News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Marc Haring

Bath GC
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:59:12 AM »
Those that know Bath GC will be aware that it is a nice Harry Colt design in a delightful part of the world. It really is a simple and enjoyable experience that has been discussed here before.

The hierarchy at the club are now proposing a re-routing that will give them two start points at the clubhouse, ideally of course the 1st and 10th. For those that know of the course, firstly is this wise and secondly for those that don’t, how can it be achieved?

I know this maybe a difficult task but a friend of mine who is their superintendent would like to take advantage of the brains on this site and I promised him I would try to help.

Below is the routing (from their website) http://www.bathgolfclub.org.uk/course.htm and maybe someone could post a couple of pictures of the course. I know they have been posted here before in a long ago discussion.

Thanks
Marc.

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Bath GC
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:53:12 AM »
Tried using the site search via Google and there are several references to Paul Turner's previous posting on this.  This is all I could get and if anyone finds Paul's original thread it would be interesting to know how you did it.  

Mark Rowlinson posted a couple on a thread about odds and ends.

Mark I think you’d be doing us all a favour if you could edit those thread titles to include the course name?  I’d certainly like to look back to see more of them.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=15612

Bath 1st, 305 yards par 4.  I'm not quite sure why I took this picture but it gives an unusual aspect to this short but steeply rising par 4.  Bath is a fascinating Colt course laid out on high downland full of historic earthworks.  Paul Turner (who else?) enticed us with some photos some months ago.

Bath 2nd, 300 yards par 4.  You can see that this will tempt the big hitter, but that big right-to-left slope will create havoc with the misdirected drive.  It rained heavily from this moment on - pity, for there are some very photogenic holes.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 08:54:22 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 08:09:34 AM »
Tony,

I'm trying to get my own website set up and I'll put all my old golf slides on it gradually.  As you know they are not of high quality but occasionally they are useful as a reference.  As I now have a little digital camera the quality might improve - but the weather doesn't.  It's raining here yet again.

Marc Haring

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 01:01:32 AM »
Hi Mark

You've played Bath. What is your opinion on what they're proposal of redesigning it so that they can get the 2 start points. I'd be very interested to know?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 10:35:29 AM »
Changing the existing holes to a double loop appears near impossible, particularly with no knowledge of the topography.  The left side of #2 certainly looks like a steep fall off to the left.  The only close existing green is #8, and might be 500 yards from the clubhouse if #1 is just over 300 yards.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 02:16:28 PM »
Marc,  The problem is that the clubhouse is at the bottom of a steep hill up which you must climb to reach the 1st green.  So, it seems to me that if you need alternative starting points you have to move the clubhouse - expensive!  But I don't have the vision of a golf club architect.  There is already some chaos in the area of the clubhouse with the 8th tee shot played out across the 18th fairway.  If you are talking about creating brand new holes, the topography is a major factor - there are lots of hills and big drops.

If anyone wants to draw it out to scale here are the hole lengths:

1 302/4
2 289/4
3 411/4
4 172/3
5 466/4
6 530/5
7 334/4
8 361/4
9 402/4

10 347/4
11 183/3
12 394/4
13 468/4
14 158 3
15 483/5
16 359/4
17 304/4
18 406/4

There is another factor, which is that the map suggests that the 5th green and 6th tee are close to the 14th and 15th holes.  They are not.  They are separated by a large chunk of non-golf-club land.  There is also a practice area between the 10th and 12th holes.  

If the requirement is to get two greens and two tees close enough together to be able to form 9th and 18th greens and 1st and 10th tees, then there is only two: where the 1st and 7th greens and 2nd and 8th tees are fairly close; also 16th and 8th greens, 9th and 17th tees.  The trouble with the former is the hills, with the latter that there is no access through Bath University.

But, as I say, I have no vision, which is one (of many!) reason why I am not a golf course architect!

Mark.

Frank Pont

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 12:17:13 PM »
Marc,

let the club contact me, I'm happy to see if I can help them ahead, hate to see bad things happen to lovely original Colt courses!

A good aerail picture would help, unfortunately Google Earth doesn't cover the course yet.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »
Paul Turners thread about Bath:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=7927

The URL:s for the uploaded pictures are not working though.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 06:07:06 PM »
A couple more pictures

The 14th

And the approach to 17.

Eric, congratulations, how did you find that thread?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back