News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChasLawler

An Owner's folly...an Architect's responsibility?
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:43:46 PM »
If a club approaches an architect about a plan it wants to implement, does the architect have an obligation to tell the club if it he doesn’t think it will work? Or rather…if he takes the job (and tells the club he can do it), should he be held responsible in some way if he doesn’t pull it off?

As an example...

In the effort to create some more space around the clubhouse, my club initiated a concept of re-routing the golf course. For now I’d like to set aside the question of why our club decided to do this to a 1910 Herbert Barker layout with 1920 renovation input from Donald Ross. Something about a future pool expansion….

The club’s “consulting architect” was brought in to complete the plans. In the end what was once a large driving range, a short par 4 1st hole and a par 3 2nd hole were converted into 3 holes and a narrower driving range. The original 17th and 18th (2 short par 4’s) were combined, so there are still 18 holes. Interestingly all of this is a result of wanting to move the 18th green approximately 100 yards.

With the new configuration, the new #1, #2 and #3 basically wrap around the driving range.

The immediate issue at hand is the driving range. Below is a photo of the 1st hole and the driving range during construction. In this photo the 1st hole has recently been sodded in the middle of the photo. The driving range (still dirt) is just over the mound on the right (you can just make out one of the target greens in lighter sand). The 3rd hole is out of sight on the far (right) side of the driving range over another large mound (but before the trees). That’s a future practice green in the bottom right.

It seemed obvious from the beginning that there really wasn’t enough space for the new holes AND the driving range. Many members were concerned that balls from the driving range would fly into the new 1st and 3rd fairways, but the architect assured the membership that his design would prevent anything like this. He constructed 2 very large mounds (which you can see in the picture above) that separate the 1st hole and driving range and 3rd hole and driving range. The new 2nd hole (a short par 3) is at the end of the driving range and is safely out of “range”.

Well…the course and driving range opened up for play last month and after only 2 weeks, members have been restricted to hitting shots of 175 yards or less because miss-hit shots from the range were flying into the 1st and 3rd fairways.  Members were assured that the golf committee and architect would resolve the issue shortly.

I just received a letter outlining the remedy – which is to relocate a couple of target greens closer to the center of the range. In closing, the letter mentioned that many clubs in our area have been forced to adopt the use of limited distance range balls due to the impact of new technology in golf, and that even with the improvements the club is making, these balls will need to be considered for our range. This project was initiated in late 2004, so I find it hard to believe technology really has anything to do with this, and frankly am somewhat offended that the technology card was even raised.

Obviously much of the blame falls on the club for even initiating the concept, but should the architect be held responsible in any way? A lot of dirt was moved and a lot money was spent on this project.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:14:17 PM by Cabell_Ackerly »

Ryan Farrow

Re:An Owner's folly...an Architect's responsibility?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 04:32:15 PM »
Honestly, I would leave the club if they pulled off something like this.

How is newly reclaimed open space near the clubhouse?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 04:39:59 PM »
Cabell:

When real estate is tight, changes sometimes lead to unanticipated consequences.  That is the last kind of project for which a club committee should come up with a plan.  But I've seen similar circumstances on other projects.

As for the architect -- he has to live with the results and its effect on his getting future jobs, as his punishment for agreeing to take on what might have been an impossible task.  But I'm not sure there is anything there which would amount to "malpractice", certainly not if the committee was responsible for the general concept and the architect made any written comment about space being rather tight.

ChasLawler

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »
Thanks Tom. Just to clarify…I believe the board told the architect what they wanted to do...which was essentially to move the original 18th green about 100 yards. This was to make room for future expansion of other facilities.

Unfortunately the only direction in which they could move the green was closer to the tee. The original 18th was only about 330 yards, and the club had no interest in making it a par 3. The original course was a par 69, and right or wrong, no one wanted a par 68.

The architect came up with the plan to consolidate the original 17th and 18th holes and use part of the old driving range to create an additional new hole. The fact that his new configuration gave the club a par 70 course was unfortunately a huge selling factor.

Ryan – the newly reclaimed space creates the room necessary for a very grand future aquatics expansion. Most of the members will love it.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 05:31:54 PM »
Cabell, this thread makes me think of a public course I played in MD last week....going from 9th green to 10 tee one has to take a 200 yd journey up the right side of the 10th hole, right thru Slicers Alley...they have 20 baby trees planted that might protect you in 20 years but not now

later on the back side after one finishes playing a par 3, the tee for the next hole is short and right of the green...I'm thinking this is also dangerous when sure enough a tee shot almost  gets our group

and these 2 disasters in addition to many long journeys from tee to green ::)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 10:19:39 PM »
Wow,

So, the club now has a stern finish but the first three holes suck and the driving range became an irons range???

I don't understand people sometimes.

Hell, ditch the driving range altogether.  
Get a net near #1 tee for people to loosen up.

Put the best possible course on the property.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back