" as the "consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate." I can live with that.
AKA Mayday

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »
This isn't an argument, it's mere contradiction...
-No, it isn't!
Yes, it is!

;D

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:12:37 PM »
 Yes , Kyle , I am reminded of my favorite Monty Python bit!
AKA Mayday

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:14:06 PM »
Sometimes, Mayday, I think you accidentally walk into the "Abuse Room" when you post on here.  :P

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:17:18 PM »
 Accidental !?
AKA Mayday

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »
Garland,

It is interesting that you gave the defintion of "argument" Merriam-Webster defines "discussion" as the "consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate." I can live with that.
I gave the definition of argument, because I believed you to be constraining the definition of a truely general term. Perhaps there is a more constraining word than discussion that you wished to discuss.  ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 03:32:53 PM »
I was just referring to the purpose of this site. We often get lectures on here about off topic threads. I was just reacting to my recent annoyance that many architectural threads have deteriorated because of pettiness. I am just trying to challenge posters to do better.
AKA Mayday

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »
I think that is what some of the dispute posts are doing too. When someone posts a conclusion based on false suppositions, then they need to be challenged to get the facts, invalidate their false suppositions, and do better in the future.

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:45:17 PM »
 I am quite familiar with those tactics; they seem to me to be a lesser form of discussion. How often do they end up in pissing people off without bringing information to the table? It is my observation that" bringing something to the table" is more interesting. Off to the course!
AKA Mayday

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 05:01:43 PM »
Talk to Pat Mucci!!! Bring your evidence though!! Make sure it is of what the person said and what Mucci thinks the person meant when he said it!!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 05:44:03 PM »
Glenn,

Why talk to Mr. Mucci?

All you need for a good discussion is an Arthur Hills course and some trees in the middle of fairways*.
 ;D ;) ::)

*Michelle Wie too.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
I am quite familiar with those tactics; they seem to me to be a lesser form of discussion. How often do they end up in pissing people off without bringing information to the table? It is my observation that" bringing something to the table" is more interesting. Off to the course!
If someone has made a supposition without knowing the facts. Showing them they are wrong by giving them the facts and explaining how they negate the supposition is bringing information to the table.

Discussion is a very general term. Debate is a more restricted term. However, it too allows for countering the others arguments.

I can't off the top of my head think of a term the better fits your definition. Gossip is one that comes to mind, but I am sure you don't mean that.  ;)

Jim Thompson

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 10:13:02 PM »
And some still wonder why others stop posting for months at a time...
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back